Author Topic: Kingsford Professional Briquets - Costco Sale 6/9-7/3 2016  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Toddler

Kingsford Professional Briquets - Costco Sale 6/9-7/3 2016
« Reply #-1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:45:15 PM »
I wanted to let you guys know that Kingsford Professional Briquets (formerly "Competition") will be going on sale at Costco from June 9th through July 3rd, 2016.  They will be selling the 2/18lb bag bundle for $15.69 after $4.30 instant savings.

I don't see much talk about these here, although I do see a lot of PBC owners say that the KBB charcoal flavor is too strong for them.  The Kingsford Professional Briquets light easily, don't have that KBB smell, and produce a lot less ash.  The only ingredients are wood char, starch (binder) and borax (to release from the press molds).  No coal or limestone, which is found in the KBB product.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Offline Kona

I just picked up the two pack of regular KBB from Lowes for 9.99. I couldn't pass that deal up but I much prefer Stubbs but will use KBB in a pinch  :) I'll have to try those once and see how they are, thanks for the post!
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Toddler

Re: Kingsford Professional Briquets - Costco Sale 6/9-7/3 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Sure thing.  Long-time member here, but I obviously don't post much.  I'm a moderator on another BBQ forum and a KCBS pro cook and master judge.  I am interested in adding the PBC to my arsenal, but numerous comments about the heavy KBB flavor have helped keep my AMEX in my wallet (and owning a dozen other grills/smokers already).  So I'd love to hear feedback if any of you do try the Kingsford Professional Briquets.

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »
Sure thing.  Long-time member here, but I obviously don't post much.  I'm a moderator on another BBQ forum and a KCBS pro cook and master judge.  I am interested in adding the PBC to my arsenal, but numerous comments about the heavy KBB flavor have helped keep my AMEX in my wallet (and owning a dozen other grills/smokers already).  So I'd love to hear feedback if any of you do try the Kingsford Professional Briquets.

I don't mind the standard Kingsford Blue charcoal flavor, but I can understand why it's not for everyone. I use Stubbs not because I dislike the KBB but because the flavor is much better IMO. It has a natural wood grilled flavor compared to the KBB
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 04:35:07 PM »
someone did post on here that they did try it...

"
I have. They seemed to have a lighter charcoal flavor to me but they burned a little hotter and faster than normal Kingsford."
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Toddler

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »
Yeah, I saw that comment, but that's pretty sparse feedback.  My pro cookers are pellet units, which is about as clean as wood can burn, and pellets just don't impart much flavor to chicken.  Stubbs is quite a bit more expensive for me to get my hands on.  I'd love for someone familiar with Stubbs to tell me that the Kingsford Competition is a worthy substitute.  :)

Offline Kona

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
I'll see if I an snag a bag this next week and give it a shot, I use stubbs all the time so I'm very familiar with the flavor profile
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
I wanted to let you guys know that Kingsford Professional Briquets (formerly "Competition") will be going on sale at Costco from June 9th through July 3rd, 2016.  They will be selling the 2/18lb bag bundle for $15.69 after $4.30 instant savings.

I don't see much talk about these here, although I do see a lot of PBC owners say that the KBB charcoal flavor is too strong for them.  The Kingsford Professional Briquets light easily, don't have that KBB smell, and produce a lot less ash.  The only ingredients are wood char, starch (binder) and borax (to release from the press molds).  No coal or limestone, which is found in the KBB product.

I have given up on KBB.  Our local South Florida Walmart is selling Royal Oak briquettes at $7.84 for a 2 x 12 lb pack.  A great deal for a wonderful product

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:33:23 AM »

I have given up on KBB.  Our local South Florida Walmart is selling Royal Oak briquettes at $7.84 for a 2 x 12 lb pack.  A great deal for a wonderful product

I have not given up on KBB, but.....I will ONLY use it in a pinch!
I have been doing a side by side taste experiment for awhile now. At least in my family everyone including me very much prefers the cleaner taste of Royal Oak! I have been feeling this way for awhile but had four bags of KBB to use up. Down to one now, but Menard's had 18# bags of Royal Oak priced at $4.99 a bag. I bought 12 bags!

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 01:02:49 PM »

how is the heat from the royal oak? does it burn hotter or pretty much the same?

I have not given up on KBB, but.....I will ONLY use it in a pinch!
I have been doing a side by side taste experiment for awhile now. At least in my family everyone including me very much prefers the cleaner taste of Royal Oak! I have been feeling this way for awhile but had four bags of KBB to use up. Down to one now, but Menard's had 18# bags of Royal Oak priced at $4.99 a bag. I bought 12 bags!
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Toddler

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »
Smokin Papa Steve, hikerman -- you guys did notice that this deal is not for KBB, right?  It is for the Kingsford Professional (formerly "Competition") briquets.  It's just wood char -- it's a completely different formulation than the KBB.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 08:30:55 PM »
Just wanted to put a plug in for Toddler.  He really knows what he is talking about and will provide excellent information on BBQ.  He may be modest but has done very well in competitions and is an excellence source for our questions.  Welcome to this forum; you will find in very friendly.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:18:14 PM »
Smokin Papa Steve, hikerman -- you guys did notice that this deal is not for KBB, right?  It is for the Kingsford Professional (formerly "Competition") briquets.  It's just wood char -- it's a completely different formulation than the KBB.

Hiya Toddler, I did see the difference.  I'm sorry if my comment took some of your thunder away!  I guess my comment was more about KBB vs RO. I know nothing about K Pro or Ro Pro but have heard good reviews of each. I prefer a neutral flavor from coal and enjoy adding a wood flavor of my choosing.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »
Toddler sounds like he is going to fit right in with this friendly bunch of knowledgeable cookers  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline JimmyV

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »
Welcome Toddler. I actually really like the Kingsford Competition. I picked some up one sale at Costco and it turned out to be a great find. Definitely a cleaner flavor than KBB but it does burn a little hotter and faster.