Author Topic: PBC Chicken  (Read 9058 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: PBC Chicken
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
IMHO the Big Easy chicken I make comes in a close second but the PBC chicken is better. The PBC is my goto chicken cooker.

I have to agree - when I want to make the whole chicken. But, I still like my SRG best for wings - dead easy and always perfect (well after a few charcoal lumps.... ::) ::) ::)) I think it is because the skin just gets a bit more crispy and I am going to use a sauce - so the charcoal flavor is not a big deal. But on a whole bird - can't beat the PBC!

I don't have the SRG, but my TBE and BEESR were my favorite for wings, until the PBC. I found the skin gets crispier and I love the combination grill/smoke effect. I've actually prefer them dry now. I just salt, pepper, garlic powder, and add a touch of Habanero Death Dust. I'll toss them if someone else wants them sauced.

Maybe I wasn't doing them quite right in TBE???

That sounds great, gotta go get me some of that Habanero Death Dust.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
VERY NICE!!!!  Great color - can almost smell it from here.  I only see one problem with the PBC's - I WANT ONE!!!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »
VERY NICE!!!!  Great color - can almost smell it from here.  I only see one problem with the PBC's - I WANT ONE!!!

A PBC is just one click away on the link near the top of the page.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline DonR9

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 01:27:14 AM »
Freezing extra BBQ'd chicken sounds intriguing. I have a vacuum sealer. What's the trick? Vacuum seal right away? Let the chicken cool?  Doesn't the vacuuming process compress the now cooked and thus softened bird!
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 02:25:42 AM »
Freezing extra BBQ'd chicken sounds intriguing. I have a vacuum sealer. What's the trick? Vacuum seal right away? Let the chicken cool?  Doesn't the vacuuming process compress the now cooked and thus softened bird!

I vacuum seal it as soon as it comes out of the cooker, it keeps the moisture in the bird and no it will not compress the cooked bird at all.  Once reheated the only difference between the fresh cooked bird and reheated vacuum sealed is the reheated vacuum sealed no longer has crispy skin. 
----------------------

Offline suerapp

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
Cajun, how do you reheat it? I have a problem getting it hot enough without drying it out

Offline DonR9

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2014, 11:38:18 AM »
Maybe put it in a very low temp oven, after defrosting, for 30 minutes or so? Or, for the extremely well equipped kitchen, sous vide?
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
Cajun, how do you reheat it? I have a problem getting it hot enough without drying it out

Maybe put it in a very low temp oven, after defrosting, for 30 minutes or so? Or, for the extremely well equipped kitchen, sous vide?

That's exactly what I do now, I use my sous vide to reheat it.  Set the temp to 145F and let it ride in the hot tub for 45-60 minutes, this is for 1/2 chicken.

Before I got my sous vide I would place the thawed and still vacuumed sealed chicken half in a pot of cold water and bring it to a boil.  Once it started boiling I'd let it ride for about 10 minutes boiling then turn the heat off and let it sit in the hot water for 15 minutes before serving.
----------------------