Author Topic: Pit Barrel Cleaning  (Read 3239 times)

Offline mreservices

Pit Barrel Cleaning
« Reply #-1 on: June 28, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
Let me first say hello.  This is my first post on the site.  I have gained a wealth of information for my Pit Barrel cooking from this forum and I felt it was time for me to (1) learn some more and (2) give some of my information back that I have learned through trial and error.  With that said, I wanted to find out if anyone has cleaned the inside of their Pit Barrel.  Mine has been used almost a year now and and the inside seems to be pretty dirty.  I know we want it seasoned, but to me it's getting pretty dirty.  Maybe I am being to anal about it, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion.  I appreciate the feedback.

Michael 
Pit Barrel Cooker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" Gas Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie WiFi
Charbroil RED Infrared Gas Grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Pit Barrel Cleaning
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I have had mine for 18 months and I haven't cleaned it.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »
I've never cleaned mine, if I remember right Noah said not to somewhere on his site. I just occasionally tip mine over to empty out any excess that may be lingering inside.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline mreservices

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »
I do vacuum out any excess ashes once a month (I use the PB Ash Pan), but I wasn't sure about the rest of the inside.  I am going to clean my grates with some Easy Off.  I read somewhere where someone sprayed them down and let them sit in a plastic bag for a bit and then hosed them off.  I also have a Camp Chef 24" to clean, but that I am going to take apart and "lightly" pressure wash the cabinet.  I appreciate the input.

Michael
Pit Barrel Cooker
Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" Gas Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie WiFi
Charbroil RED Infrared Gas Grill

Offline Pappymn

Pit Barrel Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »
I do vacuum out any excess ashes once a month (I use the PB Ash Pan), but I wasn't sure about the rest of the inside.  I am going to clean my grates with some Easy Off.  I read somewhere where someone sprayed them down and let them sit in a plastic bag for a bit and then hosed them off.  I also have a Camp Chef 24" to clean, but that I am going to take apart and "lightly" pressure wash the cabinet.  I appreciate the input.

Michael
Amonia in a plastic bag works well too. The fumes really loosen things up
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:01:43 PM »
Some people may get a little overwhelmed by the "build up". You can gently scrape the sides with a plastic putty knife to get the excess off and dump the remains.

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:12:38 PM »
i don't have an ash pan but if I've had a pretty wet cook ill do the scraping on the bottom edges like mentioned above but nothing that takes more than 5 min

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
Some people may get a little overwhelmed by the "build up". You can gently scrape the sides with a plastic putty knife to get the excess off and dump the remains.

I like to refer to the 'build-up" as flavor  8)

The ash pan for the PBC is a must have. Until then, line the bottom with HD foil.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 03:05:33 PM »

I like to refer to the 'build-up" as flavor  8)

The ash pan for the PBC is a must have. Until then, line the bottom with HD foil.

Do not ever "wash" a pit with soapy and/or high pressure water.  As Noah said, you can scrape some of the crud off if it bothers you but there's no reason unless it is in your way.  Pits improve with age and use.  Dump ashes, de-grease racks, grates, hooks and stuff, but otherwise just let it get better and better  ;D

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Kona

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 04:25:56 PM »
another option for the bottom of the barrel that I've been using is a metal pizza tray. I have one slightly larger than the coal basket and makes cleanup a breeze
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
Never clean mine after 18 months. The sides is where all the goodness lives!