Author Topic: Total newb about to order a PBC I think. Some thoughts I've had...  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Total newb about to order a PBC I think. Some thoughts I've had...
« Reply #-1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »
My first post here, signed up just for this forum but looking through Everything else as well.
I got a gas fired Big Easy for Christmas from my GF and in the process of reading up on it I ran across the PBC and it def caught my attention. I felt like the Big Easy wasn't the right smoker for me. BUT, I think I'm keeping it for the infrared grill top and it's propane usage, so that I can cook quicker when I don't feel like waiting on charcoal. Plus after scrolling through here it appears to include a basket that works well for chicken legs in the PBC.
One thing of interest that I found was a topology map of my area and I could actually zoom right in to my house and get an exact elevation. I'm at exactly 554 feet. Pretty cool. So, I think I'll end up having it set at 1/4 open or maybe just a hair less?
Does anyone recommend this as a first smoker? I want something fairly easy. My next choice would probably be a WSM. Those seem to be a bit more trouble or effort. Maybe later?
I'm also looking for a grill grate that I can cut in half so that I can hang and shelf things at the same time.
I'll probably order one today or tomorrow, and a DOT at the same time to keep track of internal temps.
Thanks for reading and for any suggestions you guys have before or after I do this.
Paul
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

Also, would you guys suggest a first cook with the first light or check to see how the temp is through the first few hours without any food to make sure the setting is in the right ballpark. I'd hate to ruin some food. First cook will probably be a chicken (you guys don't shut up about it! Ha) and a rack of ribs at the same time. I'm interested to get a tri tip and a whole ribeye on there as well. And some chicken legs.

Here's a question... What is the largest aluminum pan that you can fit in there? I want to smoke some beans and chili and stuff as well and figured the bigger you can get the more surface area will get exposed. I'd throw a chunk of wood in for that. Prob as an afterthought just to get more out of a load of it's going to stay hot longer anyway.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Re: Total newb about to order a PBC I think. Some thoughts I've had...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »
Hi Paul,

The PBC is very new to me too (Christmas present) and I've only had two cooks in it so far, both times baby back ribs. Can't wait to do a chicken next time.

I really do love how easy it is to get this thing going and to just leave it alone. I monitor my internal temp with a DOT, and temps seem to be around 270 for five plus hours. I would hesitate to call the PBC a "smoker" though. It's almost a hybrid smoker/roaster/grill.

What I've done for adding a little color and smoke flavor during both my cooks is to toss in a chunk or two of applewood.

Also, I've seen replacement grates that you can remove one section from for your idea of hanging and grating at the same time. The one I saw was cast iron.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply!
How well did tossing a chunk or two of wood in there do as far as getting some smoke flavor going? How are the ribs so far?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
Paul the PBC does not fit into the "smoker" category. It really is in the roaster/power cooker zone IMHO.

I personally think that adding any wood defeats the purpose of this cooker. The flavor of charcoal is great. If you want a wood flavor moving to lump charcoal will provide you with what you need. But do not move to using lump until you have learned this cooker.

The most important thing when starting is to get the bed of coals properly lit. I don't care if your cooking just a chicken nugget or 8 chickens it is very important to fill the bed to level. Don't try to conserve charcoal because your temps will be unreliable.

I highly suggest that when you first start cooking to use the lighter fluid method. People who start using the charcoal starter run into problems because there is a learning curve to it. Not that it does not work but getting a good bed of coals can be troubling when using the charcoal starter method. Once you get some cooks under your belt then experiment. I have found that good lighter fluid like Kingsford if properly done will burn off and not add any flavor to the food. Cheap stuff will! And don't let it soak in to the charcoal. That is the key. After applying the lighter fluid you need to promptly move it to the PBC and light. Then wait the full 20 minutes for the bed of coals to establish.

Also using Kingsford will give you the most reliable temps to what Noah(PBC invented) had intended. If you follow his cooking videos using his exact methods you will be in great shape. His videos are well thought out and make things easy for the beginner.

The best thing the PBC does IMHO is whole chickens. It does other things great too! So I would make that your first cook. If doing whole chickens make sure they are securely hooked otherwise they will fall. Don't ask me how I know. Otherwise you can do quarters or halves with no problems.

The PBC is designed so that when the juices drip onto the coal bed there is a grease fog that is made. The interior of the cooker becomes hot and humid. Great for moist and delicious chicken. The key to crispy chicken I have found is to finish the chicken the last 5 or 10 minutes with the lid off. You MUST keep an eye on things when doing this or they will become burned chickens instantly.

Leave the lid on and don't peak. Let it work for at least an hour on chickens before looking. If your at the approximate intended temps then things should go swimmingly. Don't fret on the temps either. Just get your air adjusted right and the charcoal bed right then you should be good!

We are all here to help. And Noah is just a phone call away. Seriously he or Amber will answer the phone and work with you until things are right. The best customer service around period! How many other companies where the CEO or CFO will answer your phone call directly?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
Muebe called it. I have used the PBC probably longer than anyone round these parts, and all I can say is...use Kingsford.............no wood........follow Noah's video instructions and enjoy your PBC............ 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »
Muebe called it. I have used the PBC probably longer than anyone round these parts, and all I can say is...use Kingsford.............no wood........follow Noah's video instructions and enjoy your PBC............ 8)

I also agree with everything muebe and smokeasaurus say.  I'll add that if you want to conserve charcoal, still fill the basket full as recommended, but when done cooking plug all openings, the four at the top where the rebar are inserted and the bottom vent, with tin foil.   I have done this method and have saved a lot of unburned charcoal to be used for later cooks.  It also works in my WSM and WSJ too, with them I just close the vents and snuff out the burning coals for later use.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »

I also agree with everything muebe and smokeasaurus say.  I'll add that if you want to conserve charcoal, still fill the basket full as recommended, but when done cooking plug all openings, the four at the top where the rebar are inserted and the bottom vent, with tin foil.   I have done this method and have saved a lot of unburned charcoal to be used for later cooks.  It also works in my WSM and WSJ too, with them I just close the vents and snuff out the burning coals for later use.

More great advice from LVC  8)   Lining the bottom of the PBC with HD foil makes cleanup a snap  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply!
How well did tossing a chunk or two of wood in there do as far as getting some smoke flavor going? How are the ribs so far?

In my opinion adding the wood chunks has produced mixed results. I think it added a bit of color to the bark and some smoke taste, but not as much as I would have expected.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 05:50:26 PM »

I have used my PBC for some time now (I bought mine on Smoke's advice and never regretted it.) I would love to add some brilliance to this conversation, but these guys have it right. Of course experimenting is part of the fun cooking over a live fire. But, from my experience if you follow Noah's videos (or ask Amber a question) it will simply work.

So, playing around is fun, but if you want a reliable delicious cook - follow the instructions. Oh and post descriptions and lots of pictures...  ;) ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »
One of the best outdoor cookers out there.
Get it, experiment with it, make it your own.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer