Author Topic: Trying a couple of new things  (Read 2309 times)

Offline grossie

Trying a couple of new things
« Reply #-1 on: July 05, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »
I've been meaning to try a pork belly for quite a while now. I finally picked one up at Costco last week. I decided to follow the official PBC video, only using my rub. The video calls for butcher paper, so I ran up to Kroger. They didn't actually have butcher paper, but they did have beef shoulder/pot roast on sale, so I figured I would cook both.

I seasoned the beef with just salt and pepper, after rubbing it down with Stubbs beef marinade. I hung both chunks of meat.

I had a little less than a full basket of charcoal and was too lazy to open a new bag. It seems like it cooked faster with less than a full basket, but it could have just been my imagination.

I let the beef get a little hotter than I wanted (about 140 degrees), and took it off the cooker, foiled it and put it in a cooler. Then it was time to foil the pork belly and put it on the rack. It didn't take too long for the temp to get to 195, when I removed the foil. I left the lid cracked and cooked for another 20 min.

The wife hated all the pepper on the beef, but I thought it made a pretty tasty sandwich. We both thought the pork belly turned out pretty good.

I may have to fry up some leftovers for breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Re: Trying a couple of new things
« on: July 05, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
I've been meaning to try a pork belly for quite a while now. I finally picked one up at Costco last week. I decided to follow the official PBC video, only using my rub. The video calls for butcher paper, so I ran up to Kroger. They didn't actually have butcher paper, but they did have beef shoulder/pot roast on sale, so I figured I would cook both.

I seasoned the beef with just salt and pepper, after rubbing it down with Stubbs beef marinade. I hung both chunks of meat.

I had a little less than a full basket of charcoal and was too lazy to open a new bag. It seems like it cooked faster with less than a full basket, but it could have just been my imagination.

I let the beef get a little hotter than I wanted (about 140 degrees), and took it off the cooker, foiled it and put it in a cooler. Then it was time to foil the pork belly and put it on the rack. It didn't take too long for the temp to get to 195, when I removed the foil. I left the lid cracked and cooked for another 20 min.

The wife hated all the pepper on the beef, but I thought it made a pretty tasty sandwich. We both thought the pork belly turned out pretty good.

I may have to fry up some leftovers for breakfast.

Nice looking cook.  I also did some pork belly from Costco a while ago  and it came out really good.  The slab was too much for us to use at once so I divided it in half and used it to make bacon

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
Looks very good!

Offline grossie

Trying a couple of new things
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »
Made a pork belly, egg, and cheese bagel with some leftovers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »
There you go! YUM!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
Sweet! I have to try that!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »
I like the looks of the pork belly and your breakfast!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline NickyDeuce

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »
  I know Im late to this post, but a friendly PSA...  Pork Belly makes a mean taco!
Weber Kettle 22"

Pit Barrel Cooker

"Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe's wines or cheeses; drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes." - John Shelton Reed