Author Topic: AMNPS in the PBC?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline elsos

• Central Arizona
AMNPS in the PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
So being a complete rookie on the PBC, and the fact that I have ample amounts of pellets, one has to ask if there's been success using the AMNPS instead of a couple chunks of wood on top of the charcoal. I played with a tiny tin foil pan by punching a bunch of holes in it and placing a well burned coal in it. Even put it next to the opening and opened it a little further but it smoldered out.
Thoughts?  More holes in the tin pan? Prop the smoker on a brick?

Elsos

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: AMNPS in the PBC?
« on: January 06, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
I personally don't think the PBC needs any wood. But if you want maybe place a small chunk on the coals in some foil with holes in it. Remember in a cooker like the PBC a little goes a long way.

You can also use lump charcoal instead. That will give you a bit higher temps and faster burn but will also give you some wood flavor.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 08:46:44 AM »
muebe's right.  Be very careful about adding smoke production to the PBC.  It is a tightly contained environment and a little goes a long ways as some other threads have revealed.  The charcoal itself is enough for most tastes, so sneak up on it.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
I cannot stand an overwhelming smoke flavor and have used this method more times than I can count on my Weber, which is also a closed environment, running similar temps as the PBC, so the principal should be the same.

Put just a small handful (about 1/3 cup - MAX) of pellets or a small handful of dry chips in a foil pouch, seal it and punch ONE tiny hole in it with a toothpick. THAT'S IT... Just ONE, and keep it small.

Trust me on this; one tiny hole is all you need.

If you poke too many holes and let in too much air the pellets will just burn. One small hole lets pyrolysis take over and allows the pellets/chips release their phenols in a clean manner and leaves behind the carbonized wood (this is how charcoal is made).

Add the pouch to the side of the coals at the beginning of the cook, and that pouch will become a little smoke factory, putting out a clean smoke just long enough to add some flavor but shouldn't overwhelm. 

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »
I have tried wood in my PBC......ONCE  did not care for it. You get the most wonderful flavor from the Kingsford and the "grease fog" that is created when the drippings from the meat drop onto the lit charcoal below.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 12:46:42 PM »
I have tried wood in my PBC......ONCE  did not care for it. You get the most wonderful flavor from the Kingsford and the "grease fog" that is created when the drippings from the meat drop onto the lit charcoal below.........

That's been my experience with my PBC too, wonderful flavor from the charcoal alone.  If I want to use different wood flavors I use my WSM or BEESR. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline elsos

• Central Arizona
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 03:34:46 PM »
I cannot stand an overwhelming smoke flavor and have used this method more times than I can count on my Weber, which is also a closed environment, running similar temps as the PBC, so the principal should be the same.

Put just a small handful (about 1/3 cup - MAX) of pellets or a small handful of dry chips in a foil pouch, seal it and punch ONE tiny hole in it with a toothpick. THAT'S IT... Just ONE, and keep it small.

Trust me on this; one tiny hole is all you need.

If you poke too many holes and let in too much air the pellets will just burn. One small hole lets pyrolysis take over and allows the pellets/chips release their phenols in a clean manner and leaves behind the carbonized wood (this is how charcoal is made).

Add the pouch to the side of the coals at the beginning of the cook, and that pouch will become a little smoke factory, putting out a clean smoke just long enough to add some flavor but shouldn't overwhelm. 

I don't like too much smoke either, but can see where just Kingsford will get a little old.  I will try this...with one ping only tiny hole. I've used several holes before and the results are exactly as you say, flame up.
Now I have to pull my dictionary out to figure out what pyrolysis means!   :-[

I've seen some pics where some folks are adding a chunck or two of wood for smoke. Thought maybe it should impart a variety from the Kingford. I'll try it first on a pork butt or something that should be able to take it.

Thanks!!

Offline elsos

• Central Arizona
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »
and the "grease fog" that is created when the drippings from the meat drop onto the lit charcoal below.........

Smokeasaurus, did you coin the term Grease Fog?  That is great! And true!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 03:42:30 PM »
and the "grease fog" that is created when the drippings from the meat drop onto the lit charcoal below.........

It is the name of a favorite band of Smoke's and Sparky's...that they almost remember.... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »

It is the name of a favorite band of Smoke's and Sparky's...that they almost remember.... :D :D :D

Using the names Smoke & Sparky in the same sentance sounds like comedy act. :P :P :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »

I actually got that saying years ago from Rocky Richmond who made the BDS  (Big Drum Smoker)  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32