Author Topic: PBC flavor  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: PBC flavor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
... Use of wood soaked in water then partially dried will smoke because the moisture retards the burn.  This will also work for charcoal as well.  ... This does not mean that I recommend that you follow this for cooking purposes.

NEVER SMOKE WITH WET WOOD!!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell (Well actually I sorta did). Wood doesn't smoke till it's dry so you're not getting more smoke; you're just delaying the actual smoke waiting for the wood to dry. Until then you're making steam mixed with nasty stuff (like creosote). It adds flavor but not any flavor you ever want added.

Note to reader: The reply above is quoted as a public service from the LTBBQ "Blast From the Past" archives (Ka Honu's rants, chapter 1).

... However TentHunter in a conversation, suggests that you use dry wood chips in a foil pouch ...

Another "save" by the man from Ohio (wherever that is).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Kona

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
I stopped soaking my wood years ago at the "urging s" of the turtle  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »
As we can see...there are many ways to enjoy your PBC to choose from. FWIW - the manufacturer's recommendations should be your first methods, until you are comfortable to try other things. We all have found additional things that we as individuals like regardless of the cooker we are using- or don't like in the cooking process - but, the basics as explained by Amber an d Noah will get you on the right track. Then it is up to you to experiment with as Gene suggested - with one variable at a time.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline stalag

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 06:09:22 PM »
... Use of wood soaked in water then partially dried will smoke because the moisture retards the burn.  This will also work for charcoal as well.  ... This does not mean that I recommend that you follow this for cooking purposes.

NEVER SMOKE WITH WET WOOD!!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell (Well actually I sorta did). Wood doesn't smoke till it's dry so you're not getting more smoke; you're just delaying the actual smoke waiting for the wood to dry. Until then you're making steam mixed with nasty stuff (like creosote). It adds flavor but not any flavor you ever want added.

Note to reader: The reply above is quoted as a public service from the LTBBQ "Blast From the Past" archives (Ka Honu's rants, chapter 1).

... However TentHunter in a conversation, suggests that you use dry wood chips in a foil pouch ...

Another "save" by the man from Ohio (wherever that is).
  Umm, you do realize I qualified the statement.  You need to read my entire post in context rather than creating a rant where none need exist.  There is a science behind the fuel which is what I am speaking to.  TentHunter was helping me by certain suggestions so that people could more easily distinguish between the science which holds under experimental conditions, and what is best practice when cooking. 
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline gbwsmoker

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »
Thank you all for your advice.  To answer some questions:  yes, I called the PBC company twice.  Was told to set the intake at 1/4 (it was) and lite the coals according to the website (which I had done) and hang the meat immediately upon pouring the lit coals on the  unlit or after 12 minutes of burn with lighter fluid ( both of which I did). 

I think the flavor issue is a combination of the petroleum binder in the KBB and grease dripping on the charcoal.  My first change will be to try Stubbs and light 25 briquets instead of 40.  After that, I will fiddle with the intake until I can get the proper pit temp. 

As for grilling, I always grill steaks over KBB using reverse sear.  Since the coals are fully lit, there is never an issue about taste.

I will keep trying.  Thank you all.

gbwsmoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »
The "grease fog" flavor from the PBC or UDS is so different than other types of cookers.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
I've had my PBC for over a year now.....most of the time I use Kingsford blue and usually start it with Walmart brand starter fluid. I do use Stubbs sometimes, which I think I like better. Me nor any of the folks that have eaten anything off my PBC have said anything about a petroleum  taste, most just rave about it. I really can't think of why you are having that problem. I am sure someone on here will stir you right. The main thing is just don't give up on the PBC.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2016, 01:16:43 AM »
Umm, you do realize I qualified the statement.  You need to read my entire post in context rather than creating a rant where none need exist. 

Umm, I did read your entire post and, since you didn't state positively that wet wood is a bad idea, disagreed with the implied suggestion that it might even be marginally acceptable. Besides, there's always room for a good rant (and I have so many available that beg to be aired out occasionally).

No harm; no foul.

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
GBWSMOKER-Sorry to hear about your flavor problems. Hang in there it will come. I've had my PBC for ove 18 months and have never had a bad cook. I just follow the videos with the only difference is that I use Kingsford applewood charcoal.  At 12:30 today I hung 8 half chickens just like the video says.  I cut the grass, cleaned the pool and stocked the bar with some Kentucky bourbon ale and makers 46 for a dinner party at 5:30.  No Temp probes, no cracking the lid and opened the PBC for the first time at 4:45.  The chickens were perfect.  (Apologies to the unicorn freaks no photos.  The 46 can make for some blurry pictures).  Anyway hang in there, keep trying, don't over think it and I'm sure you'll end up with some of the best food you've ever had.  Good cooking!

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
I will add my two cents worth, really that's about all my advice is worth. My new thing for the PBC is to use only a half basket of coals. Fill up half the basket as in on all coals on ONE side, not half way full from top to bottom. Take 1/4 of those out and light in chimney starter. Dump into basket on top of unlit coals, again, all on one side. Hang your ribs or chicken on the opposite side from the coals. This is in effect indirect cooking (as much as the PBC can do). The drippings don't fall into the coal and create that "grease fog" that The Smoke speaks of. Made a whoppingly huge difference for me. I personally have given up getting crispy skin. Sometimes I get close, other times I feel like I'm eating a rubber chicken. At least with the new indirect cooking I don't get a chemically tasting rubber chicken ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pileofwood

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
<edit>

I don't want to hijack the thread.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:48:59 PM by Pileofwood »
"Wanna know how good a BBQ restaurant is? Take a look at the size of their woodpile."-- Big Bob Gibson

Pit barrel Cooker
Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill 22"
Weber Kettle with Kettle Pizza Oven
Humphrey's Battle Box

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »
Please feel free to call us at the office and we can answer your questions! We do not recommend wood chunks since they burn much hotter and greatly increase the temperatures of the Pit Barrel Cooker. As recommended in the Troubleshooting Video on our website found under Video Recipes, we only recommend a handful of wood chips right before adding the food. We do not recommend using any accelerants when lighting the coals, unless you are using lighter fluid and that is just a quick douse to get them started. Getting the coals too hot too soon will result in less than desired outcomes. The coals should not be ashed over before the food goes into the PBC, this causes temps to be too high too soon and the coals will become exhausted to soon and the barrel temps will drop in the later part of the cook. The Pit Barrel Cooker, when properly lit and used, will average between 275 - 310F and the coals will last 7-8 hours. Deviation from our recommendations will produce different results. Please check out all the information on our website at www.pitbarrelcooker.com under Video Recipes and please call us with questions or concerns. The number is 502-228-1222.

See, now this is why I joined.

I too was having issues with my PBC. When I cooked ribs... They were done in an hour and a half/2 hours. And they were dry. I was very disappointed with how they came out. I have made 6 rack of ribs with only one turning out just okay.

I have always added wood. This response above gets me excited. I will try my next batch without any wood. I hope that will keep the temp down lower so they can slowly cook and not flash fry my rack of ribs.

I do have one question though.... I did a pork shoulder. I put it in the PBC for 5 hours and it reached an inside temp of about 155-165 then I wrapped in foil and poured in apple juice and a vinegar mop sauce.  Cooked it wrapped until it hit 195. Everything on the outside pulled apart very easily... but the inside inside really was tough. it didn't pull apart at all. Was this a case of not done enough or was it overly done? I did use wood for this as well. I know that could be part of the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

That was a case of individuality in cuts of meat. Sometimes - 195F is sufficient...But I have resorted to 205-210F as being my target I.T. for pork butts or shoulders. And THAT is only reference. There will be variations in each piece of meat, and - letting it cook a little longer and  to a higher IT is usually sufficient to make it tender. Check at temp at the center of mass....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 09:47:10 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »
Check eh temp nee the center of mass....[/b]
Huh? I must need a new Aggie dicshunery dikshunary dictionery word book.

... pork shoulder... until it hit 195... not done enough or was it overly done?
PoW - Every pig (and cow) is different. Rather than go strictly by internal temperature you might find it better to "fork test" butts and briskets every 5-10 degrees after you hit about 185o or 190o. You'll find some are ready then and some will need to go all the way to 200o or higher.

... half basket of coals. ... Hang your ribs or chicken on the opposite side from the coals... The drippings don't fall into the coal and create that "grease fog"
Makes a helluva lot of sense to me. I think that was pretty much my only complaint about the PBC.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
Quote from: teesquare on Today at 07:50:14 PM
Check eh temp nee the center of mass....[/b]
Huh? I must need a new Aggie dicshunery dikshunary dictionery word book.

Fixed...Bad phone svc x @#$%^& auto-correct spelling = fodder for a living fossil with a warped sense of humor. ;) 8)

And - as well as a fork test as the "ancient hard shelled one" suggested...a long bamboo skewer can make for a good probe for the center of large cuts that may be to thick to fork.....like ...theThe Turtle.... :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401