Author Topic: New PBC and some learning curve issues  (Read 3690 times)

Offline jjjonz

Re: New PBC and some learning curve issues
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
Welcome Mike....I have had mine a little over a year now. The more I use it the more I love it. Everything is so  easy on it and turns out some great bbq.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 10:59:20 AM »
Going to do some St Louis ribs and wings this evening and will report back. Going to use Stubbs again as I have a half bag left and that seemed to burn and work better than the Kingsford heat wise. Thinking I just had a strange chicken last go with the stall.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »
The important part is the lighting process. When venturing into a long cook, it is important to not let the coals get too hot before adding the meat. We are looking for coals that will be burning slowly from the top to the bottom for ideal results. Some people tend to let their coals ash over before starting a long cook and their temps will plummet because they burned too hot at the beginning and become exhausted during the cook.

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
So I think I figured out my issue with the temps. All I had for a chimney was a full size one and couldn't find any of the small ones locally. I think my coals were getting too hot due to the larger surface area with the large starter.  Ordered a small starter and the temps are damn near perfect and consistent every time now! The thought hadn't crossed my mind originally but once I thought about it it made perfect sense. Goes along with what Noah and Amber were saying, if the starter coals get too hot and ash over they loose their energy and are hot to start but fade fast. Another lesson learned!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
Sounds like you're cookin' now!  :)

Never hesitate to contact us if you have questions or concerns.