Author Topic: New member  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
Welcome from Minnesota and a Mak owner
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: New member
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
Welcome from a low serial number MAK owner in North Carolina.  If I had it to do over again, I would get the new MAK One Star.  Great quality and service.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Preich

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »
I love my MAK! What's the budget? Knowing that will help a bunch w/ our recommendations.
I know the MAKs are supposed to be great, but the MAK 1 seems a little small for the price. I take it you like it?

First, welcome to the forum!

As a MAK 1 Star owner I can tell you it's anything but small for the price.  Do NOT be fooled by it's apparent small footprint. With the full upper rack doubles its capacity and it holds a lot of food.

Check out this post I made of last year's Marching Band cookout I did using my 2014 model 1 Star, which is not even as big as the 2017 models.  Four whole pork shoulders (4 butts + 4 picnics); enough for 140 hungry band kids, staff & volunteers: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=18114.msg239166;topicseen#msg239166

I am in the process of reviewing the latest model 1 star here: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20208.0

One thing to keep in mind when comparing prices is that shipping is already included in the price of a MAK.

Hopefully, I just made your decision even harder!  :P  :D

Cliff
You sure did, thanks for your very informative response, review and pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Preich

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »
I love my MAK! What's the budget? Knowing that will help a bunch w/ our recommendations.
Well, subject to my real budget overseer (my wife!), 1k to $2k (stretching it at $2k). Have been leaning toward Rec Tec, lately interested in blazngrillworks grid iron, and also waiting on some hands-on reviews of the new traeger timberline, though I am reluctant to buy into a new model. I know the MAKs are supposed to be great, but the MAK 1 seems a little small for the price. I take it you like it?

I own the Blazn Grillworks Gridiron and it is a tank! Well built with an excellent controller. I have cooked on the Rec Tec and the Mak. You can't go wrong with any of those choices in my opinion. I don't know about the Timberline since there still isn't a lot of information available on it.
Thanks, I think right now I am deciding between gridiron and MAK 1. I like that they are both made in America vs Rec Tec. Customer reviews are very positive about GWorks, but I have read a few stray complaints about interior paint burning, warped grease pan, and lid, and haven't seen clear information about resolution. I know if you read customer reviews long enough, you will find this, but was wondering if you had any insight on that?

Offline Preich

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
No advice......just a welcome from the Southern Tier of New York.
Thanks, from a fellow NYer!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
Well, subject to my real budget overseer (my wife!), 1k to $2k (stretching it at $2k). Have been leaning toward Rec Tec, lately interested in blazngrillworks grid iron, and also waiting on some hands-on reviews of the new traeger timberline, though I am reluctant to buy into a new model. I know the MAKs are supposed to be great, but the MAK 1 seems a little small for the price. I take it you like it?

I own the Blazn Grillworks Gridiron and it is a tank! Well built with an excellent controller. I have cooked on the Rec Tec and the Mak. You can't go wrong with any of those choices in my opinion. I don't know about the Timberline since there still isn't a lot of information available on it.
Thanks, I think right now I am deciding between gridiron and MAK 1. I like that they are both made in America vs Rec Tec. Customer reviews are very positive about GWorks, but I have read a few stray complaints about interior paint burning, warped grease pan, and lid, and haven't seen clear information about resolution. I know if you read customer reviews long enough, you will find this, but was wondering if you had any insight on that?

Here is the review I did on the Grid Iron over 3 years ago. I have had no problems with the interior paint burning, warped grease pan and lid. I did add a downdraft hood for more even temps and upgraded the stock at the time controller to their new one. I believe the new controller, which by the way, is also on the Rec Tec, Memphis Grill and a few others. The only other thing I have done and only after it went out of warranty was tweak the controller settings to my specifications and needs. Blazn will tell you not to mess with it and won't give you the settings, but there are ways to do it and make it work. But in saying all that if I ever decide to replace the Grid Iron or it fails I will be purchasing the Mak 1 Star. Their customer service is fantastic and a lot better than Blazn in my opinion. Hope this helps you!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Preich

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »

Here is the review I did on the Grid Iron over 3 years ago. I have had no problems with the interior paint burning, warped grease pan and lid. I did add a downdraft hood for more even temps and upgraded the stock at the time controller to their new one. I believe the new controller, which by the way, is also on the Rec Tec, Memphis Grill and a few others. The only other thing I have done and only after it went out of warranty was tweak the controller settings to my specifications and needs. Blazn will tell you not to mess with it and won't give you the settings, but there are ways to do it and make it work. But in saying all that if I ever decide to replace the Grid Iron or it fails I will be purchasing the Mak 1 Star. Their customer service is fantastic and a lot better than Blazn in my opinion. Hope this helps you!
Very helpful, thank you!

Offline Preich

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 10:08:44 PM »
I know the MAKs are supposed to be great, but the MAK 1 seems a little small for the price. I take it you like it?

First, welcome to the forum!

As a MAK 1 Star owner I can tell you it's anything but small for the price.  Do NOT be fooled by it's apparent small footprint. With the full upper rack doubles its capacity and it holds a lot of food.

Check out this post I made of last year's Marching Band cookout I did using my 2014 model 1 Star, which is not even as big as the 2017 models.  Four whole pork shoulders (4 butts + 4 picnics); enough for 140 hungry band kids, staff & volunteers: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=18114.msg239166;topicseen#msg239166

I am in the process of reviewing the latest model 1 star here: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20208.0

One thing to keep in mind when comparing prices is that shipping is already included in the price of a MAK.

Hopefully, I just made your decision even harder!  :P  :D

Cliff
One more question: does the controller except only MAK probes, or is it universal I e can I use my maverick probes?

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 10:19:30 PM »
One more question: does the controller except only MAK probes, or is it universal I e can I use my maverick probes?

Maverick probes will not work with a MAK.

Generally speaking, most probes are not universal.  Not even all Maverick models will use the same probes.

F.Y.I.  The MAK's come with a probe.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Preich

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 10:29:34 PM »
Thanks!

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »
Welcome from N. Ontario Canada.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 12:58:21 AM »
Welcome from northern Cali.  Memphis and mak owner.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Hub

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 06:17:50 AM »
Here's another NC welcome  ;D.

The happiest pellet cooker owners aren't necessarily tied to one brand of cooker but are, instead, those who know how to choose the best cooker for their needs and then learn how to use it well.  Alas, commercials don't help much.  Here's one way to get around the hype:

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2641.0
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2647.0

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Roget

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
Greetings from Indiana.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 03:09:49 PM »
As you can see we all have opinions about the grills we own (and you know what they say about opinions  :D). 

No one's goal is to "push" one grill or another, but rather to answer your questions and concerns that you've expressed, and to share what our experiences have been.

I personally own two different pellet grills and have cooked on a few others.  Each has it's own pros/cons, and there are reasons why they're priced where they are.

So keep asking questions, do your research (including Hub's articles), decide what's most important to you: quality, price, capacity, accessories, where it's made, customer support, etc.  Then you'll be better equipped to make the best decision for your wants/needs.

Cliff

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68