Author Topic: Issues I've noticed...lid seal/coal staying lit.  (Read 4905 times)

Offline KevinM

Issues I've noticed...lid seal/coal staying lit.
« Reply #-1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »
Hello all!

First and foremost, I love my PBC but that said I'm a total noob to preface this post.

Things I've noted is the lid isn't sealing properly anymore (had mine for roughly 6mths).  Today (Jul4th started cooking at 8:45 - 7lbs butt) I had to put a brick on top of the lid to get a better seal. So at first the grill ran 340 degrees the first hour before I could turn the lid enough and then use the brick to apply pressure. So that leads to prob number two, most of the time the grill is too hot (300+) and I've messed with the swivel door a lot, but what I end up doing is shoving newspaper pieces to plug the remainder hole where the rebar goes throug. Typically one/two holes plugged yields 250-275 degrees. But today the coals were excessively hot in the beginning  and once it settled to 275 it was steady for awhile but by 4pm coal temp was 199 and dropping so as of now I've cracked the lid and temp is rising. I just can't figure out how to get it consistant! Any advice for noobs would be very helpful!! Thank you in advance!

******disclaimer*******

In no way should anyone use this thread as a means of whether or not to purchase a Pit Barrel. In short, it's amazing and I absolutely love it!! I have produced some amazing food on this thing and it never disappoints!

Kevin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:14:36 PM by KevinM »

Offline Kona

Re: Issues I've noticed...lid seal/coal staying lit.
« on: July 04, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »
Welcome! There's plenty of PBC info here, it's the only cooker I have and love it!

In regards to your lid, is it a buildup of grease etc under the rim that's causing it or is it possible your barrel is out of round? I had an issue where my barrel was out of round and I was having to press down hard and pull up hard on the lid to get it on and off.

For the temps, how long are you waiting before you place your meat in the cooker after you light your coals? What process are you using to light? I'm in Florida so my bottom vent is open a 1/4 but the issue I was having was when I lit my coals (lighter fluid) I was waiting too long before I hung my meat and the temps got too hot. I was waiting 20 mins or so. Now I do no more than 12 minutes after speaking with Noah from Pit Barrel. Usually if they get too hot in the beginning they will plummet later as the coals get burnt through faster
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline KevinM

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »
Ok cool what do ppl use to clean the build up off? Brillo? SoS? Or something softer?

Someone said wait twenty minutes after having dumped the coals from the chimney starter on top of basket of coals and normally that works but today it's just giving me major heartburn! As of now 6:15 the barrel temp is all over the place. I'm having to crack the lid (raises to 300), seal lid and it drops exponentially!! Now it's at 259 from 300 in less than 30 min. The meat has been at 150-154 for the past 3 hours while I've been trying things. The meat is probably ruined. But that's the learning curve. Thank you for your help! Update ~ meat 156.

Kevin

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:56:13 PM »
check out this thread, I remember someone having the same issue. Noah from Pit Barrel responded at the bottom :)

I've always done lighter fluid, someone will probably chime in who uses the chimney method
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline KevinM

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:21:12 PM »
Link?

I threw in the towel it's been a horrible cooking day. The pork is gunna finish in the blasphemous crockpot. I'm done. Clouds are dark gray and beginning to thunder and spit rain here and there. I'm taking the "L" and calling it a day. Pretty frustrated. Thank you very much for your help! :-)

Offline Kona

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
Link?

I threw in the towel it's been a horrible cooking day. The pork is gunna finish in the blasphemous crockpot. I'm done. Clouds are dark gray and beginning to thunder and spit rain here and there. I'm taking the "L" and calling it a day. Pretty frustrated. Thank you very much for your help! :-)
We've all been there.... You live to cook another day
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »
Link?

We've all been there.... You live to cook another day

Yup, I have supper in the crock pot as I am typing  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline KevinM

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 07:52:28 PM »
Thank you all! Hope you all have/had a great 4th!!

Smokeasaurus thank you for sharing that helped! :-)

KevinM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 09:01:23 PM »
Hello all!

First and foremost, I love my PBC but that said I'm a total noob to preface this post.

Things I've noted is the lid isn't sealing properly anymore (had mine for roughly 6mths).  Today (Jul4th started cooking at 8:45 - 7lbs butt) I had to put a brick on top of the lid to get a better seal. So at first the grill ran 340 degrees the first hour before I could turn the lid enough and then use the brick to apply pressure. So that leads to prob number two, most of the time the grill is too hot (300+) and I've messed with the swivel door a lot, but what I end up doing is shoving newspaper pieces to plug the remainder hole where the rebar goes throug. Typically one/two holes plugged yields 250-275 degrees. But today the coals were excessively hot in the beginning  and once it settled to 275 it was steady for awhile but by 4pm coal temp was 199 and dropping so as of now I've cracked the lid and temp is rising. I just can't figure out how to get it consistant! Any advice for noobs would be very helpful!! Thank you in advance!

