Author Topic: Kingsford Professional Briquets - Costco Sale 6/9-7/3 2016  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Re: Kingsford Professional Briquets - Costco Sale 6/9-7/3 2016
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 10:14:04 AM »
Smokin Papa Steve, hikerman -- you guys did notice that this deal is not for KBB, right?  It is for the Kingsford Professional (formerly "Competition") briquets.  It's just wood char -- it's a completely different formulation than the KBB.

Good point to emphasize but I still am not enamored with Kingsford products.  However I would be interested to hear others comment about,Professional .  For now I will stick with Royal Oak briquettes and Stubbs, if my local Lowes has it in stock. 

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
I got this from Costco a couple of weeks ago for I believe it was $9.98. Anyone use it before?

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
Never seen it before. If it is from Mexico, it might be mesquite.  We have a bunch of that here on the left coast..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
There is a science to mixing cocktails, sauces, rubs etc. Why not mix Charcoals blends & types?

You know like six pieces of this with five pieces of that & so on.  We mix in some wood with charcoal but why not charcoal with charcoal even three or four types for flavor & or temp.

Again, I am not a pro like most of you but I grew up with Kingsford & all my friends use it. Because of that I love that taste. When I have used others or been to some ones house it has never been a problem for me.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 04:28:42 PM »
Interesting thread, never thought about the charcoal besides using briquettes vs lump. 

I have used KBB before, but now am using Royal Oak and then something else that I picked up at the local BBQ supply store called Royal Oak Chef Selects briquettes.  The teams at competition were buying boat loads of the Chef Select the day of competition, so I thought to give it a try.  40lb for $19.  About .47/ lb.  A little more expensive than the KBB when on sale, but cheaper than the regular price.  Overall, no noticeable flavor and burns a little on the hot side from what I have seen.

I may wait for the Professional to go on sale again and try it out to compare it to the RO Select.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 04:31:11 PM »
Wish I were a COSTCO member, I'd give it a try.

(Apologizing in advance for potential thread-jacking.)

But my question is this . . . . . Why do I (and by I, I mean me, my GF, my parents, my kids (and their families), my brother, sisters and their familes) seem to be the only ones who really don't have a problem with KBB.  I've never even really noticed a "taste" from the charcoal.

And it's not just on this forum, but on the couple of others that I drop in on from time time.  It seems like most people have a problem with that product.

BD

Is my entire family (including In-Laws) just cursed (or blessed) with no taste buds?
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »

But my question is this . . . . . Why do I (and by I, I mean me, my GF, my parents, my kids (and their families), my brother, sisters and their familes) seem to be the only ones who really don't have a problem with KBB.  I've never even really noticed a "taste" from the charcoal.

And it's not just on this forum, but on the couple of others that I drop in on from time time.  It seems like most people have a problem with that product.

BD

Is my entire family (including In-Laws) just cursed (or blessed) with no taste buds?

I was wondering the same thing about my family BD. Been using KBB for years and no problems. I do prefer Stubbs, but at the price of 1 bag of Stubbs I can buy a 2 pack of Kingsford. I, personally don't like Royal Oak, but to each his own. I have used the Kingsford Comp before and it is okay but burns a lot faster.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »
I got this from Costco a couple of weeks ago for I believe it was $9.98. Anyone use it before?

I have never seen this brand here in South Florida.  But if it is made in Mexico, I would be wary about buying it. Last year I purchased a bag of Lump sold under the Visions brand (made in Mexico).  Worst ever product.  Took forever to get going and when it did, it was like the fourth of July fireworks coming out of the Chimney.  And the bag had about 30% wastage. I contacted the the company and they sent another bag.  Still had a lot of wastage and same problem so I ended up dumping it. I am sticking with made in USA products.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 08:06:16 PM »

I was wondering the same thing about my family BD. Been using KBB for years and no problems. I do prefer Stubbs, but at the price of 1 bag of Stubbs I can buy a 2 pack of Kingsford. I, personally don't like Royal Oak, but to each his own. I have used the Kingsford Comp before and it is okay but burns a lot faster.

Well, I got a couple of bags of Stubbs donated to the Sultans of Swine.  But I figure one bag will make it onto my deck ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 09:46:31 PM »

BD

Same here I can't taste it
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
Never seen it before. If it is from Mexico, it might be mesquite.  We have a bunch of that here on the left coast..............

I checked the bag again yesterday and it doesn't say what wood it's made from. My guess is it's probably mesquite too. It does seeem to be a nice full bag of decent chunks and not so much small crap. Haven't used it yet.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Custom made Deep Fryer

Offline Sandman

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
I be a kingsford guy but my have the give some other brands a go just for fun.

Offline Toddler

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 03:49:37 AM »
Just a bump as a reminder that the sale begins today.

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »

I used some of this lump yesterday to grill some boneless pork chops. Nice medium sized chunks. Worked well.

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Custom made Deep Fryer

Offline SouthGAQue

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
I have never had an issue with taste using KBB, but the huge amount of ash was always a problem on long cooks in my UDS.  I started using RO lump & liked the result as long as I was going to cook 275+.  I tried Stubbs & that became my go to charcoal.  Most of the time, cooking chicken in my UDS, I used Stubbs only with no wood chunks.  Got a nice mild smoke flavor that did not overpower the chicken.   When I got my Assassin smoker, the team I bought it from & the company owner, Jeff Conley, both recommend Kingsford Competition (now Professional). I happened upon some closeout stock of KComp at Walmart for $2.50/bag & bought all the had.  I burns really well in the Assassin.  A little more ash than I expected but still like the results.  I did one short cook with a mix of Stubbs (only had less than 1/2 bag on hand) and RO lump.  Liked the result there also. 

I guess I said all that to say this; I like the Kingford Professional (Competition) briqs much more than KBB. It has a cleaner smell starting upa fire & does produce less ash than KBB.  Don't have actual measurements, but it seems to me that Stubbs produces a good bit less ash that KPro.  I am more than willing to pay extra what I feel is a better overall product than KBB.
Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker
2 UDS
Chargiller Offset
Weber Kettle
Charbroil Gasser.