Author Topic: Smoke intense  (Read 3951 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Smoke intense
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 11:45:20 PM »
Yeah the charcoal flavor was a little too much for my taste when I made ribs yesterday. I tried a no sauce method. Just salt pepper and finished with revendous rub. I used standard kings ford briquettes. Is the Royal oak your referring too a lump charcoal ? Would that make it less smokey ?

You could try running the PBC hotter, crack the lid or take out a rebar. The hotter the more efficient and hence less smoke.  Waiting until the charcoal is hot and not putting on while warming up will also reduce the smoke. You should expect some smoke after all it burns charcoal...  :)

Tom is spot on...additionally, Kona and Pappy point to another way to reduce that smoky flavor - a different of charcoal I would suggest that you ty a lump charcoal - and wait to place the food in until you have complete engagement of all the charcoal. Don't put food in until all the coals are close to red hot and ashed over.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline JustAl

• Hot Rods, Bourbon & BBQ Baby!!
Re: Smoke intense
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 12:21:28 AM »
Stubbs made the difference for me. I do like adding a hickory chunk on brisket and pecan on chicken.
Pit Barrel Cooker With DigiQ DX2
CharBroil Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe