Author Topic: Why is PBC DIFFERENT ?  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: Why is PBC DIFFERENT ?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 02:40:39 PM »
I have hang ribs and chicken in the WSM 22.5.

Results are similar but the WSM 22.5 will go through coals like crazy. I used the snake method.

I thought I'd seen someone post about this previously, was that you Bigg?

I've thought about trying this out, but haven't so far.  Partially because I'm lazy, but mostly because I pretty darn happy with the results I'm currently getting on both the Kettle & the Bullet.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
I have hang ribs and chicken in the WSM 22.5.

Results are similar but the WSM 22.5 will go through coals like crazy. I used the snake method.

I thought I'd seen someone post about this previously, was that you Bigg?

I've thought about trying this out, but haven't so far.  Partially because I'm lazy, but mostly because I pretty darn happy with the results I'm currently getting on both the Kettle & the Bullet.

BD

Yes I posted this somewhere. I experiment quite a lot LOL
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »
Very nice, Bigg! Those are some excellent looking meats. I love the Craycort cast iron grids.

Yet another accessory on the list . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »
Very nice, Bigg! Those are some excellent looking meats. I love the Craycort cast iron grids.

Yet another accessory on the list . . . .

BD

I had the craycort grate for over two years, money well spent.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
I am not an expert, and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Express in months. But, for what it's worth having used both of these, this is my impression.

The PBC id not a smoker - the WSM is. They are different cookers used for different purposes. I have never used a UDS - but again, my thoughts are the PBC is different. Muebe (on this forum) calls the PBC a "power cooker." I think that is the best description. Used as directed it makes some of the best chicken and other proteins (as well as pizza) you can imagine. However, IMHO, it is not a smoker. And, that's ok with me - I have a smoker.

I enjoy using my PBC and my friends and family enjoy the food.
drholly
Have you or do you know of anyone that has tied to cold smoke cheese, sausage or bacon in the PBC?
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
CM - I haven't tried that. I don't know of anyone, but there are some very creative folks here - I bet someone will respond. I have to say, with the bars in and using something like the Amazen, it just might work.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 11:24:13 PM »
CM - I haven't tried that. I don't know of anyone, but there are some very creative folks here - I bet someone will respond. I have to say, with the bars in and using something like the Amazen, it just might work.
drholly
Thanks for the response. I really am interested in buying a PBC and I have read all great reviews and no negative reviews, so I'm on board. I just want to make sure that that I covered all my bases before I leap into buying what could end up as an expensive trash can. Not to say the product is faulty, I want to use it to its capabilities and not let it sit.
Thanks
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 11:58:42 PM »
drholly
Thanks for the response. I really am interested in buying a PBC and I have read all great reviews and no negative reviews, so I'm on board. I just want to make sure that that I covered all my bases before I leap into buying what could end up as an expensive trash can. Not to say the product is faulty, I want to use it to its capabilities and not let it sit.
Thanks
CM

CM

Please understand I can only speak from my experience - so, take it for what it's worth. I have several (according t my wife - far too many) cookers. While there is a lot of overlap, most of them have something special that makes me like to use them. The PBC is a brilliant "set it and forget it" power cooker. It is perfect for poultry when I just want a delicious bird without having to hover by the cooker. In fact it makes some of the best chicken I've tasted - hands down. I've had excellent results with turkey, butts, and ribs.

However, if you are the kind of person that likes to mess with a fire, tweak the temps, experiment with different woods / chips / etc. this is probably not the right unit for you. It is designed to come to the "right" temperature if you follow the lighting instructions and the height of the grate or bars for hanging is in the "sweet spot". It just works.

It is not designed to be a smoker (although you might be able to make it work.)

My 2 cents,

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 06:22:50 AM »
Trust me. Get the PBC Chief! You won't regret it!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven