Author Topic: A Truly "Set and Forget" Christmas Turkey for 22  (Read 6936 times)

Offline Bacala

A Truly "Set and Forget" Christmas Turkey for 22
« Reply #-1 on: December 26, 2014, 12:09:35 PM »
I almost chickened out! Up early to start preparing for our guests I had already set out the cooker and filled the basket, and while working on other things in the house I got a case of cold feet. I told my wife, "I think I should just use the oven. We have a lot of people coming and this is a big bird (23lb). What if something goes wrong?" She talked me out of my fear, and everything worked out perfectly.

I cut the bird in half right down the center of the spine because it was just too large to spatchcock, which had been my original plan. Chose not to do it whole because I thought the halves would be a quicker, more reliable cook. I learned on my practice bird that without the spine, the thighs and legs just hang by the skin and I worried about them falling into the fire, so this is the reason I wanted bone on both sides when cut. I pulled the turkey from the fridge, patted it dry and added the rub, then let it sit out while I lit the cooker. We hung the halves at 11:15am after adding apple wood to the fire, and pulled it at 3:55pm when the alarm on the new ThermoWorks Dot I received as a gift alerted us that the temp in the breast had reached 165deg. We spot-checked both halves with the instant-read, and everything was good. Rested it for 20 minutes before carving, then brought to the table the prettiest, most juicy turkey I'd ever seen.

I am not exaggerating a bit when I say that everyone was floored. Throughout the meal we continued to hear positive comments about the flavor, juiciness and tenderness. I was asked several times if I had brined the bird (had not) because people just couldn't believe how moist the breast meat was. I have to apologize for the lack of pictures, but between being busy and a little embarrassed about shooting food pics in front of everyone, I just didn't get it done. Even so, I wanted to get this report out for those that may have had issues when trying a turkey or may be a bit intimidated to do so. This was my third and the first was good, but the second two were outstanding. Difference was that I left the first on the fire until reading 170deg in the breast, and pulled the second two at 165deg. BIG difference! As always, just get the fire started well and it will work.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: A Truly "Set and Forget" Christmas Turkey for 22
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »
One photo of a smiling face would cover it ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
That is great to hear!

But, once you start taking pictures of your cooks - you will find that they help you to further your cooking skills. ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

heathen

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
Nice report, glad it all worked out.

I have a PBC on my short list of stuff to get. Posts like this, make it even harder to wait.  :P

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
The PBC knocks another one out of the park!

Next time don't forget to get the pics ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »
Congratulations! I love a happy ending. But get some pics next time ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 04:40:55 PM »
Sounds like a great turkey on the PBC.

Pics would be nice next time or else someone is going to mention the unicorn.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline PongGod

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 01:17:01 AM »
I almost chickened out! Up early to start preparing for our guests I had already set out the cooker and filled the basket, and while working on other things in the house I got a case of cold feet. I told my wife, "I think I should just use the oven. We have a lot of people coming and this is a big bird (23lb). What if something goes wrong?" She talked me out of my fear, and everything worked out perfectly.

I cut the bird in half right down the center of the spine because it was just too large to spatchcock, which had been my original plan. Chose not to do it whole because I thought the halves would be a quicker, more reliable cook. I learned on my practice bird that without the spine, the thighs and legs just hang by the skin and I worried about them falling into the fire, so this is the reason I wanted bone on both sides when cut. I pulled the turkey from the fridge, patted it dry and added the rub, then let it sit out while I lit the cooker. We hung the halves at 11:15am after adding apple wood to the fire, and pulled it at 3:55pm when the alarm on the new ThermoWorks Dot I received as a gift alerted us that the temp in the breast had reached 165deg. We spot-checked both halves with the instant-read, and everything was good. Rested it for 20 minutes before carving, then brought to the table the prettiest, most juicy turkey I'd ever seen.

I am not exaggerating a bit when I say that everyone was floored. Throughout the meal we continued to hear positive comments about the flavor, juiciness and tenderness. I was asked several times if I had brined the bird (had not) because people just couldn't believe how moist the breast meat was. I have to apologize for the lack of pictures, but between being busy and a little embarrassed about shooting food pics in front of everyone, I just didn't get it done. Even so, I wanted to get this report out for those that may have had issues when trying a turkey or may be a bit intimidated to do so. This was my third and the first was good, but the second two were outstanding. Difference was that I left the first on the fire until reading 170deg in the breast, and pulled the second two at 165deg. BIG difference! As always, just get the fire started well and it will work.

23# turkey? Holy crap, that bird must have been on the 'roids!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 01:54:41 AM »
Folks are getting soft. Nobody is yelling unicorn? Hahaha
Glad it worked out great Bacala!!
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »

Ok I buy the Unicorn and the cat riding it but a golden gun? That is going too far :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

Ok I buy the Unicorn and the cat riding it but a golden gun? That is going too far :P
But you're ok with the Unicorn having fire coming out its noise? The gun I get.  ::)
Love to cook and eat

Offline Braddymac

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 05:24:40 PM »
The fire and gun are fine.  The rainbow, however....  The light is all wrong.  It would be impossible for there to be a visible rainbow from the angle of the camera based upon the position of the sun, as indicated by the shadow under the unicorn.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Now...lets be fair guys...Bacala may not understand the "Unicorn" reference. I suggest that it would be appropriate for someone explain it ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »
If you post but don't post photos then we call it a unicorn cook. Never really happened.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.