Author Topic: NEW INFO ABOUT LTBBQ....MUST READ  (Read 70018 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
NEW INFO ABOUT LTBBQ....MUST READ
« Reply #-1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
Please read this. It is vital to the health and well-being of Let's Talk BBQ. There are 2 topics - and I will keep it brief, but try to explain the "whys" as I go. You may respond to this thread openly here, or to me via PM if you have any questions.

It is probably no news to anyone here that we have been growing in numbers. A lot of fine cooks, and a lot of new folks that are eager to learn, as we all should be regardless of skill level.

We have controlled the growth of LTBBQ by various means. And this is with purpose. Just for the sake of any that do not know WHY there is a Lets Talk BBQ - lets review:
The internet is rife with forums. But, all too often their exists a prevalent "attitude" on many of them. And - others are over-run with spammers. Others still are not "family friendly" - and our spouses or friends might not be comfortable in those environs.
As we continue to grow we need to reflect upon what brought us to the point we are at: "a fun, friendly, family community built around a mutual love of all things food and cooking related" Notice the use of the word community as it is different from "discussion forums". We take it seriously that there is a feeling here on LTBBQ that you have been invited to a big backyard BBQ - where everyone here are friends, and their ore NO hidden agendas, "teams" or cliques. Everyone is expected to show mutual courtesy and respect. We wanted a forum that is user driven, and led with quality content. One that is not a mouthpiece for a manufacturer. Yes, we have sponsors - but they adhere to our rules and philosophies of honest, legitimate, respectful discussions about all products.

To the point:

1. Why we avoid religion, politics and sexual innuendo. It literally causes us to look smaller minded and purposed than we intend. There are times we have pushed beyond what is reasonable "mixed company" talk  - and unfortunately those threads have to be removed. We want LTBBQ to be a place that can be respected by the membership, their families and friends, and lurkers alike.
Before you post something, remember: that when you post it on an internet forum, it is analogous to taking out an ad in your local paper - and then the Associated Press pick it up and publishes it around the world. SO - if you have something that falls into any of the categories we want to avoid - please use the e-mail, or Private Message function to send it to specifically those folks that you know will not be offended. Heck - we even installed chat rooms for private conversations - if you like. No one need walk on eggshells, we are not prudes.In fact - some of you have received e-mails or PM's from me that clearly - I have the ability to be inappropriate  ;D! But - that is done PRIVATELY.  Again we desire to be seen as a place that any reasonable person can come to and not be insulted, offended or embarrassed. We can't please everyone all of the time - but we want to strike a fair balance here. There will always be judgement calls that the Admins. and Moderators must make - and that is their responsibility. It is not a personal power trip. We are here to HELP you and protect the forum, period.

2. About that "fun, family friendly community"... Part of what makes such is the understanding of the element of mutual respect. We treat everyone - from the folks that are here seeking advice before striking their first match to light a fire -to the folks that have written books, and are "known" personalities in the world of BBQ and or other cooking ( yes we do have some of those... ;)) with respect and friendship.
There has been a trend among some members to create a "photo dump" thread. A photo dump is a thread of pictures without sufficient text  to support the pictures as something repeatable by others. It is not a thread with the idea of sharing your skills, recipe or techniques. It is one that comes across as a "Hey! - look at me! Look what I did!" And, it's not o.k. to just say " e-mail me for details". That is disrespectful of those that take a few minutes to post a nice group of pictures - with relevant text including a recipe or cooking description. Those threads do not exemplify a desire to engage here as a person that likes to share. That attitude - or appearance of - is incongruent with LTBBQ's reason for existence. We come here to share, and learn from each other. SO - those threads may be deleted.
Another reason we need to not post in that manner - is because that type of photo dump thread also put us in breach of our user agreement with our hosting service. I have had conversation with the hosting service, and they have been agreeable to allowing us posting multiple photos about cooking as long as the text content is supportive/germane to the photos. In addition: Photos need to be embedded - NOT attachments.... Attachments eat up our storage and bandwidth - ultimately slowing down the forum. We will be regularly deleting attached photos, so - if you have a thread with attached photos, pleas replace it with one that is embedded. Those are hosted on a service such as Photobucket, Flickr - or any other that you use.

Lastly - YOU are valued as a member here. This thread is not to discourage posting, and we LOVE pictures. We merely ask that the focus remain on continuing to improve the quality of content. DO not confuse this with a criticism of anyone cooking. It absolutely is NOT that. It is to keep us growing in quality. The quantity ( membership) will come from that. People are always looking for a place like YOU have created by your input and friendliness.

All comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:25:04 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: NEW INFO ABOUT LTBBQ....MUST READ
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
I have been on many forums. I had to leave one forum because I scored on a pricing error (in my favor)on some Kingsford that I found out a few days later. I felt it was to late and shared my good luck on that forum and I was darn near getting death threats in my pm box.......I immediately notified the powers that be and had my account cancelled.

I was on one forum that had a couple of resident "superstars" that could post a thread about boiling water and they would have over 100 views and numerous ooh and aah posts.........I would go on with a real big cook and wouldn't get a hit...........left that one.......

The SOTG grill forum was over-run with spam and would be gone for days at a time...we all know what happened to that.

We are almost at 1000 members and we still have the feeling here of hanging around someones BBQ with a cold one in our hands talking about BBQ and More.....

So when we post....lets "talk" about BBQ and More. Share your tips and techniques, special methods,seasonings....it will all make us better outdoor cooks.....Old

Smoke can sure use the help  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »
Is the photo attached or embedded?

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 05:45:07 PM »
Well said Tim and Smoke! This is the BEST forum that I have been on and it is because of the "family" atmosphere here. For those people who want a place to "dump" photos, try
Flickr or Google Plus.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
We are NOT trying to discourage photos. Quite the opposite. We ARE trying to encourage photos that are appropriate to information in text that gives the reader an opportunity to duplicate the dish in the pictures

Simple dishes that are well executed basics - not such a big deal - but say something about what makes this dish unique - so folks can learn from it and keep us in good standing with our hosting service.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
It's a serious question.. I believe it is an attachment since I picked " attachement and other options" from the line below this box.
 I typically resize my photos and use this. Is that incorrect?

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
Is the photo attached or embedded?

It is attached (notice the paperclip icon)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »
Thanks Tent...

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
I know this isn't easy for you to talk about Tee but it is sometimes needed to keep this site running with the respect we all share for each other.

tlg, that is an attachment, but a dang good looking one.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:32 PM »
So..your saying I have to use a service to upload my photos to, before I post them here? .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »
Thanks Tee everyone once in a while we all need a little reminder. I get spanked at least a couple times a year ::)

I for one am Truely thankful for being invited and allowed to join LTBBQ & More ;D

Thank you, spasiba
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
I know this isn't easy for you to talk about Tee but it is sometimes needed to keep this site running with the respect we all share for each other.

tlg, that is an attachment, but a dang good looking one.

Thanks for recognizing RAD - but...hey it is all about making this place even better for ALL of us. I think of it this way: With all of the great cooking tips and recipes and advice I have received for my friends on LTBBQ - wouldn't I naturally want to reciprocate - and share some things I have discovered or tied that worked out well? Of course! That's really all there is to that part.

So..your saying I have to use a service to upload my photos to, before I post them here? .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

No, not exactly...I am saying that we have a finite amount of storage and bandwidth. When we use the "attachment" mode of posting a picture - that adds to the data on our system. Whereas - if you do use a hosting service - (where the photo is stored on a server other than ours ) it will be able to stay visible on LTBBQ - for as long as you have that acct. where you store your photos.
IF you choose to post it as an attachment - we will clean those off our server at least every 90 days, and - as we grow....more often in order to prevent slowing down the service you get from the server.
So, not a rule - but a strong suggestion that you use a cloud service or something to serve as internet accessible storage - so that your photos stay visible here. It is a growth problem. We should do this before it causes any crashes of the site.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 09:55:41 PM »
Well I remember a time on this forum when there were only a couple dozen members. We have now grown to a quality group of people. Slowly picking each brick and placing them individually creating a great foundation. We are a very tight knit group.

With that being said we do need to be careful about things we post that could be offensive or turn off new members. Search engines like Google grab key words and phrases. We could come up in a search for content nothing to do with cooking. And even after a thread is deleted if one of the spiders grabs the info it is still available in a search and the page might be save on the Google server.

As far as the photo dumping well I was not aware that the host had this policy. I don't mind the silent movie postings as I think they are fun. If anything maybe post the recipe/instructions I the recipe section with a link. That way we can enjoy the series of pictures and goto the recipe if needed.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
Thanks Tee everyone once in a while we all need a little reminder. I get spanked at least a couple times a year ::)

I for one am Truely thankful for being invited and allowed to join LTBBQ & More ;D

Thank you, spasiba

Drew - you are always welcome ( DOBRO POZALOVAT'  ;) )  We all just want to make our great place even better. My job is to clean up and assist...and sometimes "coach" ;D But my job is never to be be P.I.A. , policeman, judge, or "authoritarian". Not what I am here for, and further I can assure you that none of the Admins or Moderator are on a power trip. That is the furthest thing from anyone's mind.
It is YOU  - the members that make LTBBQ worthwhile. And, while we have to make some decisions without consulting the general memberships, there are no changes made based on ONE person's opinion or feelings.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »
Well I remember a time on this forum when there were only a couple dozen members. We have now grown to a quality group of people. Slowly picking each brick and placing them individually creating a great foundation. We are a very tight knit group.

With that being said we do need to be careful about things we post that could be offensive or turn off new members. Search engines like Google grab key words and phrases. We could come up in a search for content nothing to do with cooking. And even after a thread is deleted if one of the spiders grabs the info it is still available in a search and the page might be save on the Google server.

As far as the photo dumping well I was not aware that the host had this policy. I don't mind the silent movie postings as I think they are fun. If anything maybe post the recipe/instructions I the recipe section with a link. That way we can enjoy the series of pictures and goto the recipe if needed.

Yes - they are fun...for those of us that understand what is going on. But, as you pointed out we are much larger than a couple of dozen members now, and we owe it to newer members to make information as accessible  as possible. And, recipes should be in the post if possible, to keep someone from having to go elsewhere to find them. There are mitigating circumstances of course, but as a rule - post the recipe if you can.

The "silent movies" are o.k. if the are posts of things that are simple items that we have a lot of information about already ( like...ribs ;) ;D ) and I think all we could ask is - that if the poster tried something different than the ordinary - tell us what it was, and whether it was better, worse or just unique from the regular methods. It is about courtesy, respect and sharing. That is it. And...that stricly a string of photos is a photo dump ::) :) and I have defended us/negotiated with our hosting service due some that even I had posted. So - it is not a finger pointing at any one person, just timing - and some corrective steerage to help us stay on their good side. ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401