Author Topic: St. Louis Ribs  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
St. Louis Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »
Did four racks of St. Louis ribs in the PBC today, although they turned out pretty good I think I need some more practice with this one.  Followed the video instructions on the PBC website with only two exceptions, 1) coated the ribs with mustard in addition to the PBC Beef & Game Pit Rub, 2) did not sauce the ribs with any BBQ sauce.

The ribs were done in just a little over two hours, no where near the five hours the video said it takes for St. Louis ribs.  I realize the video cooking was done at mile high 5280' and I'm at 1800' MSL.  I did have the vent cap at 1/4 opening as per the directions for altitudes up to 2000' MSL.

The pros: Ribs were very tender and pulled off the bone just as they should, flavor was fantastic, loved the charcoal flavor from the cook combined with their Beef & Game Pit Rub.

The cons: Ribs were not quite a moist as when I do them on the pellet grill, although not bad, but I do get a little more moisture out of my ribs on the pellet grill.  This may be due to the fact that on the pellet grill I spritz them with moisture throughout the cooking process and did not do this on the PBC.  Also the bottom 2-3 bones were overdone and dry, not even edible.  I know that can be solved by cutting the racks in half so they won't hang so low to the fire.

Overall my satisfaction of my first ribs in the PBC is still good, I just need to get through the learning curve on ribs which is part of the joy of cooking and trying new methods.  I'm also finding out, after two cooks in the PBC, that this thing is a charcoal eating hog.  There is no way to shut it down to conserve the unburned charcoal for the next cook like I do on my Weber's.  This means if I want to maximize the use of the charcoal I need to plan on cooking more food and putting it away for future use.

I'm still satisfied with my purchase of the PBC and it will be a cooker that will get a lot of use.  I just need to adapt to the way this thing works and burns fuel.

Ribs seasoned, hooks installed, ready for the PBC

Hanging in the PBC

Pulled from PBC after just over two hours

The smoke ring

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: St. Louis Ribs
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »
they look pretty good from here.  nice rib cook partner.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
Those look real good from here too Ralph!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »
Forget those PBC videos, do it your way, become one with your PBC.
Play with it on your first few cooks. You'll realize that most of the official PBC cooking times are way off due to the elevation difference.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:49:03 PM »
Looks good,here ribs take three hours so Bigg is correct.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »
The ribs look great!

There are people who choke off the air to the PBC to save the leftover charcoal.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:18:51 PM »
The ribs look great!

There are people who choke off the air to the PBC to save the leftover charcoal.

I imagine the way it's done is to stuff the holes with something like foil to chose it off, I'll have to give it a try.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:24:01 PM »
Makes me want to do ribs they look so good

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:27:56 PM »
Play with it on your first few cooks. You'll realize that most of the official PBC cooking times are way off due to the elevation difference.

I realize that the cooking times would be different due to variations in elevation, even the video says that.  I'm surprised at how much of a difference there was between mile high Colorado and 1800' Nevada.   They took nearly five hours, mine were done in just a little over two hours, nearly a three hour difference is way more than I expected.   I would like for the ribs to cook a a little slower than that, I may close the vent a little more on the next round and see how that works.
----------------------

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 04:13:44 AM »
Nice looking bones.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »

I realize that the cooking times would be different due to variations in elevation, even the video says that.  I'm surprised at how much of a difference there was between mile high Colorado and 1800' Nevada.   They took nearly five hours, mine were done in just a little over two hours, nearly a three hour difference is way more than I expected.   I would like for the ribs to cook a a little slower than that, I may close the vent a little more on the next round and see how that works.

I actually picked up the difference on my very first cook.

As for choking the PBC, I use HD foil to choke the holes. Even though I don't reuse the coals, I do it to put the coals fast.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
I don't know, look good but not sure.

Send me a rack and I'll let you know how ya' did.  ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
I don't know, look good but not sure.

Send me a rack and I'll let you know how ya' did.  ;) ;) ;)

DEAL!!!  You send me a butt and I'll send you a rack.  :P
----------------------

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
Firing up PBC now for ribs....
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Firing up PBC now for ribs....

Cool, looking forward to seeing those bones when they are done.  ;)
----------------------