Author Topic: beef brisket questions  (Read 2045 times)

Offline allornothing

beef brisket questions
« Reply #-1 on: July 07, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »
Thinking about doing a brisket in the SRG this weekend, went looking thru old pages but couldn't find any old post on it.  I know they're supposed to be low and slow which is not what the SRG does but I know people have done them.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I just wing it. 

Thanks all. 

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: beef brisket questions
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:40:21 AM »
I have cooked brisket flats and they do turn out good..     

Best way I found is to have a rack that will lift the flat halfway in the basket and lay it bent in the middle (if need be) to fit.

Run SRG on high setting to get the wood chips/pellets smoking then turn down to low place flat in basket and set in the chamber.  After 3 hrs start checking IT it will go faster than a smoker set at 225 for sure.    DO NOT pull till you hit 205 (no foil while cooking) once 205 is reached pull then foil and set in cooler or food holder for 1 to 2 hrs to rest and finish.   

Again, not as good as traditional  smoker but it's good  ;) 

As for seasons, I used CYM and rub and just rub with olive oil both are good but oil to be works best :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline allornothing

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
Thanks Tommy, good thing I asked I was looking to cook it to 165, wouldn't I be surprised. 

Hopefully I get a chance to do it this weekend, although the DW keeps changing my plans..

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Thanks Tommy, good thing I asked I was looking to cook it to 165, wouldn't I be surprised. 

Hopefully I get a chance to do it this weekend, although the DW keeps changing my plans..
I pulled one at 190 to slice and found it a little tough. Last one was 205 and seems to be much more tender

Kinda like a real smoked brisket
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline allornothing

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »
Cooked my brisket yesterday, marinated it in a BBQ sauce concoction for a day and a half then cooked it for 2 1/2 on low setting till it hit 205.  Let it sit wrapped in foil for an hour and cut.  Smelled great in grill, but seemed tough to me. 

Once I figure out how to get post pictures I post them. 

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:46:29 AM »
I'm not an SRG driver but I've cooked a lot of  briskets in a lot of different cookers over the years and have finally become fairly comfortable with this unpredictable chunk.  Here are some suggestions based on general brisket tendencies and characteristics:

1.  Don't over-trim it.  Fat equals flavor, at least in reasonable amounts.  Leave about 1/4" on the fat side and cook fat side down because this fat works as a moisture barrier during the cook.  Do not separate the point and flat until cooking is finished because the point will help baste the flat.  If you cook a flat by itself you'll have moisture problems.
2.  Inject with very lightly seasoned broth, deep and shallow, more injections in the flat than in the point.  Injections are moisture insurance
3.  If you can get your SRG to produce some smoke, use it to infuse smokiness first.  See if you can get at least 30 minutes to an hour of decent blue smoke, not heavy white smoke (causes creosote or "charcoal lighter" flavor in meat).  If the SRG won't go "low and slow" (250 degrees or less) use your oven instead (after the smoke).
4.  When the IT reaches about 150 or so, wrap the brisket in a double layer of heavy foil.  It will then start to produce its own delicious basting juice inside the foil and will "braise" somewhat insuring tenderness.
5.  If you us a rub, avoid sugar-based ones.  Beef flavor is enhanced by spicing and salt, not sugar.
6.  When the IT reaches 195 pull the meat, cease the cook and let it rest for at least thirty minutes.  If you need longer, put it in an empty cooler covered with towels and it will stay hot for hours (this is called the FTC method).
7.  Separate the flat and point last.  Trim off the rest of any fat you don't want to eat.  Slice the flat ACROSS the grain, never with the grain. 
8.  A good use for the point is to dice it into 1" cubes, coat them with a sweet barbecue sauce and make "burnt ends" for snacks and sandwiches.  Alternatively you can slice it for service, too but the texture isn't as good as the flat this way.

Have fun and enjoy your work.  Maybe you'll perfect a SRG brisket  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
Cooked my brisket yesterday, marinated it in a BBQ sauce concoction for a day and a half then cooked it for 2 1/2 on low setting till it hit 205.  Let it sit wrapped in foil for an hour and cut.  Smelled great in grill, but seemed tough to me. 

Once I figure out how to get post pictures I post them.
Did you use LOW setting?   2 1/2 hrs was fast.   Mine take 4 1/2 avg         If the flat was small, smoke it for an hour or so then try wrapping in foil to help loosen up the meat
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline allornothing

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Yes I had it on the lowest setting for the gas one, I know the beesr goes lower.  It wasn't a big piece either.  I ended up sticking it in a crock pot for a few hours to see if I could get it tender.  It did but it seemed to get shred instead of cut, no matter which way I tried to cut it.  Next time I try I think I'll get some bark going and then wrap in foil until it's 210ish. 

Thanks for all the help.  Maybe I should stick with what I know I can cook, but where's the fun in that.