Author Topic: Smoke intense  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Smoke intense
« Reply #-1 on: June 13, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »
Is there anyway to make the food come out with less smoke flavor. I love the tenderness that the pbc produces. I wish there was a way to produce the same tenderness without the smokiness sometimes. Is this crazy talk or can someone relate ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Kona

Re: Smoke intense
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:06:28 PM »
are you referring to wanting less of the charcoal flavor that's produced? If I don't use wood with my charcoal, i'll only get the charcoal flavor
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

Smoke intense
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:10:38 PM »
I think others have said royal oak works for their taste buds over Kingsford. I don't have a PBC
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 08:22:03 PM »
Yeah the charcoal flavor was a little too much for my taste when I made ribs yesterday. I tried a no sauce method. Just salt pepper and finished with revendous rub. I used standard kings ford briquettes. Is the Royal oak your referring too a lump charcoal ? Would that make it less smokey ?
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »
Yeah the charcoal flavor was a little too much for my taste when I made ribs yesterday. I tried a no sauce method. Just salt pepper and finished with revendous rub. I used standard kings ford briquettes. Is the Royal oak your referring too a lump charcoal ? Would that make it less smokey ?

You could try running the PBC hotter, crack the lid or take out a rebar. The hotter the more efficient and hence less smoke.  Waiting until the charcoal is hot and not putting on while warming up will also reduce the smoke. You should expect some smoke after all it burns charcoal...  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 08:30:30 PM »
do you have access to Stubbs? They are usually sold at Lowes. I find it has a natrual wood grilled flavor compared to the KBB and will use it over KBB

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:31:25 PM »
That makes sense to me. I try keeping the temps down by hanging the meat and covering too quickly I think. My thought was lower heat more tender meat. I'm probably getting that intense smoke flavor in the beginning of the cook
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Kona

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 08:34:47 PM »
That makes sense to me. I try keeping the temps down by hanging the meat and covering too quickly I think. My thought was lower heat more tender meat. I'm probably getting that intense smoke flavor in the beginning of the cook

how soon are you hanging your meat?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »
10 minutes. I will try the Stubbs if I can find at Home Depot or lowes . Kona I just seen your huli chicken. I will be trying that
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Toddler

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »
You could try Kingsford Professional also.  It's on sale at Costco right now through July 3rd.  All natural and more like Stubbs from what I am told, and potentially cheaper.

Offline Kona

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »
10 minutes. I will try the Stubbs if I can find at Home Depot or lowes . Kona I just seen your huli chicken. I will be trying that

Lowes should definitely have it. I was waiting too long in the past before hanging my meat. Once I spoke to Noah he recommended hanging at the 12 minute mark and still do that time. Which method do you light? I use lighter fluid.

and that Huli Huli chicken is awesome
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:05:47 PM »
Lighter fluid. I forgot to mention I did throw a handful of chips in at the beginning. I don't think just a handful of chips could have that much of an impact but I definetly won't do that again.
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Kona

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 09:08:55 PM »
The only thing I really add wood for is Ribs and Pulled pork for my long cooks. If I'm grilling steak, I'll throw some wood chunks on the hot coals and they'll usually catch fire pretty quickly. I'll throw my steaks over that for added flavor and it helps crank up the heat for searing.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
The "Grease Fog" is a heavier flavor produced by the drippings and seasonings falling onto the lit charcoal below. It is a unique flavor profile that only the PBC and UDS smokers produce............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
I use Stubbs and Royal Oak briqs and  I do like the flavor a little better Kingsford blue. I think running 300 and a little over does cut down on the smoke taste. I really don't know for sure...all I really know is folks I cook for just seem to love what comes off the PBC.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]