Author Topic: A Truly "Set and Forget" Christmas Turkey for 22  (Read 6934 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: A Truly "Set and Forget" Christmas Turkey for 22
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 06:11:19 PM »
Now...lets be fair guys...Bacala may not understand the "Unicorn" reference. I suggest that it would be appropriate for someone explain it ;)

dude, if you post cooks and no pictures that is a unicorn cook.  not good.  we like pics my friend.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Bacala

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »
Now...lets be fair guys...Bacala may not understand the "Unicorn" reference. I suggest that it would be appropriate for someone explain it ;)

Nah, I get it. I half-expected the subject to be raised when I posted without pics, so no worries. I'll take care of it next time I grill several dozen hot dogs for our 4-H club. You'll have more pics of dogs from more angles, different lighting, etc., that you'll surely be satisfied  ;)

It's time to restock the freezer so I just pulled four racks of ribs and I've now got six chicken halves hanging, but I'll keep quiet because we've seen enough of both of those.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »

Nah, I get it. I half-expected the subject to be raised when I posted without pics, so no worries. I'll take care of it next time I grill several dozen hot dogs for our 4-H club. You'll have more pics of dogs from more angles, different lighting, etc., that you'll surely be satisfied  ;)

It's time to restock the freezer so I just pulled four racks of ribs and I've now got six chicken halves hanging, but I'll keep quiet because we've seen enough of both of those.

You're a good sport, you will fit in with this group nicely. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
Second unicorn cook. Hahaha
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Hub

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 08:19:58 AM »
I'm really pleased to hear you got it right on your turkey in the PBC.  There are lots of "okay" reports on turkey cooks but yours is the first one I recall that was a rave review.  Seriously, I'd love to see how you did it with the halves and the hanging of them.  I'm having trouble picturing how to copy it.  Can you at least give us a detailed description of how you accomplished the cook?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Bacala

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
Hub, I'm definitely not the first to get it right but I agree that there seem to be a fair number of "okay" reports, and even a few fails. Looking down the first page here, I see turkey cooks described as "awesome" and "amazing", so others have had great success before I came along. I do understand that a picture of the bird hanging would be very helpful, but I simply didn't think of it at the time. I've always been more of a "words guy". Details of the cook are in original post, so I'll describe what happened prior to that here.

If you picture any of the the shots we've seen of whole birds hanging in the cooker, then imagine them sliced right down the middle with each half hanging on its own bar, that's my cook. I hung them with the breast down and spine parallel to the bars, not vertical like the chicken halves we see here. In each side, I put one hook near the wing and one just forward of the tail. Had originally planned on using three hooks on each side since this was such a heavy bird, but with the spine still in place for strength it was clear that two would be enough.

I started the coals with the method I am now comfortable with after trying a few things. I just couldn't make it work when following PBC's included instructions for a chimney light.

- Fill basket, then remove 50 coals to chimney
- Light with two sheets of rolled newsprint and let burn 15 minutes
- Pour lit coals over those in basket and distribute evenly, then let burn with lid off for 10 minutes
- Place lid on cooker and wait 10 minutes more
- Add wood chunks and hang meat

Since we've been speaking of pictures I have to say I would LOVE to have a shot of my daughter's face when she walked into the kitchen that morning and saw me standing at the sink holding a running Sawzall as I was about to slice down through the spine. She showed great restraint and uttered just one comment - "Is that even sanitary?".

Please feel free to follow with any specific questions you may have. Happy to help!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 05:44:52 AM »
That is great to hear!

But, once you start taking pictures of your cooks - you will find that they help you to further your cooking skills. ;)

x2
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Hub

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
Thanks for the details.  I think I see what you did.  Sometime pretty soon I'm going to do a turkey using your approach.  I was just too chicken to experiment on my friends and family before I was comfortable with it.  My Traeger did a wonderful turkey the way it always does, but I know I can do one on the PBC, too.  Your word picture of your Sawsall handicraft is easy to picture.

Don't be too discouraged by all the "unicorn" comments.  Some of us aren't good with cameras and I'm definitely one of those.  I also don't use a cell phone except for emergencies and the camera function in mine is illogical and almost impossible to get a picture out of.  So please keep on using words.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline hikerman

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
Ahem....back to the unicorn.  Are those flames coming out of his rear-end?  Maybe that's how they fly? ???

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »
Ahem....back to the unicorn.  Are those flames coming out of his rear-end?  Maybe that's how they fly? ???

That's an RPU (Rocket Propelled Unicorn). :P
----------------------

Offline Bacala

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
Hub, no discouragement on my part. We are a very visual society now, and the forums across the internet reflect that. I personally would rather read a nicely composed paragraph or two most times, but that just isn't where we are now. I used to frequent a couple of fishing-related forums so I have lots of experience with the "no pic, didn't happen" thing. I swear, Steinbeck or Hemingway could pen the most descriptive report about an outing and might garner a "way to go" or two, but if Joe Sixpack posts a blurry, badly lit shot of a dead fish in a bucket the kudos come by the trainload. Different triggers for different tastes, I think. All good.

I'll be looking for your report here when you do a PBC turkey. I've only had my barrel about 1.5 months but I believe that once you try a few cooks and get a good feel for the behavior of the thing, you can cook just about anything in it. I'm thinking of trying to duplicate the great smoked turkey legs you can buy at the County Fair for my next challenge.