Author Topic: Cold Smoking with the Savannah Stoker  (Read 53834 times)

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

Cold Smoking with the Savannah Stoker
« Reply #-1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:43:22 AM »

Savannah Stoker How-to: Cold Smoking

Many of us use the A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker or similar smoke generating device to add a deeper level of smoke to our low-n-slow BBQ. We typically start our low-n-slow Que smoking in the 160-180° range then increasing the temperature to 225-275° after 4-6 hours to finish the cook. But 180° or even 160° (if your grill can hold this temperature) are too high to cold smoke items like fish and cheese. Of course you can use a smoke generator in the grill with it off, but the cooking chamber will quickly fill up with stale smoke. Stale smoke is not good smoke. What is needed is a very low speed fan to circular fresh air in the cooking chamber. Because of the open architecture of the Savannah Stoker V3 you can change some of the parameters to run just the fan at a very low speed. Remember after you change the parameters they have to be manually changed back for the grill to operate normally.

You may want to refer to Section 4.3 of the user’s manual for info on Display Mode 3 and Section 6 for information about the various operational parameters before proceeding. 

Turn the controller ON, Now press the SET key until the bottom display changes. You are now in Display Mode 3 where the parameters can be changed

You want to change the following parameters to these values.
IGn=0    Turns off the igniter.
OutL=0  Turns off the maintenance pellet feed.
OutH=0  Turns off the auger if OutL=0
FAnS=1 Sets the fan to a very low speed.

You’re ready to cold smoke.
Add your smoke generator.
Add your food
You can even add ice in a tray if needed.

When you are done, just change the above parameters back to their prior or default values for normal operation. 
IGn=130     
OutL=17   
OutH=80   
FAnS=3

Happy COLD Smokin’

Offline Djones26

Cold Smoking with the Savannah Stoker
« on: March 10, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »
When will the 3 start shipping. I'm anxious to get the new model as my 2 is acting up

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

Re: Cold Smoking with the Savannah Stoker
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »
Have been shipping version 3 of the controller for several weeks now.
If interested in purchasing, email me (savannahstoker@suddenlink.net) and I will send you a PayPal invoice or visit our Facebook page for more detailed information on the controller and how to order.