Author Topic: Wings and ribs tonight  (Read 2218 times)

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Wings and ribs tonight
« Reply #-1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
Hey guys,

So I'm going to do some St. Louis ribs tonight and am going to try and do some wings at the same time. First time doing wings on the PBC. Since I'm doing the ribs at the same time I won't be cranking the heat up and am curious about how long the wings will take. I'm thinking I want to try and time them to be ready to sauce right about the time I pull the ribs off so I can pull the lid off and take the rebars out so I can get a nice char on the wings to finish. Thanks in advance for your input.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Kona

Re: Wings and ribs tonight
« on: June 12, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
I'm sure someone will chime in, I've never done a combo cook before, I've always done my wings in a different way than my ribs. I do agree with cranking up the heat at the end for some char, that's how I finish my process.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
Just trying to maximize firing up the PBC. Only doing one rack and about a dozen wings since it's just the wife and I. Thinking worst case I can more or less go off of PBC's tutorial for their wings and see how that works out plus try to crisp at the end. Only way to learn is by doing!
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
what I've done for my wings, I light my coals (lighter fluid), at 12 mins I place the wings on the grate (no rebars) and put on the lid. At the 15 min mark, I flip the wings over and the lid back on for 10 mins. At that point, if I have sauce, I sauce the wings, I take the lid off and leave it off for the rest of the cook till the wings reach the char I'm looking for. The heat will crank up pretty fast to the point it will be hard to flip the wings when you get your hand over the heat
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »
I like the sound of this thread  :P :P
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 05:13:55 PM »
I do the ribs first then when they are about done I wrap the ribs and put them in the microwave to stay warm.  While I'm wrapping the ribs I keep the lid off to raise the temp of the PBC.  Once the ribs are wrapped I bring my wings out to the rack and cook them, then toss them in Frank's wing sauce followed by another 5 mins uncovered on the PBC.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
I do the ribs first then when they are about done I wrap the ribs and put them in the microwave to stay warm.  While I'm wrapping the ribs I keep the lid off to raise the temp of the PBC.  Once the ribs are wrapped I bring my wings out to the rack and cook them, then toss them in Frank's wing sauce followed by another 5 mins uncovered on the PBC.

Think this may be the route I go. No hassle trying to time things. Keep it simple......
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »
I also don't use whole wings, I break them down to cook a little faster, in addition to that's how the wife likes them. 
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
are they done yet??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »
I also don't use whole wings, I break them down to cook a little faster, in addition to that's how the wife likes them.

I've always heard they stay juicer when they remain whole which is why I've stuck to whole wings. What I end up doing is cutting that triangle flap of skin between the two wing sections out as well as taking off the tip.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »
So on goes my battle with my PBC. Fire started off good but then started to stall out. Figured out the problem on that though I think. It has to do with the wind and where I have the PBC set up on the patio. It's on the lee side of the wind and the wind right there swirls and does strange things. I rotated the barrel to change where the vent faces and the temps started to stabilize and things were going fine. Then I check the thermometer and now the thing is rolling at almost 350, I just can't win! Rotated again and the temp settled in around 270-280, perfect. Well 3 1/2 hours later and the ribs still hadn't pulled back off the bones and weren't completely finished but we were out of time and had to wrap this cook up. Wasn't real happy. Wings came out decent though.

Don't get it, first couple cooks came out great and right on time wise even with some temp issues. Last 2 cooks temps were pretty good, minus the high temp episode, but the food took much longer to cook than usual. The last chicken took about 3 hours to finish and these ribs could have gone over 4 hours to be perfect.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s