Author Topic: Digiq  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Erp1977

Digiq
« Reply #-1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:53:44 PM »
Anybody aware of a digiq or other temp control type device for the pit barrel cooker?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Digiq
« on: May 29, 2016, 12:07:28 AM »
None that I am aware of. The PBC was designed to be a set it and forget it charcoal fired power cooker.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 08:17:30 PM »
It is not for the PBC but I have heard of people using one with it...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »
I saw a couple people over on the Facebook group "Pit Barrel Nation" using the PartyQ with their PBC.  This is the kit one person recommended as they don't make one specifically for the PBC:

https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=34&AdviceGrillId=89

You just have to bend the adapter to make it fit the curve of the barrel and then drill it for a screw to hold it tight.

None that I am aware of. The PBC was designed to be a set it and forget it charcoal fired power cooker.

The PBC is certainly much more "set it and forget it" than many other smokers but it still could be more hands off.  There are definitely times when I've had to crack the lid to get the temp back up.

At least once a summer I do a big cook with a sizeable pork butt and a sizeable packer brisket.  I always have trouble maintaining temps during those cooks and I don't always have the time to sit by my PBC to monitor things.  I have 3 small kids that I have to help watch and I have a job where I'm constantly on call and could be pulled away at any time.  So, I need to make my PBC a little more hands off and so I bought a PartyQ this week.

I'm doing my big cook next week so I can let you know how it goes.  However, I'm excited about using this device to cook larger cuts of meat.  I won't bother with it for ribs and chicken and the like.

Offline Toddler

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 04:27:44 AM »
Thinking about picking up at least one PBC (or more) for comps, so I'm interested in this topic as well.  I had emailed Noah about this a few weeks ago, and he invited me to call and discuss, but I have been putting it off.  I fully appreciate that the PBC is engineered so that this isn't necessary for the typical user, but in competition, timing is critical.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
Mike is right on ,the PBC works great without watching Temperature. I like to watch temp and cook low and slow at times. I have had the Party Q for about three months now and love it. I have cooked from 250 to 325 and it keeps temp dead on. Just make sure you turn it on about 20 degrees before you reach target temp.

This one works great ...

https://bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=34&AdviceGrillId=89
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:25:17 PM by jjjonz »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »
Mike is right on ,the PBC works great without watching Temperature. I like to watch temp and cook low and slow at times. I have had the Party Q for about three months now and love it. I have cooked from 250 to 325 and it keeps temp dead on. Just make sure you turn it on about 20 degrees before you reach target temp.

This one works great ...

https://bbqguru.com/StoreNav/GuruCookerGuide?ProductId=34&AdviceGrillId=86

Do you want the Grill Dome adapter or the XL Grill Dome adapter?  I ordered the XL because that's what I saw mentioned on PB Nation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:12:04 PM by MikeC01 »

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »
You are right Mike....it was the XL Grill Dome adaptor. I ordered.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Toddler

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »
Any chance we could see a photo of the adapter in place?  As they say, 1000 words.

Offline Toddler

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »
Answering my own question (courtesy of the good people at BBQ Guru customer service, who were kind enough to supply the photo and commentary):

We have a pit barrel here in the showroom and I was able to use our XL grill dome adaptor.  I bent it a little by hand so that it mimics the radius of the barrel then I put the bottom lip of the adaptor inside the barrel and it sits down into the small groove that goes around where the bottom and side walls of the cooker come together.  The adaptor port goes outside the cooker then I drilled a hole where the existing damper door screw goes and then just used the screw and nut that came with the cooker and it pulls up nice and tight.

Offline JustAl

• Hot Rods, Bourbon & BBQ Baby!!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 12:06:33 AM »
I bought the DX2 and love it. Did a 225 degree 6 hr. small pork butt and a 225 degree 7hr. brisket flat memorial weekend. Used hardly any charcoal. A mix of Stubbs and lump.
You really have to choke the PBC down. I used the grate so I was able to use one of the rebar holes to run the temp probes. I sealed that with aluminum foil. The other holes were covered with fridge magnets leaving one hole with about a 1/4 in gap. Temp fluctuated 5 degrees a few times but the DigiQ brought it right back.
Pic is the mod I did to the charcoal basket. Drilled the holes so that the blower would blow right into the basket. Worked Great.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 01:19:45 AM by JustAl »
Pit Barrel Cooker With DigiQ DX2
CharBroil Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Kona

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 01:24:09 PM »
I'm curious about buying one of these, I do love the set it and forget it of the PBC but there are times I love to do true low and slow. In regards to a temp controller, what do you do with the rebar holes at the top? Do you leave them in as normal for hanging meat? If you put something on the grate do you plug the holes in any way or just leave the bars as is?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline JustAl

• Hot Rods, Bourbon & BBQ Baby!!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 03:43:37 PM »
I'm curious about buying one of these, I do love the set it and forget it of the PBC but there are times I love to do true low and slow. In regards to a temp controller, what do you do with the rebar holes at the top? Do you leave them in as normal for hanging meat? If you put something on the grate do you plug the holes in any way or just leave the bars as is?

If using the rebar, I would seal 3 holes with aluminum foil. You'll have to wait till the PBC temp regulates and adjust the 4th hole with foil then.
Pit Barrel Cooker With DigiQ DX2
CharBroil Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Toddler

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

I bet you could just cork all the rebar holes and add a Weber-style top vent to the lid, basically allowing you to convert the BPS into a mini-UDS when you want to.