Author Topic: Another fabrication involving a General... or, it was time something was done  (Read 14222 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
I’ve had my MAK 1-Star for a little over a year now and it was always my intention to make my own bottom shelf because I am so cheap and it’s easy to say, “I can make that.”  But you know how intentions can go.  Anyway, I finally said enough is enough with the storing of the pellet buckets under the grill on the deck and built the darn thing.  I while back my kid was throwing out an old steel bed frame so I grabbed it thinking good raw materials for a future project.  So my cost in the thing is for the expanded steel and paint which is supposed to be a hammered finish look which hides imperfections.  Oh yeah, needed a lot of that.  Total cost was about $30.  I wanted the shelf to be the depth of the grill and low enough to put plastic pellet buckets on without worrying about heat issues.  I’m posting it here because it might give others ideas.  Thanks for looking.

Dean

"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Excellent job.  I would never know that it wasn't a factory job.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL

Nice!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Looks like a professional installation, you should start an after market business for these things.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Looks like a professional installation, you should start an after market business for these things.  ;)

X2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokerjunky

PERFECTION!!!!!!!  I really like the mesh shelf as opposed to a solid that will collect "Stuff".  Great workmanship!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
That looks awesome! Many pellet grills only have a bottom shelf as an extra cost option, and frankly they need a bottom shelf for stability, as well as storage. Great job!
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Dean,
That is a great job of adding the bottom shelf.  Well thought out and implemented. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
Thanks for the complements, guys.  But trust me, I'm no welder. 

That looks awesome! Many pellet grills only have a bottom shelf as an extra cost option, and frankly they need a bottom shelf for stability, as well as storage. Great job!

I agree, with this exception.  The MAK 1 legs are so rigid that no extra support is needed on this cooker.  This shelf just rests on the legs.  It will lift right out like the OEM one.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Pappymn

Come up with a nice front shelf next please. I'm too cheap to buy it.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL

Did you add those extensions that the wheels are screwed into?  My MAK #0 doesn't have those..

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Awesome mod!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
Did you add those extensions that the wheels are screwed into?  My MAK #0 doesn't have those..

Yep.  I did a writeup on another forum and since I don't know if I can post a link, I will just do a cut and paste.

When I was looking for a pellet grill I went to a dealer who had a 1 Star and a 2 Star side by side. One of the first things I noticed was the difference in cooking heights between the two with the 1 Star being 32” and the 2 Star being 35” which felt like the right height for me. The problem was that I really wanted the 1 Star, so that’s what I purchased with the intention of increasing its cooking height.
So this is how I made the 1 Star taller. I had a local machine shop make risers (spacers) that were 2 inches in diameter and 2.5” long with 3/8-16 holes in each end. I made 4 studs from bolts and screwed them into one end with Loctite. I was going to make them 3” long so the height would be the same as the 2 Star but my gasser is 34” tall so I split the difference. The risers make my cooking height 34.5”. The whole thing cost $60.

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
PERFECTION!!!!!!!  I really like the mesh shelf as opposed to a solid that will collect "Stuff".  Great workmanship!
x2
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
All looks very well made ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.