Author Topic: First cook  (Read 53198 times)

Offline PAR-TEE

First cook
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
Hi I'm going to try my first cook tomorrow with the ssv3 and I'm looking for any advice, tips, tricks anyone has that might make it the best ribs I've ever made.

The menu is St. Louis cut ribs and beans in the cast iron dutch oven.

I think I'm going to set it at 225 with the fan on medium and just let the smoke roll for about 5 hrs but if there is another setting that may work better I'm open to trying something new.

Thanks
Happy Memorial Day.
Jim

Traeger Texas Grill 075 with SSV3

Offline Hub

Re: First cook
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
I think the best thing to do for the first cook with the SS is to just let it do its thing.  You have lots of control with it but it is pretty smart by itself.  Use this cook as a baseline and move in the direction you want it to go (if any different) later.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline PAR-TEE

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:38:38 PM »
Thanks Hub, I think that sounds like a good plan. I don't know why I just have a constant urge to tinker with stuff, but I suppose its best to have a solid baseline to work with.

Thanks
Have a good Memorial Day.
Jim

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »
PAR-TEE, hope your first cook with the ssv3 turns into a success. Please give us a quick review how it worked for you and your likes and dislikes. I have been thinking about getting that controller and your input will help me decide.

Hub, please give your thoughts on the ssv3 if you don't mind.

Anybody else have and use this controller, please chime in.

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »

Hub, please give your thoughts on the ssv3 if you don't mind.

It is a bit early for me to say much about mine, but all directions are positive.  I had the old 225 "out of controller" prior to the SS and the difference is pretty dramatic.  I still get temp swings but they are small enough to be irrelevant.  The flexibility and range of control is likely way beyond my needs.  I use my NOS American Traeger Texas to cook ribs in competition in addition to home cooking and the SS is a big improvement.

One very minor problem was some minor contact with the fan on the auger motor.  This was solved by clipping the blades since the fan serves no useful function, anyway.

Disclaimer:  The inventor and maker of the controller is my cooking team partner, Billy Merrill.  He installed it for me since I'm currently having an arthritis problem in my hands, but installation is straightforward and I would otherwise install it myself.  The instructions that come with it are very clear and there's even a "quick start" section for the impatient.  This controller is a good value proposition and I'd say that anyway, even if it didn't have a connection to the manufacturer.  If you have a Traeger and don't have a Savannah Stoker, you need to get one.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline PAR-TEE

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »
IR2dum my first cook was a success everyone really enjoyed the ribs and beans.

Like NUB it is a little early for me to give much feedback since it was my first cook with the new controller but I will give you the feedback I have:

1. I also had the issue of the fan just hitting one of the wires on the back of the controller. I solved the issue by making a small spacer to slide over the back of the controller between the faceplate and the grill and just used a little bit longer screw to hold the controller in place. Worked like a charm

2. Overall install was a snap. It came with good instructions and I had it in in a few minutes. I did add a couple small wire connectors to the temp probe wires instead of trying to wrap those tiny wires around the screw terminals. Seams to work fine haven't had any issues yet but well see.

3. The thing holds temp like a champ, I cooked my ribs for about 6 hours and took notes every 30 min and the largest temp swing I got the whole time was 5 degrees. That was with the fan set to medium or 2 and temp at 225.

Lastly and my only real concern/possible draw back is there was not as much smoke at 225 with the ssv3 that there was with the original controller. I'm still trying to figure out if there is a way to adjust the settings to produce more smoke or if I will need to add a secondary smoke producing product. It's seams like it holds the temp so good that you don't get the swings needed to produce more smoke but that's just an impression from watching a first cook I don't really know the true reason for the lack of smoke.

Overall it seams to be a well made product and I'm happy with my purchase. It has more settings than I will probably ever know or play with so the possibilities are endless and it looks really good on my texas grill.

Hope that helps if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks
jim

Jim

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
Even temps and less temp swings equals less smoke. The more temp swings you get the more smoke you will get. You can create swings when running the PID in manual mode and changing the output power to percentages. Not sure if this mode is available with the SS3 or not.

I have a Memphis pellet grill. The way it creates smoke at lower temps is by throttling the fan on and off. This causes a bellowing effect on the pellet fire creating smoke while maintaining a even temp.

This is all done automatically by the Memphis controller.

It is a tough balance to get very even temps and have a lot of smoke in a pellet grill.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline PAR-TEE

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
Yeah makes sense muebe. I will have to look and see if the percentages setting is available on the ssv3. I also think I see an A-Maze-N tube in my near future.

thanks
Jim

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 02:31:30 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback. The lack of smoke (because my PID is so steady at set temp) is the reason I am looking into the SSv3. Seems like it might not improve the smoke output much. I was hoping that it regulated the fan speed like muebe's Memphis. I have to give muebe credit because he gave me the info and the numbers to get my PID running so smoothly and accurately. I use the Amazen Maize to add extra smoke flavor and it works real well. I still like the looks of the SSv3.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
I have had my SSv3 since Late Dec. last year, well satisfied. I just did a 2 hour cook of smoked peanuts, 1 hour at 190 deg. and 1 hour at 200 deg. I was using some new settings Billy sent me and they worked great. I had plenty of smoke. I am doing a long cook tomorrow, a pork butt and will post some more on the controller after the cook. I have stayed with fan speed 3 so far. I checked the wires after installing and made sure they were clear. After starting with the Traeger 180 and then the Ortech I know I am going to love this controller on my Traeger 07E. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/