Author Topic: Doing the Happy Dance  (Read 1955 times)

Offline rwalters

Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
Dang, nice work on those ducks!!!  Bet those tasted amazing!

Foiling is totally personal preference-- some folks like you do the full meal deal and contour the foil to the Flame Zone pan and poke holes, then foil the covers as well. 

Others do like Cliff and just burn it all off in the oven.  I personally do kinda half and half... if i'm doing low and slow, I'll just lay a couple sheets of foil down on top of the covers, and peel it off after I'm done.   If I'm doing direct grilling, I don't bother foiling the perforated FlameZone drip pan. 

As Cliff also mentioned, good airflow is imperative for the grill to operate as it should, so you do need to be mindful of not covering over the holes in the SIDES of the FZ drip pan-- basically you want your foil to go right up to the edge, but not wrap around to block those holes on all four sides. 

I will say it IS easier to do cleanup when you do it regularly, rather than letting gunk build up for ages, which can lead to performance issues.  Obviously don't have to get it sparkling clean every single time, but... a few minutes after each couple of cooks can save you quite a bit of time in the long run!
Thanks Kat! Based on your recommendation, I'll be cooking "naked" most of the time...lol!!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Chasinsparks

Re: Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »
Dang, nice work on those ducks!!!  Bet those tasted amazing!

Foiling is totally personal preference-- some folks like you do the full meal deal and contour the foil to the Flame Zone pan and poke holes, then foil the covers as well. 

Others do like Cliff and just burn it all off in the oven.  I personally do kinda half and half... if i'm doing low and slow, I'll just lay a couple sheets of foil down on top of the covers, and peel it off after I'm done.   If I'm doing direct grilling, I don't bother foiling the perforated FlameZone drip pan. 

As Cliff also mentioned, good airflow is imperative for the grill to operate as it should, so you do need to be mindful of not covering over the holes in the SIDES of the FZ drip pan-- basically you want your foil to go right up to the edge, but not wrap around to block those holes on all four sides. 

I will say it IS easier to do cleanup when you do it regularly, rather than letting gunk build up for ages, which can lead to performance issues.  Obviously don't have to get it sparkling clean every single time, but... a few minutes after each couple of cooks can save you quite a bit of time in the long run!

Thanks the Ducks were simply amazing! I foil everything and take my time to ensure all hole and slots are left open. Sure makes cleaning easy, I shop vac mine after each use and give it a good cleaning.

Duck Tip, prior to cooking cut slits all over ensuring to get the skin and the fat (not the meat) then pour boiling water all over the ducks, you will see the skin draw nice and taught. the slots allow for the fat to render out and the skin to become nice and crispy. I put the ducks on two upright stands and then stood the in a pan on the grill so I could collect the fat (duck fat fries)
"I Served 1995-2015"

MAK 2 Star 3182

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
Foiling is totally personal preference...

Thanks Kat! Based on your recommendation, I'll be cooking "naked" most of the time...lol!!

PLEASE, do NOT post pics of that!!!     ??? :D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline rwalters

Doing the Happy Dance
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 09:43:30 PM »
Foiling is totally personal preference...

PLEASE, do NOT post pics of that!!!     ??? :D
We'll call it the "gouge your eyes out and don't eat for a week" LTBBQ weight loss plan.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)