Author Topic: Multiple meat hunks on a MES 30  (Read 1564 times)

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
Multiple meat hunks on a MES 30
« Reply #-1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Hi All!

I'm going to be cooking pulled pork for quite a crowd this weekend, 50 or so.  I've never cooked more than one butt at a time, so I am a little concerned about overloading the smoker.  I actually have access to three different MES 30 smokers...ha, but I am wondering if I really need to use all of them.  I figure on adding a little more time to the cook for multiple hunks.  Anyone ever cooked 2 10 pound butts in one smoker?  Work ok? I know there are many variables and I will be smoking with plenty of time to rest cause we all know its done when its done!
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Multiple meat hunks on a MES 30
« on: June 01, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
2 - 10 pounders will be o.k. but you are right on about not "overloading"...
The meat - being cool ( even if you allow it sit a while at room temp for before placing in the MES...which helps) will adsorb a lot of the BTUs being produced by the cooker - until the temp of the meat starts coming up. Then...we have the stall to consider. So, you could see perhaps an additional 2-4 hours total cook time to a potential target meat temp of 205F
205F is just a reference. I find that some butts will pull with little to no resistance at 10 degrees cooler. So, was for the bones protruding, and probe the meat with bamboo skewers or similar for that "like butter" consistency. Then you know it is done, regardless of temp.

Don't be afraid to push the cooking temp to 275F on these butts.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply....I feel a little more confident with my choices having heard your opinion.  I will start my cook the night before, I can always foil and hold it for several hours but trying a pray a butt to finish rarely works out!

I have also had butts pull easily at a temp I thought it might not have.  Then again, resting it for 2 hours is hard to do with a house full of hungry people so maybe i was imagining things.
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
You are always welcome!
If you can grab a remote probe thermometer and run the cable thru the vent, and put the probe into one of the butts, it will help you with timing.
And - for deeper flavor, apply a lower salt rub well in advance  - perhaps a day or 2 - and plastic bag or wrap - and leave in the fridge until ready to smoke.

Best of luck - and let us know how it turns out.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rhltechie

• South Carolina
    • A Chick and Her Grill
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
I usually do the rub just like you said....along with letting the meat come up in temp before shoving it into the smoker.  I've been using a maverick with the remote for years....i love being able to have it sitting in the house (specially when its 90 degrees and 110% humidity!).   Although I am pretty jealous of those tappeque systems I have seen!

I will try to remember pictures...i get so carried away! :)
Rec Tec Mini
MES 30