Author Topic: BASIC Guacamole  (Read 17389 times)

Offline Hub

BASIC Guacamole
« Reply #-1 on: May 05, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
It's been too long since I shared a "BASIC" with everybody.  So, here's one that'll get you some compliments if you're willing to get a feel for it and make it your own.  Have fun with it  ;D

BASIC GUACAMOLE   

It isn’t often that “health food” also happens to taste good and make you want seconds but if you aren’t one of the many who are avocado averse there’s a real treat in the proper use of this miracle fruit (no, it isn’t a veggie).  One of my faves is guacamole – a sort of “salad” that is mainly a dip for chips or crackers but that is also good on sandwiches or as a side dish.  Here’s a simple recipe that you can tweak to your own taste preferences by adjusting amounts or even adding and deleting ingredients.  Have fun!

Ingredients:

4-5 ripe avocados (ripe ones are dark colored and semi-soft to the touch)
1 fresh lime
2-3 Roma tomatoes (not too ripe)
1 medium yellow onion
2 fresh jalapeno peppers
½ cup fresh cilantro sprigs
4 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar

Methodology:

The success of this recipe/approach is much more in the making than in the precision of the ingredients.  Here’s how to get it right . . .

1.   Slice in half, de-seed (pluck it out by slamming a knife into it and twisting it) and scoop the avocado “meat” away from the skin using a big spoon.  Put your work in a flat-bottomed bowl and use a potato masher to make the avocados into a sort of paste – lumps are okay, though and an option is to dice them instead.  Take your pick.
2.   Roll the lime around on the counter with your palm or put it in the microwave and nuke it for 10-15 seconds then slice it in two and squeeze out the juice, catching the seeds and discarding them.  Pour the lime juice into the avocado mash or dices and stir a bit.  This will add some zesty bite to the basically bland fruit and will also keep it from turning brown in the open air.
3.   Dice the tomatoes finely and discard juice and seeds.  I recommend Romas because they stay firm even when ripe.  You can use other kinds but your guacamole may be runnier.  Dump the tomatoes into the bowl but don’t mix them in yet.
4.   Dice the onion extremely finely.  Little bits of sharp onion make the best mouth feel.  Big chunks can be overwhelming and result in tastes that are more onion than anything else.  Toss the onion in the bowl and, again, don’t stir yet.
5.   De-seed and de-vein the jalapenos if you don’t want any added heat from them or leave a few seeds and veins if you’d like a little heat.  Like the other veggies above, dice them very finely to get the best taste impact.  Again, don’t stir them in, just toss them in the bowl.
6.   Chop the cilantro leaves and short stems, discard any big thick stems.  Never use dried cilantro because it will overpower everything else and may even taste “soapy”.  Fresh cilantro is sweet-smelling and mild.  Add to the bowl – don’t stir.
7.   Toss in the finely chopped garlic – don’t stir yet.
8.   Salt is both the salvation and the enemy of this dish.  You want just enough to “edge out” flavor and absolutely no more.  Almost all guacamole gets over-salted and loses a lot of flavor in the process.  You want to taste the gentle flavors of the ingredients, not the bite of the salt.  Start with the recommended amount and no more.  Don’t stir!
9.   Apple cider vinegar is the “emulsifier” in this recipe.  You won’t taste it but if you leave it out you’ll get a less satisfactory result.  Just trust me on this.
10.   Get a big old spoon and stir this stuff until your arm hurts.
11.   Taste it.  Resist the urge to make any huge changes yet.  Tweak a little here and there but don’t overdo it.  There’s one more very important step . . .
12.   Cover the bowl with Saran and put it in the refrigerator for at least twelve hours.  Yes.  Half a day at least.  Resist the urge to grab that bag of tortilla chips and snarf it all down before anyone else is around to challenge you.  Great guacamole needs to “cook” in the fridge.  You’ll be absolutely amazed how much better it is the next day if you can be patient.  I’m not kidding.  Good luck.

Results:  One bowl of green goop that is as good as meat (but not quite as good as meat gravy).  I promise.  It’s high calorie but the calories come from monounsaturated fat instead of bad fats and it also has boat load of vitamins and minerals.  Don’t tell anyone it’s health food and they’ll never guess.

Variations and Suggestions:

Bring up the heat level with some good hot sauce (not Texas Pete).  Use the jalapenos anyway but keep them thoroughly cleaned up and seedless in the mix.  It is easier to adjust the heat level with good hot sauce (Sriracha, Tapatillo, Tabasco, Cholula) than with raw peppers.

Amounts and sizes in the recipe are not critical and not exact.  After you’ve made a batch or two you’ll be your own expert on guacamole construction.  That’s how my “Basic” recipes work.  I get you started and you tune your own instrument after that.

Serve guacamole well chilled.  Stir it up before serving because it will separate and get a little watery in the fridge.  Easy to fix.

Use guacamole as a dip for chips or as a spread on sandwiches.  Try a schmear on a piece of good black bread. 

Try making “Green Goddess” salad dressing with a 50/50 mixture of sour cream and this guacamole.  Add a bit more vinegar and a touch of honey.  Bet you've never had Green Goddess like it!

Bon Apetit  :)

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin3d

• DEADEYEDANIEL
Re: BASIC Guacamole
« on: May 06, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »
Nice post hub! My ole lady gonna be making this. Thanks booked marked.
Rec Tec 700 BULL
Blackstone 17 inch
Blackstone 36 with surround table
Broil king signat 20
PBC
Po' Man grill
Weber 26 kettle
Weber smokey joe
Vortex
Slow n sear XL
Thermoworks SMOKE
Breville Smart Oven Air Convection Toaster Oven
John OHIO

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
Bookmarked.  Love guac being from Cali.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
And just in time for:

Thanks ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline rwalters

BASIC Guacamole
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »
Thanks Hub! Saw this post, ran to the store...and it is now peacefully resting in the fridge :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »
Love guacamole, and that recipe is right on the money,..  :thumbup:
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline deb415611

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »
love guacamole

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »
Bookmarked!  thanks, I love guac and this sounds much more tasteful than what i've been making.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4