Author Topic: Slow Cook Times / Low Temperatures  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Skillet49

Slow Cook Times / Low Temperatures
« Reply #-1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »
Hello all, after much deliberation, I recently acquired a PBC to complement my trusty Weber Kettle as my first step into truly smoking food. I've done ribs and pork shoulder on my Kettle before, but it was always such a huge time investment. I was looking for a more relaxing way to pump out some excellent food.

So far I've attempted chicken and ribs on the PBC and while they've both turned out very good, I'm a bit concerned about the length of the cook time and temperature readings I measured.

Here was my lighting process for both cooks:

Fill basket with charcoal (Kingsford Pro)
Remove 40 brickets and place into Chimney starter
Light coals and wait 20 minutes (I live at 5,000) feet
Pour lit coals over unlit remainder in the cooker

The first cook I hung my chicken immediately after pouring the coals. For the ribs I waited around 5 minutes and then placed them inside the PBC.

The chicken took around 3.5 hours to cook to a breast temperature of 154 (we couldn't wait any longer for dinner). During the last 30 minutes I even cracked the lid by around 3/4" of an inch to try and get the temperature to rise.

The ribs took around 5 to 5.5 hours and were not quite done (meat was tender but had quite a bit of tooth). It acted like it needed another hour or so.

As I live at 5,000 feet, I followed the instructions to open the bottom vent 3/4 of the way (tried to line the picture in the book up with my actual unit). When I've checked the internal temperature with my thermometer it always hovers around 225 - 235 unless I crack the lid. These are ok temps for most normal smokers, but it's my understanding that the PBC typically runs a bit hotter (275-300) and also power's through food quicker than a traditional setup.

I really enjoy the simplicity of the cooker and the flavors so far have been excellent, I'm just trying to troubleshoot my setup to see if I can raise the cooking temperature into that normal range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline George Campbell

Re: Slow Cook Times / Low Temperatures
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »
Hi Skillet

A few things you might check or try.

1. I fill the basket, then remove 1/4 of them to light. Never counted to see how many that is.
2. Remove one of the rods if you don't need them both for hanging meat.
3. Nothing wrong with cracking the lid a small amount.
4. Might try opening the air intake a little more.

If none of this helps, give Pit Barrel a call, they are really good people.

George
Weber Genesis Gold
Weber Performer
18" WSM
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Baby Q
PK Grill
Slow n Sear
Vortex
Volcano

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:58:20 AM »
You might want to try the lighter fluid method.  If you don't let the fluid soak into the briquettes there shouldn't be a taste issue.  If you still want to use the chimney, after you dump the coal wait another 10 minutes before hanging the meat.  Most temperature and timing issues seems to be based on the initial lighting process.

You can always call as well Amber and Noah as well.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:53:08 AM »
I've always used the lighter fluid method. I light them immediately after soaking and hang my meat at the 12 minute mark. I either use Kingsford Blue or Stubbs. I believe Kingsford Professional will burn hotter than KBB. I never get a lighter fluid taste at all to my food and my ribs are generally done easily in less than 3 hours.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:56:28 AM »
What is your elevation? 20 minutes may be causing your coals to become exhausted too soon. If your elevation is below 2000ft, you should only allow those coals to burn for 12-15 minutes before adding the food. If you wait longer, they will be much hotter sooner and fizzle out on you. Please feel free to contact  our office if you continue to have trouble. Also, check out the lighting process on our website at www.pitbarrelcooker.com. You can also check out the Troubleshooting video.

Offline Skillet49

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
Sorry for the delay in my reply. We've been traveling for the past few weeks.

We live right at 5000 feet in Colorado so I adjusted the vent to 3/4 open and gave the 40 coals a 20 minute burn in my chimney starter. I could also given them 10 minutes to ignite the unlit coals before hanging the meat (allowing the barrel to heat up).

What is the ideal look/finish on the coals before they are dumped on to the unlit coals? If my memory serves me correctly for both cooks the coals were completely lit (completely ashed over and glowing). Perhaps that would be the issue? Though I would think that would cause the temperature to spike initially then fall rapidly.

Any pictures of what the coals look like before dumping them onto the unlit bed?

Thanks!

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »
Sorry, you had already mentioned you were at 5000ft in your original message. We recommend Kingsford Original for long cooks because they burn slowly from the top to the bottom. Kingsford Pro burns faster and hotter which is why they are probably ashed over before you pour them over the unlit coals. The Kingsford Pro grade is great for short cooks because of the way it burns, otherwise, for long cooks, your coals may be exhausting themselves faster and your temps will drop. If the coals are already ashed over before starting a long cook, most likely the barrel temps will fall too soon. Go back to Kingsford Original and be sure they aren't ashed over before spreading them over the unlit charcoal, that should help.