Author Topic: Chicken skin and bbq sauce question  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Chicken skin and bbq sauce question
« Reply #-1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:04:01 AM »
My chicken so far has been magazine cover material, but the skin has been tough and chewey. I've seen many of you write that leaving a rebar out during the cook and cracking or even taking the lid off for the last 5 minutes will crisp it up nicely. Next question pertains to the first... I like some carmelized bbq sauce on my chicken. Will brushing it with bbq sauce at the end prevent it from crisping? Tips, tricks and suggestions please
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Chicken skin and bbq sauce question
« on: January 28, 2015, 06:38:59 AM »
Yes it will unless the skin is already crisp before applying the sauce. But even then the sauce will soften the skin some again.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:53:36 AM »
Yes it will unless the skin is already crisp before applying the sauce. But even then the sauce will soften the skin some again.

Muebe nailed it.  Sauce "rehydrates" to a degree and is a mixed blessing because the sugars can flat out burn instead of "caramelizing" or setting properly in the heat.  Sauce is best viewed as a flavor component and is carefully added in the very last stages of cooking. 

Some meats take well to saucing while cooking (ribs, for instance) but others do better when the sauce is added following cooking and even as an option.  Skin-on chicken reacts to sauce in sometimes unpredictable ways.  Suggestion:  Try the prior suggestions about skin crisping or tenderizing and serve the sauce on the side.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
And spend the time air drying the chicken overnight in the fridge with the skin salted to draw out the excess moisture. This will help you get crispy skin. Do not rinse after doing this. Adding moisture to the skin will rehydrate it again. Same with using sauce.

The reason why the PBC churns out such moist and juicy chicken is due to the high humidity level created in the cooker. This however is counterproductive when trying to achieve crispy skin.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »
What Hub said, serve the sauce on the side.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »
Thanks guys. Bummer.
I have some skinless boneless chicken breasts in the freezer. Wonder how those would do on hooks? Anyone ever tried?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
Thanks guys. Bummer.
I have some skinless boneless chicken breasts in the freezer. Wonder how those would do on hooks? Anyone ever tried?

Never tried hanging chicken breast alone, would be interesting to see how that turns out.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »
I would just set the chix breasts on the grate............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »

Yup, it is in the right spot for the best cook.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:54:31 PM »

Yup, it is in the right spot for the best cook.

I agree with the grate option too.  The problem I see with hanging S/B chicken breasts is that they lack the fat necessary to drip on the charcoals to create the fog that the PBC famous for.
----------------------

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:41:58 AM »
Place them direct on the grate and layer bacon on top of them. The grease from the bacon will create the moist environment.

And if you want to be healthy you don't have to eat the bacon but who the does that? :o
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
Place them direct on the grate and layer bacon on top of them. The grease from the bacon will create the moist environment.

And if you want to be healthy you don't have to eat the bacon but who the does that? :o

You could use the bacon to make a Cobb salad, that would be healthy wouldn't it? :P
----------------------

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Anything green cancels out anything bad. Well know fact.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »
Anything green cancels out anything bad. Well know fact.

And that's why we should all be eating peas with our ribs.  :P
----------------------