Author Topic: Food is on, trial run in motion!  (Read 5525 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Food is on, trial run in motion!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »
Gotta pile it on. When I first got my PBC, I drove Noah so nutty, he offered to fly to Los Angeles to show how me how to use the PBC without all the temp probes I had hooked up to it  :D

Just set your vent, let your coals get lit good, hang your meat, and take it easy 8) :)

There's the best advice ever on the PBC. I've never put a thermometer inside my PBC, just followed the instructions from their videos and every thing I've cooked in it has turned out good.   I have probed the meat I'm cooking with my Thermapen, to check for the IT I'm aiming for, and that's it.

LOL - I am the same. There are several people here that have great therms for checking the temp of he unit - heck they have apps for checking from their office..  ;) ;D ;D I was never a temp checking guy. I respect what they do (and rely on it) but one of the reasons I went with the PBC was it's "set it and forget it" reputation.

It has never let me down - yes on cold windy days or in the dead of winter, things might take a bit longer, but it is always pretty close.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:19 PM »
Chicken was amazing. The butt is looking more like a huge steak at the moment.  I won't be upset if it tastes like one either.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Pappymn

Food is on, trial run in motion!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
Got any pics?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
Yes but apparently you can't just post a pic. You need photobucket?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
5 hours on the butt, sitting at 158 IT
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 11:56:54 PM »
Just shy of 8 hours it seemed to be stuck at 174 and the cooker is starting to cool. 34° outside so I'm not surprised it's had some trouble keeping hot. Just moved it to a pan and wrapped it in foil and put in the oven at 350 to finish.
The chicken had incredible flavor for being so simple.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline elsos

• Central Arizona
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 06:07:18 AM »
Just shy of 8 hours it seemed to be stuck at 174 and the cooker is starting to cool. 34° outside so I'm not surprised it's had some trouble keeping hot. Just moved it to a pan and wrapped it in foil and put in the oven at 350 to finish.

And??  How did it come out? That must have been a pretty good stall. I want to do a butt on the PBC still. Just not sure how long it will hang without falling off.  Maybe I can put a safety rack above the coals and below the meat.

I've only cooked turkey breast, baby backs, chicken halves, wings and burgers on it. Still learning how to make the best use of it, and I don't use a temp probe anymore because of it driving me crazy!
Adding extra smoke beyond the charcoal to birds didn't work out, by the way. I love lots of smoke, but not over smoked. :)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »

And??  How did it come out? That must have been a pretty good stall. I want to do a butt on the PBC still. Just not sure how long it will hang without falling off.  Maybe I can put a safety rack above the coals and below the meat.

I've only cooked turkey breast, baby backs, chicken halves, wings and burgers on it. Still learning how to make the best use of it, and I don't use a temp probe anymore because of it driving me crazy!
Adding extra smoke beyond the charcoal to birds didn't work out, by the way. I love lots of smoke, but not over smoked. :)

That would be a great mod to the PBC, hopefully Noah and Amber are reading this.  All it would take is the addition of three more tabs, that the grate rests on, lower in the PBC.  Then you can rest the grate just above the charcoal basket and in the event any meat should happen to fall off the hooks would not fall in the charcoal basket.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 03:26:32 PM »
I don't think it is necessary to hang a butt, given its awkward shape. Should cook just as well on the grate.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:05 AM »
I don't know how to get pics on here. It's not as easy is pick one and upload it from my phone.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch