Author Topic: Pork ribs FAIL  (Read 6903 times)

Offline tuckaloe

Re: Pork ribs FAIL
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 08:59:12 AM »
Two things:  One, if you want "falling off the bone" ribs a PBC is only good to start them -- you'll need to finish in the oven.
Hub

Hub, can you elaborate on this comment for me just a bit?  I've only done ribs a few times in my PBC but they don't come out as well for me as other techniques.  Chicken, butt, tri tip...can't beat the PBC.  But ribs are my weak spot on this cooker and I'm trying to understand why. 

Tuck   

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 11:49:13 AM »
Two things:  One, if you want "falling off the bone" ribs a PBC is only good to start them -- you'll need to finish in the oven.
Hub

Hub, can you elaborate on this comment for me just a bit?  I've only done ribs a few times in my PBC but they don't come out as well for me as other techniques.  Chicken, butt, tri tip...can't beat the PBC.  But ribs are my weak spot on this cooker and I'm trying to understand why. 

Tuck   

Or you can also wrap them in foil for the second half of the cook. That will soften them up and make them more fall off the bone. Just be aware they will finish a bit quicker. Practice will help you get the timing down to the way you like your ribs to turn out.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tuckaloe

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »
Thanks Muebe.  That is indeed my plan.  I've smoked quite a few racks on my Weber kettle with fantastic results.  Maybe not quite fall off the bone tender but more so that in the PBC. 

And as I've already said, this is nothing against the PBC.  I've NEVER had a better chicken in my life than this cooker can produce.  Truly.  But the ribs are something I need to adapt and learn in order to get what I want. 

I will foil them,  put them on the grate or move them into the oven to finish. 

Offline Bacala

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 10:55:29 PM »
Tuckaloe, there are many people here with tons more experience than me, but I'm learning as I go too and can share what has worked well for so far. We just had PBC ribs for dinner, in fact and they were excellent. This was my third go with ribs.

I cooked them in the barrel until the end of the bones were showing a little but I couldn't really move the bones as I've seen described here, and a toothpick pressed between the bones went in fairly easily. To be honest, I lost track of time, but this was at about 3-3.25 hours in the PBC I think. I then gave each rack a thin coat of BBQ sauce, wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven at 300deg for 90 minutes. At this point they were so tender you could easily pull the meat off the bones with a fork. No, I don't eat my ribs with a fork - just did that to test them! Oh, these were St. Louis style ribs, by the way.

Offline tuckaloe

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 11:44:14 PM »
Thanks Bacala, very appreciated.

I had my ribs on the PBC for 2.75 hrs, bones beginning to show pretty clearly.   I wrapped, a splash of Bud Light Lime(only *pop* I  had on hand) and they went into a 230 oven for 45 minutes. 
\
After this time, I removed, sauced with Sweet Baby Ray's and hung them with double hooks for another 45 minutes to tighten the sauce.

They were excellent and pretty tender.  Zero complaints. 

That said, I *think* I still prefer the Weber when it comes to ribs.  I'll do another rack  on the Weber in the very near future for comparison sake