Author Topic: I guess I'm a Dork  (Read 1785 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
I guess I'm a Dork
« Reply #-1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
So I bought this thing for doing sausage in a hot water bath. Found out today it is a very useful tool for both SOUS VIDE COOKING & the hot water bath for sausage. Think it was money well spent.
So first I put very cold water from my well into the slow cooker. It took a long time to get up to the 158 degrees I had set the controller to. Over two hours. Once the temp got up there I than vac sealed two skinless, boneless chicken breasts with seasoning and garlic butter .
I used ever temp reading device I had in the house to monitor the temp. They where all with in a degree of each other. The DSV temperature controller being the lowest of them all but like I said it was only 1 degree.

The chicken breast where covered in some of this and garlic butter.

After being seared on the back side of the grill grates

My sons meal

He came into the kitchen and said Dad this is the best chicken...said it is so moist and doesn't get stuck in his throat. That was good enough for me to give it a winning HIGH FIVE

Pretty steady temp once it settled out to set point.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:25:31 PM by smokendevo »

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: I guess I'm a Dork
« on: October 12, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »
Awesome! Another member of the Bath Tub Boys has arrived ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Hinesville, Georgia
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »
Awesome! Another member of the Bath Tub Boys has arrived ;)

Congrats Devo! Looks delicious! Wait to you do a chuck roast or bottom round, it will amaze you!
Mike

GMG Davy Crockett Pellet grill
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Weber 22 Kettle
Weber Jumbo Joe
Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron Pellet Grill
Charbroil SRG
Slow n Sear
Drip n Griddle

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
My son said I look like a mad scientist with all those wires hooked up to the crock pot trying to get a pig to come back to life
I dont know maybe he is right  ;D

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
Awesome looking chicken breast, now you're hooked.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »
My son said I look like a mad scientist with all those wires hooked up to the crock pot trying to get a pig to come back to life
I dont know maybe he is right  ;D

;D ;D ;D  chicken looks great, devo!

Offline ChiefDork

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
That looks great, thanks for sharing!  What are the red and white lines on the graph, just two different temperature probes?

We do have a procedure to "offset" the temperature on your DSV so that it matches your preferred thermometer.  We try to ensure that the DSV is accurate to within a degree but there is a little bit of variation between devices because of manufacturing differences in the thermistor and internal resistors (we bias in favor of "overcooking" so that potential variation doesn't present a safety risk). 

Temperature Offset Instructions
  • Plug in DSV
  • Enter the S1 temperature setup menu as usual (hold and press SET until S1 is displayed and the target temperature starts blinking.  Then release SET)
  • Enter the S2 menu by pressing and holding SET again, (this time for about 7 seconds) until S2 and "Cn" is displayed.
  • Inside the S2 menu, There are a number of choices (Cn, U, Of, Op, At, Int).  Press up or down until "oF" is displayed (as in "Offset") and press SET.  After this, the DSV will display two digits (such as "05" if the factory offset was 0.5F).
  • Press up or down to adjust the offset in the positive or negative direction by tenths of a degree ("120" would be a +12F offset, "-30" would be a -3.0F offset).  Press SET.  You will be returned back to the "oF" menu option label.
  • Save and exit by pressing and holding SET again for about 7-10 seconds until a swirling indicator shows that it is saving your choice and you are returned to the normal operating mode where current temperature is displayed.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
I guess I'm a Dork
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »
The graph is from the I-grill and yes it has two temp probes. One for the food the other to monitor the cabinet temp. They never are exactly the same when i have tested them.

Sent from my I-Phone

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
Dang Devo, looks awesome and your making want to spend some money ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »
Drew - the Dorfoods DSV is absolutely the best value in Sous Vide. Why?...

Because I will bet you already own a crock pot. And maybe even a turkey roaster. And - anything else that you can control with the DSV.... :D

So - for less than $100 US - you are in business!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
MAK 2 Star General #48-2
Weber EP-330
Weber  Performer Stainless Table!
Big Easy SRG
Rec-Tec Pellet Grill!!!!
Smokin'Tex 1405 -
PBC