Author Topic: Bought a choice Chuck roast this morning. Advise?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Bought a choice Chuck roast this morning. Advise?
« Reply #-1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:01:46 AM »
It's only 2 1/2 lbs so it's not real big. Still wasn't cheap. I picked up a bottle of KC Masterpiece bbq rub just because it seemed interesting and I could detect a little bit of a good smell through the lid. It has some sugar, which I wanted a little of just to help get a bark on it. I opened the KC and tasted it in my palm. Not bad. Tasted the PBC beef rub a moment later. Both good but the KC had less salt flavor  and a little sugar so I went with that and sprinkled it all over both sides and gave it a rub, wrapped it up and put it back in the fridge until I wake up later. (Assuming I sleep at all)
They didn't have any other stuff to throw in there this morning except baby backs and they were way too expensive. So I googled "smoking a Chuck roast" and turns out people do it all the time and often slice it like a brisket. Looks pretty much like brisket too. I'm assuming I'll have to go to 205 to really get it tender but I'm hoping for a nice dark bark when she's done.
Any ideas are appreciated. I'm guessing if I get the PBC started and hanging around 260 that I'll have 3 hours in it?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

Re: Bought a choice Chuck roast this morning. Advise?
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »
Look how this one turned out for this guy. Looks amazing. How does one go about making "burnt ends" is that a process? I always assumed it was just the ends that got a little charred and cut off when it was pulled. Guess I'm wrong.

PLEASE ...read this link   http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7943.0

What *IS* allowed and, appropriate - is to give credit to the other forum or author without posting the complete link, and post the information itself here. There are several reasons for this, and - not of our making at LTBBQ.
But, the upshot is that if we can all work on this together - we can continue to build LTBBQ's knowledge availability here - rather than another forum, or blog.
No foul committed folks, just additional learning for all of us (there were some things brought to my attention by folks from other forums :-[ ) about the rules of the "decorum" on the internet
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:37:43 AM by teesquare »
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:31:21 AM »
Burnt ends is a process, normally made from the point of a whole brisket, after the brisket hits its desired IT the point is separated from the flat and the point is returned to the smoker for additional cooking to create the burnt ends.  There are various different techniques to this method but that is the basic way to make burnt ends.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »
This is a good starting point, submitted by our own Ph. B.

Since you have a much smaller roast, the times would probably be significantly shorter. 

I've followed this same basic technique with good results.  In fact, it's now one of my family's favorites.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
Whenever I get a chuck roast I break out one of BBQ's greatest recipes:   Wolfes Pepper Stout Beef

http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »
Thanks, Smoke.  That's a good way to go as well!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
Whenever I get a chuck roast I break out one of BBQ's greatest recipes:   Wolfes Pepper Stout Beef

Looks killer, will have to try that along with a 6 pack of Guinness, 1 for the recipe and 5 for me.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »

I have made this and it is soooo good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
Hey important question here... Will the sugar in the rub actually burn in the PBC if put on too soon? I'm getting ready to fire it up (didn't sleep well or long) and I'm starting to overthink again. I can try rubbing a lot of it back off if anyone thinks I should. Use some PBC rub instead until later in the cool and then more of the KC. 
Going to check that recipe there out.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Also noticed that guy mentioned wrapping at some point. Think that's neccesary in the PBC?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 01:30:28 PM »
I got  a big chuckie and cut it in pieces and froze..pulled one out today and making beef veggies soup..Smells heavenly cooking. Love chuckies.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
Hey important question here... Will the sugar in the rub actually burn in the PBC if put on too soon? I'm getting ready to fire it up (didn't sleep well or long) and I'm starting to overthink again. I can try rubbing a lot of it back off if anyone thinks I should. Use some PBC rub instead until later in the cool and then more of the KC. 
Going to check that recipe there out.

IMHO.....I'd stick with the KC rub all the way and get a nice bark with it.
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
Also noticed that guy mentioned wrapping at some point. Think that's neccesary in the PBC?

If your want to get through the stall and shorten the cooking time then yes, but wrapping does take away some of the bark too.
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »
I got  a big chuckie and cut it in pieces and froze..pulled one out today and making beef veggies soup..Smells heavenly cooking. Love chuckies.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Sounds delicious Pam, can't wait to see how it turns out. ;)
----------------------

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 02:30:05 PM »
That's what I'll do then, Cajun! Cruisin along at 277. Had snow cover still at 1:45. At 2:15 it was all gone. That was quick.
Anyway....Wish me luck!
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch