Author Topic: Da Noob gets an SRG  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Da Noob

Da Noob gets an SRG
« Reply #-1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »
Howdy all, been reading this forum for weeks, there was a mix up on my registration.

Anyway, the way I came to own an SRG is kinda funny.  Bought a new home and was looking for a new barbeque to replace my Weber Q, not that there is anything wrong with the Q.  So I saw this Char Broil Professional two burner model on Amazon, on sale for $199 with rave reviews, never had infrared before so why not try it.  I had this grill in my saved list waiting to get something done on my patio.  Then the day I decided to order it, the price had gone up to $329.  Ouch!  So I started googling to see if I could find a better deal and came upon the SRG, saw that it was infrared, could cook whole turkeys plus had a grill top.  Googled some more and found this forum and saw that you guys were having way to much fun.  So I bought one ($164 on Amazon prime) and here I am!

A word on Char Broil service.   I unpacked the box and started to assemble.  One of the first steps in the heat shield and the switches with gas regulator and hose.  Try as I might, I could not get the nipple on the gas valve to go in the screened hole on the burner pipe.  So I call Char Broil. first person was kinda clueless. started reading the instructions back to me, so I asked for someone who had actually assembled an SRG.  A lady manager comes on, asked me a few questions and then said "either your burner pipe was not bent correctly of the gas valve is warped, so I am gonna FedEx overnight a new one of both."  I said great, one more thing, when are you gonna start paying Tommy some royalties.  Ha! Just kidding.  Next day the parts arrived and it turned out the burner pipe was the culprit,  So finally got the bad boy built.  I thought that was pretty darn good service on their part.

So I coated the inside of the cooking chamber with peanut oil, turned it on high for 15 to season.  Ready to go!  1st cook was a whole chicken, let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours (learned that here) then patted dry and coated with EVOO and put some Creole poultry spice on it.  I also bought a Bayou Classic Poulty rack set so I preheated the SRG and then stuck the bird in the chamber.  Had a metal thermometer in the bird and also used a thermopen to spot check.  After an hour or so she was done, crispy golden brown skin (sorry no pics) and I proceeded to devour the wings and legs.  Awesome!!  Made some chicken alfredo pasta with the breast meat next day. Also awesome.

Next up will be a Boston Pork Butt (small one)  I've read lots of threads on these and it seems pretty straightforward.  Don't have any pellets yet so this one will probably be au natural.  I post a new thread with pics when ready.

Weber Q
Char Broil SRG

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Da Noob gets an SRG
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:04:12 PM »
Cool! Don't forget that we like pics!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
You will find and SRG can do many thing and do them well!  Just ask away if you have questions..

As for royalties, that ship went down the stream a long. 

Guess the pellet and charcoal SRG's scared them cause since I bilt them HQ at CharBroil has nothing to say to me anymore  :(
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Da Noob

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
Ok a question

Where do you get aluminum drip pans from?  I found these at a restaurant supply site 36 for $19.95, not sure if right size though

Top Out Dimensions
8-3/4" x 6-1/4"
Top In Dimensions
8" x 5-1/2"
Bottom Dimensions
7-1/2" x 5"
Vertical Depth
1-3/8"

https://www.foil-pans.com/specialty-foil-pans/bbq-grill-foil-pans/small-8x6-bbq-grill-foil-drip-pan-36-cs.html

Weber Q
Char Broil SRG

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »
I think they will work but I never used any trays just the grease tray and clean it out
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline flave6123

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »
Those trays should work fine. The ones I use on my BEESR are the Weber pans from WalMart. The weber pans are 7.5"x5" with a depth of 1.4". They are a little small compared to the actual drip pan, but it makes it easy to change the trays out. Enjoy the new toy!!
Big Easy
BEESR
Webber

Offline Roget

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:48:33 AM »
You are spot on regarding Charbroil CS.
I thought I had a problem when I bought my SRG, & the CS rep. sent me a new regulator/hose assy. with no questions asked.

I found some drip trays that fit almost perfectly (just a little short) at Menards.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner