Author Topic: Eye Of Round  (Read 2251 times)

Offline zak99b5

Eye Of Round
« Reply #-1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »
Mrs. Zak pulled a smaller piece (1& 2/3#) of Eye of Round out of the freezer tonight for the weekend.

Her idea was to use it for peppered stout beef, which the family loves, but of course it's not the right cut for that! 

I told her we'd just do it the "regular" way on the PBC, like how we did the tri tip and prime rib.

My plan was to coat it with olive oil, crushed garlic (from a bottle), and McCormack's Montreal Steak seasoning.  This is absolutely fantastic on prime rib.

But eye of round doesn't have the fat content of prime rib, or tri tip for that matter.  So I started to think I would coat it in Worcestershire sauce then use Beef & Game rub.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough B&G for the roast, so I'll have to supplement it a little with Lawrey's and some other things I have around.

Pics to come after the meat thaws and I get to seasoning it.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Eye Of Round
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »
Sounds good, but waiting to see it to make sure  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »
In order to preserve moisture an tenderness... it needs fat. But - you can take a healthy oil...olive oil or others... and coat it well. This will help. You could also fine grind some seasonings, blend them into the oil, and inject small amounts in numerous places on the meat. Allow it to rest overbite in the fridge - then cook.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:51:49 AM »
We've done Eye of Round low & slow with some great results.

Coat with some yellow, or better yet, brown mustard and whatever seasoning you like (you do not need oil for this method).  Stick a probe in the center to monitor the Internal Temperature, and roast in your smoker relatively low & slow, around 250° - 275°, until it reaches about 120° - 130° I.T. (depending on whether you like it more rare, or mid-rare). Do NOT go beyond 130°

Lastly, and this is crucial, for tender eye of round you MUST allow it to rest, tented with foil (not wrapped), for a MINIMUM 30 - 45 MINUTES!!!  It will continue to rise in temperature about 8° or so during the rest.  When the Internal Temp levels out and starts to drop, THAT'S when you know it's ready to slice.

I mean it;  Do NOT cook it beyond 130°, and for 30 - 45 minutes do NOT cut into it, don't touch it, don't even look at it!   You will be rewarded with a surprisingly fairly tender, juicy and flavorful cut of inexpensive meat.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
We've done Eye of Round low & slow with some great results.

Coat with some yellow, or better yet, brown mustard and whatever seasoning you like (you do not need oil for this method).  Stick a probe in the center to monitor the Internal Temperature, and roast in your smoker relatively low & slow, around 250° - 275°, until it reaches about 120° - 130° I.T. (depending on whether you like it more rare, or mid-rare). Do NOT go beyond 130°

Lastly, and this is crucial, for tender eye of round you MUST allow it to rest, tented with foil (not wrapped), for a MINIMUM 30 - 45 MINUTES!!!  It will continue to rise in temperature about 8° or so during the rest.  When the Internal Temp levels out and starts to drop, THAT'S when you know it's ready to slice.

I mean it;  Do NOT cook it beyond 130°, and for 30 - 45 minutes do NOT cut into it, don't touch it, don't even look at it!   You will be rewarded with a surprisingly fairly tender, juicy and flavorful cut of inexpensive meat.

Wow! You cant go wrong with that kind of advice! Im actually going to bookmark this one so I dont screw it up!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

Yes, definitely pulling it at 125*.

I do have some very good Polish mustard.  I think I'll use that.
PBC

Offline Pappymn

Eye Of Round
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
Great tips. Gonna try them
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »
Great advice by Tom.  I also like to slice as thin as possible. We will do the eye, bottom/top round in the crock-pot while we are out and about and it is butter tender at the end of the day. Of course it is not sliceable at that point but it is inexpensive and filling.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 07:55:37 AM »
Ok, time for the pics.

I gave it a sprinkle of koshering salt, then I slathered it in Worcestershire sauce and Kosciusko beer mustard.

I wound up having enough Beef&Game for the meat.

Pulled it as soon as it hit 125* which took about an hour.

I let it rest for half an hour, then sliced thin with my electric knife.

I'm not normally a rester.  I kind of wish I hadn't let this rest so long.

It did taste good and was very juicy, but most of that was on the cutting board then onto the serving plate.  Without mopping it in the juice, it was little dry.  The delicious bites were where there was a small piece of fat, which you can see ran along the right side in the last picture.

So while it was overall good, I wouldn't rush out to buy another.
PBC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
Looks very good!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
Quote from: zak99b5

First, trust me, you did the RIGHT thing by letting it rest that long, or you'd have ended up with ALL the juice on the cutting board. 

Now...  judging by the pic, it looks a little more Medium+  than Med-Rare, so it probably was NOT as tender as it could've been.  That may be due to the temps in your PBC.   The higher temp you cook it, the more carry-over heat you will get, so with the PBC you may need to pull it even sooner.  Next time try pulling it off at 115° - 118°, AND rest just like you did this time.

For resting something like this, the key is not so much the amount of time, but rather waiting until the temp levels out and actually starts to drop before slicing into it.  That ensures that the muscle is relaxed and as tender and juicy as possible.  And THAT is what will take 30 - 45 minutes.

Don't be afraid to try another one of these.  It took me a few of them to get one right.

Here's a couple we did:

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »
Wow. :thumbup:
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Pappymn

Eye Of Round
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »
Quote from: zak99b5

First, trust me, you did the RIGHT thing by letting it rest that long, or you'd have ended up with ALL the juice on the cutting board. 

Now...  judging by the pic, it looks a little more Medium+  than Med-Rare, so it probably was NOT as tender as it could've been.  That may be due to the temps in your PBC.   The higher temp you cook it, the more carry-over heat you will get, so with the PBC you may need to pull it even sooner.  Next time try pulling it off at 115° - 118°, AND rest just like you did this time.

For resting something like this, the key is not so much the amount of time, but rather waiting until the temp levels out and actually starts to drop before slicing into it.  That ensures that the muscle is relaxed and as tender and juicy as possible.  And THAT is what will take 30 - 45 minutes.

Don't be afraid to try another one of these.  It took me a few of them to get one right.

Here's a couple we did:

I tried this tonight and it turned out much better then before. Took a cheap cut of beef and made it pretty tender and juicy.
I was really sceptical of the mustard with the beef, but it was really good
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109