Author Topic: Unpleasant aftertaste after my first cook on PBC...Help!  (Read 9723 times)

Offline Pugfug

Unpleasant aftertaste after my first cook on PBC...Help!
« Reply #-1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:23:49 AM »
Hello everyone,

Just got my new PBC this week and tried it for the first time last night. Where I live in Canada, winter has set in, but I am fortunate enough to have a barbecue shelter which allows me a comfortable place to cook year round. So last night I decided to break it in by cooking some chicken and a pork loin rib roast. I followed the lighting instructions for use with a chimney but now I am wondering if I allowed enough time for the Kingsford to really take off. Everything cooked as promised, more or less in the time I would have expected, but I could detect an unpleasant undertone on my food...almost like lighter fluid (even though I didn't use any) which I am sure was from the basket not being equally "on fire". Has anyone else ever had a bad after taste from un-ignited charcoal. I've never used Kingsford before and have never had a similar problem with lump charcoal leaving bad after tastes. I have a big egg and a horizon offset, both of which give fantastic results..and I know that the PBC should also do the same...and will...once I figure out what I'm doing. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.... 8)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Unpleasant aftertaste after my first cook on PBC...Help!
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:27:51 AM »
Welcome from Manitoba ;D what part of Canada are you from?

I'm sure one of the many barrel folks will be around to lend a hand.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pugfug

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
Ha, ha...well Hello there:) I'm from New Brunswick...we're in the midst of our third Nor'easter in a month...its going to be a looooonnnng winter if this trend continues...at least I'll have something to distract myself from cold...:)

Offline Pappymn

Unpleasant aftertaste after my first cook on PBC...Help!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »
Welcome from Minnesota. The talent should be by shortly
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »
Welcome from Southern Ontario. I'm not a PBC owner but I do know that if I don't give the charcoal enough time to burn before putting the food on my weber or BGE I tend to get that bitter smoke taste. Try giving the coals just a little more time to get going.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Pugfug

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:32 AM »
Thanks Pappy...I've been sifting through the site...I know that my intake vent is set properly....I'm pretty sure it was a problem of ignition now...and I added a good sized chunk of wood, which I think now added to the problem...I'm going to try again tonight...hoping for better results  :)

Offline Pugfug

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »
Duly noted Scallywag...it surprised me in that when using my egg, if my lump is not completely on fire, there never seems to be any bad flavor associated with the charcoal...I'm wondering if this is another difference btw Kingsford and lump...

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »
Welcome from a North Carolina PBC owner.  Did you do a good "burn-in" before cooking on your PBC?  It is possible that you didn't get all the packing/shipping "crap" burned off.  Especially if it was really cold when you did the burn-in.  I have not had any problems using either the chimney method or Kingsford lighter fluid method.  I always wait until all the coals are nice and white hot before adding any protein to the PBC.

Good luck, and keep us informed.  We all learn from  each other.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Pugfug

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
Hi Art,

Now that you mention...no I did not...not sure why, but I thought I had read on the faq for pitbarrelcooker.com that seasoning the drum was not necessary....but in hindsight, that may have also contributed to my flavor experience. Will try again tonight, this time with a hotter fire and see how things go...

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:33:44 AM »
Welcome to the PBC world PugFug.
What kind of smoke were you getting while cooking, white bellowing smoke? That will mess up your food in any cooker.
If you plan on using wood chunks make sure that you are getting clean smoke before you hang your food. And always start with well ignited hot coals in the basket.
I stopped using wood in my PBC. I find it unnecessary.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 11:30:57 AM »
...and I added a good sized chunk of wood, which I think now added to the problem...

Bingo!  Point, set, match  ;D

You will get just about the right amount of smoke from the charcoal itself.  Over-smoked meat has a "petroleum/creosote" taste that is well known to competition judges. 

Be very careful about adding smoke enhancement to your PBC.  I've used a scant handful of pellets on occasion without over-smoking but "a good sized chunk" will overpower given the small size of the PBC's cooking chamber and the method of burn.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »
I feel if you are going to use the chimney starter method instead of lighter fluid, maybe give the unlit coals a little extra time to "take off" after you pour the lit coals in.

I have tried wood chips and chunks in my PBC and I like the results better with just plain Kingsford.

Now if you have been using lump in your other pits, you probably noticed a different flavor from the Kingsford.

Why not get a little bottle of Kingsford lighter fluid, follow the video on PBC, stay away from the wood (for now) and give that method a try. I have used lighter fluid in my PBC for the last 3 years without ever an off taste..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »
Welcome

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Pugfug

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 01:20:32 PM »
Thanks Guys....basically confirms what I suspected...next cook I will avoid adding anything but the charcoal and will def. make sure it is well ignited before the cook starts. Planning more chicken on the weekend (since we are stormed in today), possibly some ribs and then a trial run with a prime rib to get my method sorted before Christmas Day....

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 01:25:16 PM »
Welcome from mid Alabama.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware