Author Topic: An idea combining PBC and tube smoker  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Paul Hart

An idea combining PBC and tube smoker
« Reply #-1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
Tell me what you think.
Here's a possible plan. Fill the basket level. Remove the 40 coals, but light only 20 in the chimney. Get an A-maz-en tube smoker lit (the short one) and then dump all the lit coals on ONE side of the basket only. Put the tube smoker away from the lit charcoals on the other side. Hang ribs, put on the lid.
I'm hoping for lower heat for a little bit and enough time to get some wood smoke going really nice. 45 min maybe? And then lighting the other 20 and dumping them in on the other side and starting to the full on cook. How fast will the lit ones light and work their way around the basket?

Or...

How long could I safely let the ribs hang with an unlit charcoal basket and just a lit tube? I'm betting I could go an hour or so at least (maybe 90 min?) because they are about to get hit with hours of high heat anyway, so any surface bacteria that may bloom during the cold smoke period should be sent packing within a short bit anyay. Right?

I'm going to attempt a cold smoke with the tube of some cheddar and mozzerella cheese and some sea salt with apple wood in the PBC here soon. Wish me luck. Wonder if I could hang hard cheeses? Ha! I think itll work!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:40:40 PM by TentHunteR »
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: An idea combining PBC and tube smoker
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:41:01 AM »
It will cold smoke fine but using it for cooking in the PBC is not advisable IMHO.

Just wrap a small chunk of wood in foil with one hole poked in it(Cliff's advice) and place in the coal bed.

Should give you some nice smoke.

Your better off switching to lump charcoal IMHO but there is a learning curve to it. Lump burns differently and hotter.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
If you insist on adding smoke, start with a single chunk buried directly under where most of your lit coals will land.
Do not place it above the lit coals, it will smolder and produce nasty smoke.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:21:56 AM »
Good suggestions here already.  The PBC is not designed for white smoke production at all.  If you must oversmoke, seek a different device.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:52:25 AM »
Good suggestions here already.  The PBC is not designed for white smoke production at all.  If you must oversmoke, seek a different device.

Hub

I agree with Hub on this one, look into a WSM by Weber you can get it to smoke as much or as little as you want depending on how many wood chunks are added to the coals.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 08:38:18 AM »
The PBC is not a smoker. You will get "charcoal pit" flavor - which can be as good - as wood smoke - depending on your taste preference. It is really considered a "power cooker" - and designed to operate above the true smoking temps, but below the temps we prefer to gill. It really has it's own unique place in your arsenal.

You could add a chunk of wood as described above - but, most of us have tried it - and not found it beneficial in added flavor.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401