Author Topic: 2 weekends, 2 briskets  (Read 3893 times)

Offline scottv

Re: 2 weekends, 2 briskets
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
Two briskets and you didn't share,  shame on you  ;) ;) ;)

Those look great  :) :)
I shared with my wife ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 02:17:16 PM »
Two briskets and you didn't share,  shame on you  ;) ;) ;)

Those look great  :) :)
I shared with my wife ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Smart man :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline John25

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »
i read about doing that on here, can't remember who came up with that, but i tried it once and man i have never done it any other way.  it does take much longer but i noticed the brisket was just more tender when i cooked it longer.  i guess it is true, slower cooking allows the fibers to open up.  don't know if that is truth or not but i can definitely attest to a lo and slow cook on the pbc took my brisket to a different level!

Not trying to be argumentative,  but if you cook brisket  (ribs and pork butts as well) to a feel and not to a certain internal temperature you'll get just as tender (and more consistent) results.  Brisket should be cooked to "probe tender" meaning when you can insert a probe in the thickest part of the flat and it goes in with little to no resistance, it's done.  This can happen anywhere from 195°-210° which is why going by temperature won't give you consistent results.  It also needs to rest for about an hour.

Again, not trying to say one person's way is right or wrong.  If plugging the holes and cooking at 225 works for you then keep doing it.  I'm just pointing out that you can get a tender brisket cooking at 275-300°.  Matter of fact a lot of "professional" pit masters cook at that temp.  Aaron Franklin is one..... :)

Do you have consistent results on brisket with this method? This way has been hit or miss for me. I have some exceptional briskets and some that are too dry. I do agree with the probe tender method. I have compared it to sticking a toothpick in a cake when it's done.

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
i read about doing that on here, can't remember who came up with that, but i tried it once and man i have never done it any other way.  it does take much longer but i noticed the brisket was just more tender when i cooked it longer.  i guess it is true, slower cooking allows the fibers to open up.  don't know if that is truth or not but i can definitely attest to a lo and slow cook on the pbc took my brisket to a different level!

Not trying to be argumentative,  but if you cook brisket  (ribs and pork butts as well) to a feel and not to a certain internal temperature you'll get just as tender (and more consistent) results.  Brisket should be cooked to "probe tender" meaning when you can insert a probe in the thickest part of the flat and it goes in with little to no resistance, it's done.  This can happen anywhere from 195°-210° which is why going by temperature won't give you consistent results.  It also needs to rest for about an hour.

Again, not trying to say one person's way is right or wrong.  If plugging the holes and cooking at 225 works for you then keep doing it.  I'm just pointing out that you can get a tender brisket cooking at 275-300°.  Matter of fact a lot of "professional" pit masters cook at that temp.  Aaron Franklin is one..... :)

Do you have consistent results on brisket with this method? This way has been hit or miss for me. I have some exceptional briskets and some that are too dry. I do agree with the probe tender method. I have compared it to sticking a toothpick in a cake when it's done.

I have had good results this way.  One time I got in a hurry and didn't let the brisket get probe tender and it was a tad dry.  One thing I forgot to mention is I don't get select briskets,  only choice.  Never cooked a prime either though. 

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »
Nice job! You learned from your first brisket and had success. I'll take some of the slices from the point end please... oh and some of those burnt ends!

Not trying to be argumentative,  but if you cook brisket  (ribs and pork butts as well) to a feel and not to a certain internal temperature you'll get just as tender (and more consistent) results. 

I agree with you 100%. I also stopped going by temp years ago, and started going by the probe test for briskets & pork shoulder both.  I just find I get a lot more consistent results. :)

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »
Looked great, nice work!