Author Topic: Anyone tried an A-maz-in tube smoker in the PBC during or prior to a cook?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Anyone tried an A-maz-in tube smoker in the PBC during or prior to a cook?
« Reply #-1 on: January 14, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
Just finished looking into these tube smokers, they seem like a cool product/idea. I'm all about fruit wood smoke.  My idea would be to cold smoke whatever I'm cooking in the PBC for about an hour or two before actually firing the coals up. Any thoughts, recommendations, warnings?  I bet it would smoke pretty well with the bars in. I doubt if it would be ideal directly on or around the coals. I also wonder if this idea is any better or worse than just using a chunk of wood during the cook. 
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
I use my Amazen tube smoker for cold smoking in my MAK.  I haven't had any problems or issues with that application.  I have cold smoked cheese and fish.  I would say that if you are planning on trying to cold smoke anything, the usual safety precautions about non-cured proteins apply.  The proteins should, IMO, have a cure applied prior to cold smoking.  Cold smoking is usually reserved for a temperature range (usually below 80 degrees) that would normally promote the growth of bacteria.  Hence my comment about applying a cure.

You do have a natural "smoke house" with the PBC.  It should work.  Let us all know.  I will try it if I get some sausage made up this winter.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Paul Hart

I also considered lighting a few coals in my regular cheapo grill on one side and putting the tube smoker on the other and doing it that way, with the temp a bit higher to help avoid any bacterial growth with some heat, but not enough to really get things cooking. I suppose I could do the same thing in the PBC, Have a few lit coals on one side to bring the temp up enough to stall growth.  If it's an 85° day you may as well hotter, seems the only option.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline 1Bigg_ER

I don't even use wood in my PBC.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline elsos

• Central Arizona
I have an AMNPS and just love it. Smoked all sorts of stuff with that burning in the background, but the PBC seems a little different than the vertical gasser I typically use, as it churns the smoke around for a longer period of time. I have added a pecan chunck to one PBC cook and I think it was just too much with the charcoal.
But you're talking about cold smoking, I think the PBC would be perfect for that, not adding any additional heat other than the tube.  I've smoked pork belly in a cardboard box with my AMNPS with wonderful results, so I think you will be happy. Just let us know your progress.   :D

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
I can't speak from experience because I've never tried using my A-maze-n Tube in my PBC, that being said, I think the PBC does such a great job used the way it was intended to be used, according the the videos on the PBC website, that no additional wood or other gadgetry would be necessary. Just M2C!!!
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)