Author Topic: New to the PBC - How to use videos  (Read 2031 times)

Offline PBC Ellis

New to the PBC - How to use videos
« Reply #-1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »
Hello All.  New to the forum and first  posting.  Have 3 cooks on my new PBC so far (Chicken, burgers and tri-tip). All worked pretty well except the tri-tip which took too long (I think that was user error on the way the briguettes lit on only one side). 

Here is my first but certainly not last question about the PBC: The videos at the PBC website all seem to be based on a specific size/quantities of meat.  However what happens when - as is usually the case - the size (usually smaller)of what I am cooking is not the same as the website video?. Can I still rely on the same recommended times?. Here is somewhat the opposite question: Do the times change when you cook a lot at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

PBC Ellis

Offline tomcrete1

Re: New to the PBC - How to use videos
« on: July 19, 2016, 05:12:04 AM »
Welcome from Wisconsin Ellis! Yes cooking times do vary depending on the weight of what you are cooking and how many you are cooking. The videos from PBC is a great guide that all of us that have a PBC have used with success. You need to make adjustments based on all the above plus other things such as current weather conditions, wind and condition of the coals. The best way to judge if your meat is done is with a temperature gauge or probe a lot of us us the thermal pens or similar devices and remember to always cook to usda recommended temps. There are a lot of previous posts from other members using the PBC on this site that should be able to help. One of the members (he's a bit on the goofy side) even has videos some of which show the PBC being used.  Good luck and feel free to ask any question! Remember we all like to see cooking pics   :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline PBC Ellis

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »
Thanks.  Kinda figured that would be the answer and do have a digital guage to help.  I am just used to using recipes that are more predictable. 

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »
I'd call the videos close and average enough for most cooks that are similar to what you see in them.  Over time I've gotten to know my PBC very well concerning the time/mass conundrum and don't fuss over it.  Most of the fails that have been posted have been as a result of overloading and/or improperly lighting the cooker, not so much a problem with time or adjustments. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »
Yes, the times will vary depending on size, quantity, cut of meat etc. The times in the video recipes are approximate and were also conducted at higher elevations. The best way to know if your meat is ready to be pulled and wrapped or just pulled from the PBC is by monitoring the meat temperatures. You will get used to the way the Pit Barrel Cooker works and average times as you get more experience. There is no exact science to cooking on any device, just enjoy and experiment a little. Also, never hesitate to contact us if you have questions, concerns, or need assistance.

If you are cooking at capacity, you may need to offset your lid for about 20 minutes to increase air flow and temps. The Lighting Your PBC video and the Troubleshooting video are great videos to check out on our website in the Video Recipe section.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »
Take notes. Lots of notes on your cooks. You will soon be able to closely duplicate good results consistently.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline PBC Ellis

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  Notes begin today.  I am at altitude (Parker CO) so that at least gets me started with (from?) the videos. :)

Offline Pappymn

New to the PBC - How to use videos
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  Notes begin today.  I am at altitude (Parker CO) so that at least gets me started with (from?) the videos. :)
If you are into apps at all. I use evernote for all my notes and most of my recipes
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline PBC Ellis

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 04:48:52 PM »
Thanks Pappy.  I do use Evernote and that is a great idea.

PBC Ellis

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:55 PM »
Greetings from North Texas.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS