Author Topic: First real rib cook haunted by cold weather and RAIN! Ugh  (Read 3493 times)

Offline Paul Hart

First real rib cook haunted by cold weather and RAIN! Ugh
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:00:13 AM »
Yeah started raining about 3 hours in and I was already having trouble keeping the temp up tonight. (Yes it's 5am and I'm about to pull ribs out of the cooker. What? )
As soon as the cold rain started hitting it the temp dropped hard and fast. I added 12 lit charcoals and got it up for a few min but that didn't really do it either. So I'm finishing the cook at around 200°, and that's with one rebar out. Rain definitely saps the heat.
They look and smell incredible though!
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

Re: First real rib cook haunted by cold weather and RAIN! Ugh
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:02:24 AM »
217°. That's not too bad, Within normal low and slow range. I want fast to the plate at this point though. I'm starving. Lol
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:24:53 AM »
The first time I used the PBC it was 38F and raining.  I didn't run temps mainly because I would be OCD about keeping the right temperature. I just kept and eye on time and then amount of smoke.  Just lit the coals with the chimney, then once hot poured them over the coal int he basket and let catch for 5 minutes without the lid then hung the ribs  then hung the chicken 2 hours later.  Total cook time was 3 1/2 hours.  I did crack the vent to be 1/3 open instead of 1/4 but I had both bars in and used KBB. You might just need to wait a little long before hanging the meat.  I am no expert since I have only got the PBC this Christmas.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:13:57 AM »
I pulled them and started eating. First rack was a little tough still so I out half of it and the other rack back on. Rain stopped and temp shot way back up. I used Meatheads Memphis dust recipe and finished it off the Stubbs bbq sauce and holy hell, they are incredible. Just a little tough yet. Hoping I can get em done all the way and not burn them. I put more Stubbs on. Lol
But that bark, man, sooooo good
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:00:30 AM »
I pulled them and started eating. First rack was a little tough still so I out half of it and the other rack back on. Rain stopped and temp shot way back up. I used Meatheads Memphis dust recipe and finished it off the Stubbs bbq sauce and holy hell, they are incredible. Just a little tough yet. Hoping I can get em done all the way and not burn them. I put more Stubbs on. Lol
But that bark, man, sooooo good

The toughness is probably an indication that they needed more time in the cooker. If the weather fights you too much, never feel bad about finishing them by wrapping in foil, and pop them in the oven for an hour ( more if needed) at 225 -275F.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »
Cooker temp came up to about 300 range when the rain stopped and with the rebar out. I re-sauced and put them back in for about 25 min. I think that did the trick, more exposed bone and the sauce was perfect looking. That is a delicious rub recipe when mixed with the Stubbs. Some magic happens about 3 hours in.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
Cooker temp came up to about 300 range when the rain stopped and with the rebar out. I re-sauced and put them back in for about 25 min. I think that did the trick, more exposed bone and the sauce was perfect looking. That is a delicious rub recipe when mixed with the Stubbs. Some magic happens about 3 hours in.

Got any pictures? ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »
I do but I haven't figured out how to just post one from my phone yet. I didnt try very hard lol
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
We have  number of informative threads for helping folks post pics. If you need....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »
We have  number of informative threads for helping folks post pics. If you need....

Dee would be very happy to help out with how to post pictures.  :P
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
There is no shame in my game when it comes to using the oven. After a couple of hours you have enough smoke flavor anyhows.....let the oven do the heavy lifting after that and save on fuel...... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

TQB

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »
There is no shame in my game when it comes to using the oven. After a couple of hours you have enough smoke flavor anyhows.....let the oven do the heavy lifting after that and save on fuel...... :)

Thats something I have always thought about but never done when using the Pellet Grill. Doing the low slow part in it, then if I decide to crank it up at the end to finish it off quick just throw it in the oven instead of cranking the grill and wasting pellets for something a oven would do just as good.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »

Thats something I have always thought about but never done when using the Pellet Grill. Doing the low slow part in it, then if I decide to crank it up at the end to finish it off quick just throw it in the oven instead of cranking the grill and wasting pellets for something a oven would do just as good.

Nothing wrong with that, given the costs of pellets it makes good economic sense to do it that way.  ;)
----------------------