Author Topic: Why is PBC DIFFERENT ?  (Read 7093 times)

Offline jjjonz

Why is PBC DIFFERENT ?
« Reply #-1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »
I know this question has been asked, but I just couldn't find it. What makes PBC different ? Why couldn't one use something like a WSM without a diffuser and do the same thing the PBC does ? I know the PBC has to be some kind of good cooker with all the positive reviews.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Why is PBC DIFFERENT ?
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:23:13 AM »
I have used a WSM as a "PBC" with similar results. The difference is in the science of airflow in relation to the PBC shape and size i.e. design.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:27:13 AM »
One of these days I am going to experiment with my WSM and try chicken without the water pan and see if I get similar results as the PBC.  Not sure if laying the chickens flat on the grill of the WSM will produce the same results as hanging them in the PBC though, but it would be interesting to find out.

The PBC is more of a set it and forget it cooker, once the bottom vent is adjusted to the altitude that it is being cooked no further adjustment should be necessary, whereas the WSM requires vent adjustment every cook to get the temps in the desired range.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:33:03 AM »
I am not an expert, and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Express in months. But, for what it's worth having used both of these, this is my impression.

The PBC id not a smoker - the WSM is. They are different cookers used for different purposes. I have never used a UDS - but again, my thoughts are the PBC is different. Muebe (on this forum) calls the PBC a "power cooker." I think that is the best description. Used as directed it makes some of the best chicken and other proteins (as well as pizza) you can imagine. However, IMHO, it is not a smoker. And, that's ok with me - I have a smoker.

I enjoy using my PBC and my friends and family enjoy the food.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
One of these days I am going to experiment with my WSM and try chicken without the water pan and see if I get similar results as the PBC.  Not sure if laying the chickens flat on the grill of the WSM will produce the same results as hanging them in the PBC though, but it would be interesting to find out.

The PBC is more of a set it and forget it cooker, once the bottom vent is adjusted to the altitude that it is being cooked no further adjustment should be necessary, whereas the WSM requires vent adjustment every cook to get the temps in the desired range.

I guess this is the real question ....has anyone ever tried to take the pan and pour and start the charcoal, and set the vents per PBC. I am sure there are ways to hang he meat. After all the 18 inch WSM is pretty close the same size as the PBC. I do realize that one is designed to be a smoker and one is a cooker. I just think people who own a WSM might just have a PBC and not know it. I wish I still had mine I would do some testing. I have tried it on my mini WSM and come pretty close.....I took the diffuser out and hung ribs ...they got burnt a little on the end close to the charcoal. The lock the temp in at 300 degrees and it stayed pretty close the whole cook. I sure would like for someone to do some testing. On the WSM.....
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »
The PBC is a power cooker/roaster. The only thing it has in common with a UDS is that the meat is cooked directly over the charcoal. This causes the drippings and seasonings to fall onto the lit coals and create a "Grease Fog" that flavors the meat in a way that a Offset or Bullet style cooker can not replicate.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
The airflow and distance between the meat & coal bed are what set this cooker apart from others. The meat hanging can also be done in a WSM.

You might get close with a WSM if the distance between the meat and coal bed are similar. The air flow might be more difficult to replicate and the interior size adds to that.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »

I guess this is the real question ....has anyone ever tried to take the pan and pour and start the charcoal, and set the vents per PBC. I am sure there are ways to hang he meat. After all the 18 inch WSM is pretty close the same size as the PBC. I do realize that one is designed to be a smoker and one is a cooker. I just think people who own a WSM might just have a PBC and not know it. I wish I still had mine I would do some testing. I have tried it on my mini WSM and come pretty close.....I took the diffuser out and hung ribs ...they got burnt a little on the end close to the charcoal. The lock the temp in at 300 degrees and it stayed pretty close the whole cook. I sure would like for someone to do some testing. On the WSM.....

It would not be possible to set the vents on a WSM as per the PBC, the WSM has 3 vents on the bottom and one vent at the top, too much of a design difference to follow the PBC vent setting on a WSM.  The only possible vent settings is to try to get the WSM vents set to hold it at near the same temps that the PBC cooks at.

The WSM 18.5 might be similar in size to the PBC but the design difference would make it difficult if not impossible to hang meat in the WSM like you would in a PBC.  The WSM domed lid is about 1/4 of the total height of the WSM, so there would not be the same distance from where the meat hangs to the fire.  If you could hang meat from the grate of the WSM 18.5 it would be much closer to the charcoal basket than the PBC.  I say that if you want to hang meat in a WSM like you do in a PBC you would probably need to have a WSM 22.5.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
The PBC is, generically, a "drum cooker" that has been designed for minimal adjustment potential.  The WSM is, as has been pointed out a "smoker" that has lots of adjustment potential.  Both will do pretty much the same thing if you wish but the intent of the design of each was not the same.

Most folks who are not happy with their PBC's (read through the threads here and you'll see several) want more involvement in the process than just putting the food in, timing it, then taking the food out -- a PBC strong point!  Similarly, those who don't want to regulate air or set up various fire methods have problems with their WSM's.  Both are excellent cookers for their intended uses.  Problems result when the user really wanted something else.

A cook who doesn't object to learning setup and adjustment will ultimately learn how to make a WSM "sing" across a wide spectrum of food types and methods.  We see lots of WSM's in competition because of their versatility.  The PBC is not as versatile overall but can be "learned" within a fairly broad range of meats and the manufacturer posts good videos about how to use it. 

Net:  figure out your cooking needs then find a cooker that most closely matches them.  There's no universally "perfect" cooker but, its fun to try them out!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
Here is my advice...  ;) ;D

Have breakfast with LVC - hit the jackpot and buy a PBC and a smoker = best of all worlds.

Just a thought...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »
Here is my advice...  ;) ;D

Have breakfast with LVC - hit the jackpot and buy a PBC and a smoker = best of all worlds.

Just a thought...

:) ;) :D ;D
----------------------

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for you input.
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 12:41:27 AM »
I have hang ribs and chicken in the WSM 22.5.

Results are similar but the WSM 22.5 will go through coals like crazy. I used the snake method.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
Very nice, Bigg! Those are some excellent looking meats. I love the Craycort cast iron grids.
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »
Good looking bones and birds. ;)
----------------------