Author Topic: Blackened bottom of pans and pots when cooking on gas or wood.  (Read 24108 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Blackened bottom of pans and pots when cooking on gas or wood.
« Reply #-1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
Most times when I cook on a stove outside I get black soot on the bottom of the pot or pan I'm cooking with. I understand that occurs when you don't have the right gas/air mixture.  Be that as it may, how do you prevent it?  I've heard you can cost the bottom of the pot with dish washing liquid and that will prevent it. Any ideas or suggestions?  Dee
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:58:12 PM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
I did a search for this and found that making adjustments to the air/fuel mixture until the flame is all blue, no yellow is one way.  Another suggestion is to check and see if any little critters , like spiders, have made any webs inside, that will disrupt the air/fuel mixture too.   Clean out any foreign debris if present then see if there is an adjustment for the air/fuel mixture and get that blue flame.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Blackened bottom of pans and pots when cooking on gas or wood.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:02:47 AM »
Cajun is correct you want the bluest flame with no yellow. Early cooking out I bought a Moron fish friar. It had the familiar round cast iron burner with a venturi tube that mixes the gas and air. After about two years all I could get was a yellow flame. I called the co. and said I think I need a new burner. They said that burner should last a lifetime; you probably have something plugging the venturi tube. I went to a Weber store and found a venturi brush, cleaned it out and got my blue flame. I have that brush hanging in my smoker deck. I also use a cast iron diffuser on my gas burner. I think it helps but I think even with a nice blue flame I get some black on the pot. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:24:39 AM »
The air/fuel mixture is the the key. Without the proper air to fuel mixture you have incomplete combustion. The soot that forms on the bottom of the pan is carbon caused when the products of combustion are not completely converted to energy. An incorrect air/fuel mixture on a gas burner will cause sooting. This can be deadly on gas fueled heating appliances like a wall furnace or forced air unit for example. Many times improper cleaning of burner compartments will cause plugged venturris and sooting to form. Then dangerous CO can enter the home and possibly kill everyone in the home.

Also having the pan too low on the flame can interrupt the inner cone of the blue flame causing sooting. This can happen when a burner head is mis-aligned or higher than normal causing impingement on the burner grate or pan itself. Anytime the inner cone is interrupted on a flame it will cause excessive sooting.

When cooking over a wood fire it would be nearly impossible to avoid the carbon forming on the pan but keeping the pan higher above the fire will help. The more the flame touches the pan the more carbon will form.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 07:31:03 AM »
Most times when I cook on a stove outside I get black soot on the bottom of the pot or pan I'm cooking with. I understand that occurs when you don't have the right gas/air mixture.  Be that as it may, how do you prevent it?  I've heard you can cost the bottom of the pot with dish washing liquid and that will prevent it. Any ideas or suggestions?  Dee
Don't use your wife's good pans!
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
I also notice that when there is even a slight breeze the air/gas mixture gets changed and there is more yellow than I'd like.  I've never tried the dish washing liquid trick and I'll do it sometime and give y'all a report.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »
  I've never tried the dish washing liquid trick and I'll do it sometime and give y'all a report.  Dee

I've read in several other places that the dish washing liquid tricks works too. I've never tried it but would be interested in hearing the results.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline AF5W

Blackened bottom of pans and pots when cooking on gas or wood.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »
Liquid dish detergent works well when cooking on open wood fire coals, never tried it on gas.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
Liquid dish detergent works well when cooking on open wood fire coals, never tried it on gas.

I cook outside on wood all summer long..the dish washing liquid works for outdoor cooking ONLY, you will have a mess inside and wish you hadn't.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline AF5W

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »

I cook outside on wood all summer long..the dish washing liquid works for outdoor cooking ONLY, you will have a mess inside and wish you hadn't.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Sounds like there was some hard earned wisdom there Ms Pam!  Best teacher?

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
when I was in the boyscouts, we learned to coat the bottom of pans with soap, but we didn't use liquid soap, we used bars of soap and they did the trick just fine.  You could cook over an open flame and the pots would be no worse for wear.

and the bar soap doesn't make a mess, I wouldn't hesitate to use it indoors as far as a mess, but I'm not a chemist and have no idea if heating soap puts off some kind of toxic fumes.
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline DWard51

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Oh mercy me, a flashback to eons ago when I was an organic chemistry major in college...

The chemical makeup of Propane is C3H8.  When burned in the presence of Oxygen, the by products of a perfect burn are carbon dioxide, water and heat.  Insufficient oxygen in the burn gives soot water and heat, with soot being pure carbon, and some carbon monoxide thrown in for good measure.  So the answer is to open your air intake vane a little more if you have and adjustment for the air intake.