Author Topic: Issues I've noticed...lid seal/coal staying lit.  (Read 4904 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Issues I've noticed...lid seal/coal staying lit.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 03:12:43 PM »
I have had my PBC longer than most here (2012) and I still watch Noah's videos before my cooks  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
Hello all!

First and foremost, I love my PBC but that said I'm a total noob to preface this post.

Things I've noted is the lid isn't sealing properly anymore (had mine for roughly 6mths).  Today (Jul4th started cooking at 8:45 - 7lbs butt) I had to put a brick on top of the lid to get a better seal. So at first the grill ran 340 degrees the first hour before I could turn the lid enough and then use the brick to apply pressure. So that leads to prob number two, most of the time the grill is too hot (300+) and I've messed with the swivel door a lot, but what I end up doing is shoving newspaper pieces to plug the remainder hole where the rebar goes throug. Typically one/two holes plugged yields 250-275 degrees. But today the coals were excessively hot in the beginning  and once it settled to 275 it was steady for awhile but by 4pm coal temp was 199 and dropping so as of now I've cracked the lid and temp is rising. I just can't figure out how to get it consistant! Any advice for noobs would be very helpful!! Thank you in advance!

Kevin

Not all cooks are going to be the same so keep that in mind.  I had similar problems with wild temp swings and found that lighting about 25 coals will get the temp to where I want it, around 250F to 300F.  I control this by using magnets to cover the rebar holes until the temps settle where I want them.  I do not have any lid issues so sorry I can;t comment about that

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 04:02:55 PM »
Let's find out what might be going on with your Pit Barrel Cooker. Please contact us at the office at 502-228-1222 at your convenience.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »
Let's find out what might be going on with your Pit Barrel Cooker. Please contact us at the office at 502-228-1222 at your convenience.

Now that my friends is great customer service long after the sale  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline KevinM

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »
Noah is the best customer service, and Noah I'm reading this for the first time. My week is usually very busy so sorry I haven't called. I think I may have time after work next week. Thank you!

Today I'm trying to cook a butt again. And what I've noticed is (I took some advice of you on here)with lighting the coals etc. and taking a decorative brick from our yard and using it as a weight on the lid, temperatures have stayed below 300 for the most part but I still have had to plug one of the holes where the rebar goes through to keep it closer to 260 to 275 and for the most part it's hovered around that since 830 this morning so I think ultimately what my  problem from day one is for some reason the lid is not staying sealed properly. Whether it's an out of round barrel or warped lid who knows but I did order another lid and it's on the way so I'll be checking that next weekend !

Ps: honestly it's probably just nooby mistakes. In no way should anyone use this thread as a means of whether or not to purchase a Pit Barrel. In short, it's amazing and I absolutely love it!! I have produced some amazing food on this thing and it never disappoints!

Kevin M

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »
Noah is the best customer service, and Noah I'm reading this for the first time. My week is usually very busy so sorry I haven't called. I think I may have time after work next week. Thank you!

Ps: honestly it's probably just nooby mistakes. In no way should anyone use this thread as a means of whether or not to purchase a Pit Barrel. In short, it's amazing and I absolutely love it!! I have produced some amazing food on this thing and it never disappoints!

Kevin M

:)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline KevinM

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 12:17:20 PM »
I added a disclaimer to my initial post that started this thread. I do not want anyone including Pit Barrel Company to think I'm speaking negatively about the product. Im simply a noob trying to perfect the art of using smokers. :-)

Thank you
Kevin

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
I added a disclaimer to my initial post that started this thread. I do not want anyone including Pit Barrel Company to think I'm speaking negatively about the product. Im simply a noob trying to perfect the art of using smokers. :-)

Thank you
Kevin

We are all noobs  :)    Barbecuing is like bowling. We can all do it but we just can't seem to master it. Thank Goodness we have weekends so we can always get back at it  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline KevinM

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Today's smokey Butt!!!

Nailed it!!

Bone fell out with ease! Just thought I'd share! The lid has been my woe. With the extra weight on the lid temperatures were pretty steady until I went in to wrap the pork at 160. When  putting it back on the grill the temperature didn't want to come up much past 200. So I just ended up cracking the lid until it rose up to about 260. By the time it hit 260 the pork was approaching 198. But end all, it was amazing! Total cook time was around 7hours for 7lbs of pork.

Thanks for all you guys help!

KevinM