Author Topic: whole pig on PBC  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Durham Smoker

whole pig on PBC
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
I had a plan to do a small 15-20 lb sucking pig on my kettle rotisserie.  Just got back from butcher and smallest thing they could get was a 29 pound pig.

I told them to cut off teh head so it would fit on the kettle but now i was wondering if I should try the PBC?

Any thoughts?

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Re: whole pig on PBC
« on: June 10, 2016, 12:57:58 PM »
If you do please take pics and give a report! I have no experience doing a whole pig and am just learning my PBC but I'm not sure why it wouldn't work as long as it fits. Very curious to hear what others have to say.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 01:21:31 PM »
would a round of coals last for 29lbs of meat or would more need to be added through the cook?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Durham Smoker

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:48:53 PM »
from what I can tell it will most likely take 5 hours or so at 275-300.  Should be fine with the coals as I've easily had them last for 8.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »
Someone here talked about this way back when. They were folding the pig in half long ways into a square shape basically.  I never saw any results though.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline JimmyV

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
I've actually been pondering this idea myself. I would be very interested to see the process/results if you do give it a try.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 02:49:11 AM »
This is a definite PBC challenge. Watching for your results...

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Durham Smoker

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »
So I gave it a shot yesterday.  I had to truss the pig almost in a circle to fit on the rack.  No way it could have hung.  Way too long.  I had to use two 10 lb dumbbells to hold the lid down as the pig was too big.  The rebars couldn't go in due to size of pig so I controlled the temp for 4 hours with magnets.

I was able to keep pit temp between 300-325 for about 4 hours.  At this point the IT was 165 or so in most places except the parts that were pressed together by my trussing.  These were only about 125.

So I had to cut off the hams, leave them on the PBC and finish the rest of pig on the weber Kettle with a small layer of coal as the underdone parts were on the underside of the body cavity.

All in all I was able to get it done and my guests loved the outcome.  In reality the challenge with whole hog cooking is that different muscles such as hams and shoulders cook at different rates and ideal internal temps then things like loins.

This is why here in Carolina whole hogs are butterflied and cooked on pig cookers and the art is controlling how much coals go under each part of pig.  This way you can cook a shoulder until tender but not over do the loin section.

So the PBC is not the best cooker for a whole hog and one would be better off cooking the individual parts separately if you wanted to replicate whole hog BBQ where the different muscles are available for variations in flavor/texture.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:18:19 PM by Durham Smoker »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
Thanks for trying this - and especially THANK YOU for posting your results.

It is only by trial and error or you could say experimentation - that we really discover anything new. That is true in science, in life in general...and  of course, in cooking.

So, I hope that everyone will read your post here- and feel emboldened to take a few risks now and then ( always observing food safety rules of course ) with the confidence that the worst that can happen - is you may have to eat a bologna sandwich if your experiment doesn't work out at all :D

But nothing ventured...nothing gained. You tried something unexpected - and you were observant, and adjusted your method to accommodate the un-predicited.  Many folks would have given up - and called it a failure. But, it appears you remained calm and thought thru this instead of panicking and giving up.

Fantastic job, and a great example for all of us.

T

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »
Thanks for trying this - and especially THANK YOU for posting your results.

It is only by trial and error or you could say experimentation - that we really discover anything new. That is true in science, in life in general...and  of course, in cooking.

So, I hope that everyone will read your post here- and feel emboldened to take a few risks now and then ( always observing food safety rules of course ) with the confidence that the worst that can happen - is you may have to eat a bologna sandwich if your experiment doesn't work out at all :D

But nothing ventured...nothing gained. You tried something unexpected - and you were observant, and adjusted your method to accommodate the un-predicited.  Many folks would have given up - and called it a failure. But, it appears you remained calm and thought thru this instead of panicking and giving up.

Fantastic job, and a great example for all of us.

T

I agree thanks for the details
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline grossie

whole pig on PBC
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
Amen! Great idea to try. That would have absolutely never crossed my mind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »
Wow! Would not have thought of trying that! Too bad you don't have any pics  :-\
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Durham Smoker

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
I have a pic I want to post but it tells me its exceeds the size limitation.

I'm not all that great with messing with photo formatting.

Also, decided to try Kingsford Professional for the first time.  So I lit 46 (figured I wanted a bit more heat than the 40 I usually use) KBB's and poured over full basket of Kingsford Competition.  Figured I knew how 46 lit KBB's would put me as far as temp and if I used The Professional I would have to use less (need to experiment) and wouldn't get a good hot top layer.   

I do not mnid KBB that has been ashed over but I do seem to taste a bit of a charcoal flavor from the unlit.  Kingsford Professional had a much milder flavor and the pork had just the right amount of smoke fog flavor. 

So unfortunately for me, my charcoal budget just went up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:16:18 PM by Durham Smoker »

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
Great Post DS. Try photobucket.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Toddler

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »
So unfortunately for me, my charcoal budget just went up.
But fortunately for you, Kingsford Professional is on sale right now at Costco, through July 3rd, so time to stock up.  :)