Author Topic: Food is on, trial run in motion!  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Food is on, trial run in motion!
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
So far it seems to be cruising right at 250° at the 9 min mark.  It was up to about 256 for a min. It's about 40° out here right now.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Food is on, trial run in motion!
« on: January 16, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Looking forward to this cook!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
Hanging around 245 now. I may need to slightly open the vent. I was very conservative with it because I didn't want to get it too hot. For now I'll let it be I guess. If it drops lower than 140 I guess I'll open it a tad.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »
235 already! Guess I'll open the vent some. Hoping I lit it well enough. Used a chimney with 40 coals.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »
Opened it a hair at 17:30 and 233°. Let see if it starts going up. If not I may start to panic. Lol. I know these are supposed to run a little hotter than normal. Like the 260 range right?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
33 min in, 245° but it's been hovering around 238 a lot. Hopefully it's working its way up some.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »
Steady 253-254° for about 10 min now I guess.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:27:33 PM »
Don't get offended but stop it! :P

That cooker works great from 235F to 325F

There is no "set" temperature. Let it do it's work.

If you find it is taking longer to cook than you want to you can open it a quarter.

It takes a long time between adjustments for temps to stabilize. You are going to go crazy trying to figure out temps this way.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »
LOL!
Yeah I'm trying to let it stress me out. Right now I'm at 1:40 and stable at 267° For a while.  I'm letting it do its thing. Going to pop the lid for the first time at 2 hours and see what kind of mess I've made.
What temp should the thick part of the chicken breast be? It's a small chicken but I didn't split it. Left it whole like a turkey.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
Gotta pile it on. When I first got my PBC, I drove Noah so nutty, he offered to fly to Los Angeles to show how me how to use the PBC without all the temp probes I had hooked up to it  :D

Just set your vent, let your coals get lit good, hang your meat, and take it easy  8) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Food is on, trial run in motion!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »

LOL!
Yeah I'm trying to let it stress me out. Right now I'm at 1:40 and stable at 267° For a while.  I'm letting it do its thing. Going to pop the lid for the first time at 2 hours and see what kind of mess I've made.
What temp should the thick part of the chicken breast be? It's a small chicken but I didn't split it. Left it whole like a turkey.

Go for 160 degrees in the deepest part of the breast
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
Gotta pile it on. When I first got my PBC, I drove Noah so nutty, he offered to fly to Los Angeles to show how me how to use the PBC without all the temp probes I had hooked up to it  :D

Just set your vent, let your coals get lit good, hang your meat, and take it easy 8) :)

There's the best advice ever on the PBC. I've never put a thermometer inside my PBC, just followed the instructions from their videos and every thing I've cooked in it has turned out good.   I have probed the meat I'm cooking with my Thermapen, to check for the IT I'm aiming for, and that's it.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »
Is the chicken typically a little pink out of this thing or am I not done yet? Regardless, I probed over 160 and it tastes RIDICULOUS good. It's almost stupid how good this tastes for what was done to it. Should I stop eating it? Lol I'm such a newb and such a second guesser.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 06:34:07 PM »
Breast meat is white but the legs and stuff seem pinkish tinted instead of dark like i would expect.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »
Is the chicken typically a little pink out of this thing or am I not done yet? Regardless, I probed over 160 and it tastes RIDICULOUS good. It's almost stupid how good this tastes for what was done to it. Should I stop eating it? Lol I'm such a newb and such a second guesser.

The pinkish color of the dark meat is typical when smoked like that in the PBC, as long as the dark meat IT is 175F degrees its done.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)