Author Topic: Thinking about hanging some chicken quarters and a couple bone in breasts today  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Paul Hart

How long would you guys think? Hour or so?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
for chicken pcs, yeah, I would check temps after an hour and take it from there.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Paul Hart

Where should I probe chicken leg quarters at? I put the hook under where the leg and other piece meet. I'm hoping that holds lol.  Got 9 pretty large chicken quarters (10 lbs) for $6.90. I feel like that's a deal. Put 7 on, sprinkled skin and under the skin with the PBC all purpose rub. Can't wait!
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

Man I oribed them several places and got a plenty hot reading, but had some blood in some of it. Doesn't seem right. I just can't ever get comfortable with chicken.  :(
I put two more on. Had the lid open for a bit so it's running pretty hot, like 305.  Gonna see how these two go at a hotter temp than the first batch.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
I just can't ever get comfortable with chicken.  :(

I'm with you, Paul.  I leave chicken cooking a bit longer that the typical 165°F white meat and 175°F dark meat.  My Thermapen is spot on so I think that when I avoid the bone when I probe (I've been told to do that) the chicken is undercooked near the bone.  Go another 5 to 10 degrees and see what it's like near the bone.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Pappymn

Pink by the bone does not mean it is under cooked. Take a look at the article from amazing ribs.com.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_chicken_is_done_when_juices_run_clear.html
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
I'm with Pappy... I look for clear juices
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.

Offline Pappymn

I'm with Pappy... I look for clear juices

Well that's not exactly what the article says.......8)
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Clear juices are the best measure. As long as they run clear your good.

PBC cooked chicken as with a smoker can get a pinkish color to the meat. This is normal.

And there can be color at the bone and still have properly cooked chicken.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
I have always over-cooked chicken a bit and I think I always will.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
My probe placed to avoid the bone will also be avoiding the meat closest to the bone.  Since my grilled chicken heats from the outside in I might have meat in the thigh that is 175° F but the meat closest to the bone hasn't gotten there yet.

Having said that, I believe that pink meat near the bone does not necessarily mean that it's undercooked or dangerous, but it could mean that.  And, we eat with our eyes first.  So I don't introduce a variable that is off-putting for some, including me, when it's easily avoided.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline 1Bigg_ER

I have had my fair share of pink at the bone chicken off grills. That is something that's engraved in our very DNA but it's nothing to fear if the temp probe says >160.

DISCLAIMER This just me.
I do breast 150 and other parts 165.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline aliengriller

Thanks, Pappy, for that link, although I had read it on that site.   NOW, I still have to convince my bride the chicken is DONE--she just freaks when she sees the pink near the bones.    Same way with pork--cannot convince her it is done enough at 145--not cooked until it is SO dry.   Keep hoping she will change, but ain't holding my breath!

Offline Pappymn

Thanks, Pappy, for that link, although I had read it on that site.   NOW, I still have to convince my bride the chicken is DONE--she just freaks when she sees the pink near the bones.    Same way with pork--cannot convince her it is done enough at 145--not cooked until it is SO dry.   Keep hoping she will change, but ain't holding my breath!

I have the same issue with my wife and poultry. Got her fixed on pork though.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Thanks for the link, Pappy. Guess I will stick with my Thermopen.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #