Author Topic: Holy Picanha!  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Kona

Holy Picanha!
« Reply #-1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:25:59 PM »
Now, I have never heard of this cut, never tried it before but saw it in my meat market this morning and thought what the heck. OMG this cut is outstanding! I didn't know what to really do with it, it had a thick fat cap on one side which I had cut off. I rubbed it with kosher salt for a couple hours, then pepper, garlic and cayenne. Hung it till the internal temp hit 125. Pulled it and put in the grate and let the coals get nice and hot. Put it on the grate just to give the outside a little char. This piece of meat is one of the best cuts I have ever had. Very flavorful and tender!

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

Holy Picanha!
« on: May 21, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
I believe that is a Brazilian cut that they serve in Brazilian steak houses. Great find and result
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Kona

Re: Holy Picanha!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »
I believe that is a Brazilian cut that they serve in Brazilian steak houses. Great find and result

Yup it's the top sirloin cap from the rump of the animal. It's not a muscle and barely moves which keeps the cut very tender
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

Holy Picanha!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »
If you don't mind me asking. What is the per pound price?
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
If you don't mind me asking. What is the per pound price?

it was $4.99lb. I also threw a couple chunks of hickory in the coals which gave it a nice wood grilled flavor
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »
Great buy on the protein!  It looks really good.  I will have to see if I can find that cut around here.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pappymn

Holy Picanha!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 05:41:31 PM »
Wow, by Minnesota standards that is cheap
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 06:20:52 PM »
That is one pretty piece of beef ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »
That does look good!!! I never see it here. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »

Yup it's the top sirloin cap from the rump of the animal. It's not a muscle and barely moves which keeps the cut very tender

Are you talking about a cut of beef...or Pappy's thinkin' gizzard...? ( sorry Pap...I couldn't help it....) :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 11:25:59 AM »
I believe this is the same cut Albert cooks on the rotessorie.  He made it at Jacks last year. Cook till the doneness desired and shave off the putter edge. Reseason and place it back on the grill and do it all over again.
  Results are awesome. . .

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pappymn

Holy Picanha!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »

Are you talking about a cut of beef...or Pappy's thinkin' gizzard...? ( sorry Pap...I couldn't help it....) :D :D :D
Steady.......I have pictures
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »

Steady.......I have pictures

Uh.... I swear thought that grill on the store sidewalk was free...... :D  ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
Now, I have never heard of this cut, never tried it before but saw it in my meat market this morning and thought what the heck. OMG this cut is outstanding! I didn't know what to really do with it, it had a thick fat cap on one side which I had cut off. I rubbed it with kosher salt for a couple hours, then pepper, garlic and cayenne. Hung it till the internal temp hit 125. Pulled it and put in the grate and let the coals get nice and hot. Put it on the grate just to give the outside a little char. This piece of meat is one of the best cuts I have ever had. Very flavorful and tender!

Congrats on a nice cook.  As a fellow South Floridian, I bet you got that meat at Western Beef.  Actually it is tri-tip but they prefer to sell it as Picanha.  Price used to be around $6.99 a lb but they lowered it recently.  I also prep with just salt, pepper and a little granulated garlic.  This cut is so tender and flavorful, it doesn't need much

Offline Kona

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »

Congrats on a nice cook.  As a fellow South Floridian, I bet you got that meat at Western Beef.  Actually it is tri-tip but they prefer to sell it as Picanha.  Price used to be around $6.99 a lb but they lowered it recently.  I also prep with just salt, pepper and a little granulated garlic.  This cut is so tender and flavorful, it doesn't need much

I did get it at western beef, it is a form of tri tip but it's the top sirloin and not the bottom like the usual tri tip steak. I read it's commonly confused. It had almost a half inch of fat cap on one side of it that I cut off.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC