Author Topic: Saturday Night Pizza With My Uuni 2  (Read 7295 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Saturday Night Pizza With My Uuni 2
« Reply #-1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:40:25 PM »
Saturday night pizza made with garlic naan bread.  Brushed with some olive oil and dusted with garlic powder.  We like garlic!

Thin sliced pepperoni added to each bread.

Fresh sliced mozzarella added to the top of each piece.

The fire was a little hot, and I wasn’t watching as closely as I should.  Still tasted good, however.

The last one came out much better for color and doneness.

All-in-all, I would use naan bread again, but only in an emergency.  Next time I will make up Brad’s dough.  His dough recipe is spot on!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Re: Saturday Night Pizza With My Uuni 2
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:45:20 PM »
So how do u guys control the temp on these new Uuni ovens. On the old ones they had a sliding vent, is that still the same?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:47:48 PM »
Gee...Art - I think you need more pepperoni on those ::) ;D ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »
Make me one I'm on the way over!!!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 09:57:26 PM »
So how do u guys control the temp on these new Uuni ovens. On the old ones they had a sliding vent, is that still the same?

You control the temp by the height of the pellet feed tube. The higher it is the more pellets are fed into the hopper.

Art that pizza looks really good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
I still don't under stand??? So how do u know how much to add? It does look easier than the older ones but now u guys have me thinking. Oh that could be trouble in its self  ;)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »

No sliding vents.  Just keep the fire stoked and don't turn your back to drink your beer.  The fire gets really hot and you must check your pizza every 30 seconds or so to turn it.  We had some IR readings at the Fall Gathering in the 800-900 degree range.  If you don't let it get so hot, you still need to check the pizza so you don't get the "overly crispy crust" like I did on my first one.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:04:08 PM »
Like Muebe said, it all comes down to the length of the feed tube.  It was kind of trial and error, at first.  After seeing Muebe's picture of his feed tube and the burning pellets, I made a similar adjustment.  It is working much better, now. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:12:41 PM »
I still don't under stand??? So how do u know how much to add? It does look easier than the older ones but now u guys have me thinking. Oh that could be trouble in its self  ;)

Here is a picture of the hopper and feed tube...

The feed tube is circled. The retaining screw loosens and the tube slides up and down. If you raise it up the fire will be hotter due to more pellets can drop into the hopper. If you lower it the temp will be lower.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »
OK so that clears that up. From the video I saw the infra red temp guns around 500-600 degrees, might be wrong on this but that was the impression I got from the vid. Just trying to understand the new lay out on this cooker.
I guess u know that after experimenting with the original (Uuni 1) for one year I am not the best to give it praise and just wondering what improvements the Uuni 2 has to make it so much better than the Uuni 1.
I just made a home made pizza in my gasser tonight for me and my son with a 13 inch pizza stone. If I so desired I could have started up the A-MAZE-N smoker tube to give it that wood fired taste but we were hungry  :)
He ate darn near 2/3rd's of it. What I am saying is you don't need fancy cookers to make good pizza's.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
Those readings from the video were after we checked the temps earlier.  We had some really hot temps.  However, keeping those temps is not real easy.  The 500 to 600 degree range turns out to be easier to maintain (IMO) and is a good temp range to actually cook in.  It is more forgiving than the super hot temps.  You really have to be on your toes or you will scorch your pizza.  Also, there was NO ALCOHOL involved while cooking at the Fall Gathering.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »
Also, there was NO ALCOHOL involved while cooking at the Fall Gathering.
That just don't seem right when u travel so far on vacation at least it would have been for me not to have a drink of a adult beverage. I am sure just from watching the vid you all had fun with out the adult beverages and maybe saved a few fingers from getting cut. Not sure if I could sit by a camp fire and not have a beer or dozen  :P

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 11:54:50 PM »
To me a properly cooked wood fired pizza is a thinner crust pizza, slightly charred on top, dough has a hard outer crust but still slightly undercooked and chewy on the inside, and the slight taste of smoke.

IMHO the Uuni provides this type of pizza for me.

There is a learning curve to this cooker. It cooks very hot like a real pizza oven but unlike a pizza oven it requires more turning for a even cooked pizza. It took me a few pies to get my dough right and learn how to cook a pizza in this oven.

Here are some of my suggestions when using this oven...

After placing the pizza in the oven wait for one minute for the dough to set. Then rotate the pizza 1/4 turn every 30 seconds. Mine usually finish in around 4 to 5 minutes.

Make a thin crust. Thick crust pizzas do not come out as well at these high temperatures when cooked this way. Like cooking a pizza under the broiler in a 600+ degree oven.

And don't overload the pizza with a ton of toppings. Remember a light amount of toppings creates the best results in a oven like this.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 11:58:14 PM »
The second pizza looks spot on Art!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 12:29:11 AM »
Yes I agree it has a learning curve to this cooker, but unlike you I can not give this cooker a HI-FIVE as the best pizza cooker for the money they want for one. Here in Canada it's over 500 bucks just to get it over the border. I respect your reviews on this but mine are different than yours, hope you respect mine as well and I would not recommend this cooker to any of my friends. I'm sorry if that upsets you but that's how I feel. Where you live the weather stays very close to an even temp of 65-80 degrees where as where I live the temps are the same in the summer months but winter is so much different. -10-40 below zero. All I wanted to know was how he improved the pizza oven in the Uuni 2 compared to the Uuni 1 not what i am doing wrong cooking in it. When and if he becomes a sponsor maybe I can give him some praise. Sorry but I can just give this cooker a 1 + and that,s pushing it.