Author Topic: PBC concerns/questions  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Toddler

PBC concerns/questions
« Reply #-1 on: June 12, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »
I've got a dozen smokers/grills already, but the PBC is cheap and looks fun to use, so I'm very tempted to dive in.  But one concern I have is the food falling off the hooks and into the coals.  Why not add some tabs to optionally put the grate down there?  I've seen so many posts on this and other forums about that issue -- it seems like it would be useful.  How have you guys solved that problem?

My other question is about using it as a grill.  Is it possible to put the coal basket on the mid-level grate, lay another grate over the rebar and grill at an accessible height?  Or is there not enough airflow to generate high temps with the coal basket elevated?  Just wondered if anyone has tried that.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: PBC concerns/questions
« on: June 12, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
I have had nothing fall into the coals after almost 5 years of PBC'n  8)

I do use the grate when doing butts from start to finish. I will usually use the grate after I foil my ribs.

I don't use briskets anymore on it (just prefer other cookers for brisket)

Chuckies on the grate from start to finish.

The cooking grate sits in the "sweet spot" where the meat would normally be hanging at anyhows.

The "grease fog" flavor reminds me of my old UDS days.

Tri-tip comes out real good (I hang the entire time) and chicken......it is clucking great off the PBC  ;)

Pull the trigger and don't miss, I say  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »
Grilling? I have raised the charcoal baskets with bricks before and have grilled, but there are so many better options out there for grilling and I am willing to bet you probably own some of them already  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
I get great heat form the current coal position of the cooker and grill on it all the time. I take out the re bars and leave the lid off and it gets scorching hot.

The first steak I grilled...

Grilling some wings...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 05:07:26 PM »
I've got a dozen smokers/grills already, but the PBC is cheap and looks fun to use, so I'm very tempted to dive in.  But one concern I have is the food falling off the hooks and into the coals.  Why not add some tabs to optionally put the grate down there?  I've seen so many posts on this and other forums about that issue -- it seems like it would be useful.  How have you guys solved that problem?

My other question is about using it as a grill.  Is it possible to put the coal basket on the mid-level grate, lay another grate over the rebar and grill at an accessible height?  Or is there not enough airflow to generate high temps with the coal basket elevated?  Just wondered if anyone has tried that.

What "issue"...? That others are worried that the design is not adequate?  Because I am only aware of a couple of times that folks has "inadequately" put their food in the PBC - and - yes it did hit the coals. :D :D :D
But, with a little thinking when placing the hooks, and really - it is not a problem. Seriously - don't let that hold you back. IT WORKS...and very well! And - of course - there are members that tweak, tune and play with the PBC to suit their desires. But I have to wonder if that is more to satisfy themselves that they participated more in the cooking by their "modifications".

The PBC is made to be just ...stupid simple. I don't mean that in any negative way, - I mean it in the manner of once you see it and use it - you will scratch your head at how absolutely simple some "perfect" ideas really are.

The PBC is one of those simple perfections of the manufacturer understanding internal airflow and turbulence as well as the need to make a product that is almost pushbutton easy o use - without having to fidget with anything.

As for grilling...It really was not designed for such, but - there are a number here that have used bricks to raise their baskets - and made a small "wedge" out of folded aluminum foil scraps to create an air gap between the lid and barrel. you can do it, I have done it - and it is fun.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Toddler

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 05:50:46 PM »
Thanks, fair replies.  It is what it is, and sometimes that's enough.  I do think I'd put a PartyQ/CyberQ on it though.  Grilling is not a real concern.  Losing meat in the fire is.  The guys on another forum seem a lot more vocal about that.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
I lost chickens into the fire one time but it was because I did not hang them properly.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Toddler

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
More concerned about losing ribs, butts, briskets.  Maybe I should just fire up the UDS, but I'm really drawn to smaller footprint of the PBS.

Offline scottv

PBC concerns/questions
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:21:49 PM »
I've hung pork butts, turkeys and everything else and never had a problem with anything falling off. If it did you probably didn't hook it right. As for grilling, I just use my charbroil infrared grill. Much easier and less time consuming

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 09:03:40 PM »
I have probably averaged 2 to 3 cooks a week for 2 years on the pbc. I have lost 1 pork shoulder but happened right when I was ready to pull it off. Salvaged it. Normally I put them on the rack after 160 to make sure they don't fall

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »
Buy some extra hooks and double or even triple hook everything that you question.

Offline JimmyV

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 09:28:10 PM »
I've had mine since February and have hung everything from a 10 lb butt to full racks of un-trimmed spares and so far have never had anything fall in the fire or really even seem like it was thinking about it. Although I will admit to wrapping the butt at 160 to finish on the grate so it couldn't have fallen into the coals anyway.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
I have had mine a little over a year now. To be honest since I got it I hardly ever use anything else. I mostly hang and after the time Noah recommends I put them on the grate or in my oven. I do use my Part Q sometimes. It will work just fine without it though. I set my coal basket on  a planter stand and a two zone fire when grilling...works great !!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-15-Iron-Scroll-Plant-Stand/39168629
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]