Kevin

Kevin - My high school football coach came in the locker room, after Homecoming Senior Year  - and our team had just lost to our rival...by 113 points. I think it still stands as the worst defeat in Texas High School Football Records @ 113 -0 .... and said:

"Boys...( long, if not pregnant pause...) er...just remember...we learn nothing from life's victories - except.... we won.  We learn everything from our defeats along the way. They will teach us how to win."
He was right. You are learning things even now that you may not recognize because you may feel overwhelmed.

So, if I can make some recommendations?
1. Tell us as much about  where you live as you can ( elevation, weather - winds, etc...what is it like?)

2. Get a Maverick 732 or 733 with 6 foot probes. Use one as an "oven" thermometer at the grate level or at the lowest point of the hooks when you are hanging meats.and the other probe goes on the center of mass of the meat. It will help you learn the actual impact of any adjust cents you make, and in a real measurable manner.

3. Keep a notebook of each cook. As many details as possible. Time of day, weather observations, kind of charcoal, amount of time you allowed it to burn before loading meat into the PBC, ...anything. It may seem OCD, or petty - but you may be surprised what you can learn - and repeat...or learn to avoid by doing this.

4.Get back to basics. Watch a lot of Noah's videos on YouTube about using the PBC. Never underestimate the value of simple technique - perfected. Details matter. And before you take any of our advice on modifying the PBC or its openings even if they are temporary mods that seem harmless - work at JUST running it as it came from PBC. Get that down pat. Catch some sales on charcoal  that you will be using ( each brand and type can vary in burn temp and time...) and PRACTICE. No need to waste meat - just load the charcoal - and pretend you are cooking. TAKE NOTES - every time you make an adjustment or  change - take note of it. Watch the Maverick for the temp influence of the change you made.

Now about your lid not fitting...It is possible that you have a warp of some kind. I have seen it happen if a barrel is dropped on its side, or if the lid falls - and hits the deck or grand in such a way that it could alter the lip where the barrel fits into it. It can happen. But, I would be remiss if I did not refer you to call Amber or Noah at PBC and ask for their advice - and perhaps they can help diagnose what you are experiencing.

Hope this helps!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »
Needless to say but Tee didn't have a date to the Homecoming dance following that game.....
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »
Needless to say but Tee didn't have a date to the Homecoming dance following that game.....

Not even a mercy date??  ???
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 10:16:25 PM »

Alas...there was no joy in Mudville..... :'( ::) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »
Couldn't agree with Teesquare's #4 more.  There is a lot more science in this thing than it looks from its simple,e appearance.  So don't over think it.  I've had mine for almost two years and have never had a bad cook.  I always follow the same routine....light it like Noah says, season like Noah says, hand like Noah says and then I go take a nap for the amount of time Noah says and let this little jewel do its magic.  Never use a temp probe(other than on turkey cause they have different done zones) anymore.  Just follow the video, close the lid and what ever happens will happen and I guarantee everything will come out just perfect.  Have fun!

Offline Mpls

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 01:05:57 PM »
Sorry to hear you had issues, but I agree with what others are saying hear.  From what you mentioned, it sounds like your high temps start from pouring hot coals on top and then waiting 20 minutes.  I also use the chimney method and from everything I've read by PBC, you are supposed to close the lid and start your cook immediately after the coals warm up in the chimney.

I've been using the PBC for roughly 6 months now and have done over 20 cooks.  I was also a rookie in everyway dealing with a smoker/nontraditional grill.  The most important thing I found was starting the coals properly.  Once you've done that everything else is pretty simple.  Make sure you load your basket up and then place 40 briquettes into your chimney.  Once the coals at the top the chimney start burning/turn gray but still have black portions (not completely gray and burning - this is too late) spread them evenly over the top of the basket to ensure an even cook.  If you add wood chucks I suggest burying them in basket before you dump the coals from the chimney on top.  Immediately after, close the lid with rebars in place (even if the food isn't added yet).  The more you leave the lid off the hotter it gets.

If you have issues with your lid, contact PBC - I wouldn't do anything else.  I've read of them fixing this issue before.

I did a 7lb pork shoulder this weekend and it was delicious. I noticed it burned a lot cooler than when cooking ribs.  I believe this was due to all of the juices dripping from from pork. In fact I stirred the coals around before I wrapped at 160, because the ones right beneath the pork weren't burning.  Once the foil was on the pbc picked up in temp a bit.  I did nothing to adjust the pbc temp, but watched it just to see what's going on in there.  Temps were 235-250 for the first 5 hrs, then I stirred the coals and wrapped, temp went up to 285 for 2 hours and the pork got to 203.  I let it rest and then it was some of the best pulled pork I've had.

For comparisons sake, when I do ribs the pbc is normally between 260-280.  Again, I do nothing to make adjustments unless something goes drastically wrong (only happened when I didn't light it properly to begin with).  Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it helps a bit.